infineon4engi@twitter infineon4engineers infineon@linkedin infineon@youtube
twitter Facebook Linkedin Youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High side switches reverse battery protection

Beginner Beginner suly is on a distinguished road

High side switches reverse battery protection

Hi everybody,

I see that the Infineon smart high side switches provide battery reverse protection, by connecting a 150 ohm resistor in GND as a current limiter.
    Just as a reference see the note at the bottom of the first page in the ITS711 datasheet.

http://goo.gl/UYabFM

Nothing is stated about the power dissipation of this resistor, but, from the diagram at page 9 of the same datasheet, it appears to be

(Vbb - Vtvs) ^2 / 150

This is 5.68W, with 30V reverse battery voltage and an estimated 0.8V drop on the internal TVS diode, and then quite a large value.

Is my estimation correct?

Many thanks in advance for any comment.

Marco

Intermediate Intermediate
    Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Luxun is on a distinguished road
    Hi Marco,

I think the internal zener diode is in blocking direction, how do you come up with 0.8 V drop voltage?

Luxun

Hi Luxun,

the internal zener diode is conducting because it is forward biased, i.e. with plus on anode and minus on cathode and then, in this situation, it acts as a normal diode.

Please see attachment.

Marco
    ?????
    Last edited by suly; Dec 22nd, 2015 at 08:27 AM.

It would be nice to have some more comments ...

Marco

b123
    Hi,

I think you can use a schottky diode instead of 150 ohm resistor for this purpose.

Hi b123,

first of all, thanks for your comment.

Your porposal seems to me very appropriate, but what makes me puzzled is why Infineon suggests the use of a resistor that ends up to be unreasonabling huge.
    What do you think?

Marco

Hi Damon,

I agree with you, but why Infineon reccomends to use a 150 ohm resistor in a lot of datasheets?

Marco

Beginner Beginner
    Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Schulz is on a distinguished road
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RGND.PNG
Views:	0
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2228

My guess is that this zener diode in the ITS711 datasheet (here in the picture VZ2) should explain the overvoltage protection. Regarding the reverse power protection there are only the path of the output with the load, where the load has to limit the current, and the path of GND to the Status pin ST, where RGND has to limit the current. Do you have a sample on hand to check this and measure the current into the pin GND with R=150Ohms connected?
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Hi Schulz,

tanks for your comment

Currently I don't have a chip to test but, from the schematic that you posted, we can see that, in the event of battery reverse, the main path that causes power dissipation on the board, is through VZ2 and Rgnd.
    In this situation VZ2 is conducting because it is forwarded biased, and then it acts as a normal diode with a drop voltage that we can estimate of about 0.7 1 V.

So Rgnd is the only current limiting element, and it has to dissipate several watts.

Marco
    Last edited by suly; Apr 5th, 2016 at 11:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.