MemTool 4 - Bootloader activation for the XMC4500

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User4287
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

I wonder how to operate the firmware download to the XMC4500 via the ASC Bootloader using the MemTool. What are the MemTool settings for using the ASC Bootlaoder instead of the JTAG link?

Best wishes

Helmut
0 Likes
10 Replies
ron
Employee
Employee
Hello Helmut,

Memtool uses the UART BSL in BootROM of the chip, in detail USIC0 channel0 on pin P1.4 and P1.5. What you need to do first is to bring the device into BSL mode. This is done with the DIP switch on the Hexagon Board (setting up TMS and TCK pins). Then you need a serial port connected to the pins P1.4 and P1.5. Select in Memtool the "Infineon XMC4500 StarterKit XMC4500 (BSL/ASC)" as the Target. With this setting Memtool will work.

Regards
0 Likes
User4287
Level 1
Level 1
Hello Ron,

At "Select Target Configuration" in MenTool I can browse only to "Infineon XMC4500 starterkit XMC4500 (DAS)" How can i get the .cfg file for (BSL/ASC)?

I am using MemTool Version 4.05.04

Best wishes

Helmut
0 Likes
User4287
Level 1
Level 1
Hello Ron,

I upgraded to MemTool Version 4.05.05, which includes "Infineon XMC4500 StarterKit XMC4500 (BSL/ASC)".

Best wishes

Helmut
0 Likes
User4287
Level 1
Level 1
Hello Ron,

I succeeded in a first contact with the XMC4500 ASC bootloader from the MemTool. But the communication broke after transmitting the length of the monitor image to the XMC4500. The SMC4500 replied with 0x81 instead of 0x01 and the MemTool terminated the communication.
60.attach
The red characters are sent from the MemTool and the blue characters are sent from the XMC4500.

Best wishes

Helmut
0 Likes
ron
Employee
Employee
Hello Helmut,

Can you check please what Step of the XMC4500 do you have. Please have a look to the device, is there a AA13 printed on? In case of that we need to exchange the device to AB step.
Just for your Info, in the actual Errata Sheet you find the STARTUP_CM.H001 issue.

Best Regards
0 Likes
User4287
Level 1
Level 1
Hello Ron,

on my device is printed "AA13 EES".
How can I get my device exchanged? It is part of the "CPU_45A-V2-" board contained in the Hexagon Application Kit.

Best wishes

Helmut
0 Likes
ron
Employee
Employee
Hello Helmut,

no it's the same Board. Are you able to resolder the device if we send you a sample?

Regards
0 Likes
User9260
Level 1
Level 1
Hello Ron,

maybe this old thread is not the best one for my question...

Can I use the current version of the Memtool (4-06.03) to program the Flash of an XMC4400? As our current hardware is currently in production, I do not know the full marking of the XMC yet, "XMC4400-F100F512 AB" is all I know by now.

The XMC4400 does not have the STARTUP_CM.H001 issue mentioned above. BTW: the Memtool allows to set the data rate according to the range specified in the errata sheet. So what is reason you proposed to change the chip?

Thanks, Rudi
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Rudi,

Yes, you should be able to program the XMC4400 with Memtool.
0 Likes
User9260
Level 1
Level 1
Fine: thank you, Jackson
0 Likes