Dave 4 compilation problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User7457
Level 2
Level 2
First like received
Hi
I have installed dave 4 into two different pc running windows 7. In one it works. Into the other the compilation process fail with the following error message:
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, echo., ...) failed.

It seems to me that the problem is in the command @echo. that is automatically inserted into the various makefile.
On dave 3 in the same makefiles was inserted @echo ' '

Why on one windows 7 pc it works and not in the other? which settings have I to check?
Is it possible to modify a template so that the automatically generated makefile includes @echo ' ' instead of @echo. ?

Thanks
Frank
0 Likes
6 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Frank,

Can you try to change the Current builder from "XMC Builder" to "GNU Make Builder" and see whether it helps?
(Go to: >Project>Active Project Properties>C/C++ Build> Tool Chain Editor --> Select "GNU Make Builder" for Current builder)

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
User7457
Level 2
Level 2
First like received
The problem is related to system path. In my case I have installed also the avr tool toolchain. The echo command that is under that environment is in the system path and that causes the error.
If I ran dave4 after removing the avr toolchain path from system path then everything compiles ok.

If I change to "GNU Make Builder" then another compilation error appears: even this one is related to system path infact something related to another compiler ( embarcadero ) is called and I get a lot of syntax errors.

The best workaround I have found for the moment is to run dave from a batch file like this:
set PATH=
DAVE-4.0.0.exe

And I use Project>Active Project Properties>C/C++ Build> Tool Chain Editor -->XMC Builder

With dave 3.1.10 I hadn't this problem because in the autogenerated files subdir.mk, there was a call to @echo ' ' at the end of a compilation command.
In dave 4, the subdir.mk files holds @echo. as last ending compilation command. That . is the problem( don't know why ). Why is generetion of subdir.mk files changed from dave3 to dave 4 ?

Thanks
Frank
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Frank,

In DAVE v3.1 @echo ' ' doesn't print a newline but ' ', so it has been changed to @echo.
Now in DAVE v4 it is used to show the start and the end of compilation during parallel build. But it will be removed in the next version of DAVE (eTicket 392707691).

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
The error ticket
#392707691 says the problem has been fixed in Dave 4 Release 4.1.14 but we are facing the same issue in Dave 4.3.2. It seems like the fix has been droppped somehow.
0 Likes
User15064
Level 1
Level 1
This is still happening in DAVE version 4.4.2

ugly hack of a workaround:
sudo cp /bin/echo /usr/local/bin/echo.

😛
0 Likes
gwang
Employee
Employee
Try with adding "SHELL=CMD" in makefile, which will fix the issue.
0 Likes