DAVE 3.1.4 Feedback

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I'd like to start this thread for DAVE 3.1.4 feedback
0 Likes
12 Replies
Not applicable
Manual Pin Assignment property sheet hangs up.

1. The Pin Assignment Property page now adds the a new pin for you, instead of manually having to click the + button. Problem is that it keeps adding pins regardless of how many "port pins desired" the part contains.

2. Crash: The Port-Pin/Pin Number combo box on the IO003 Manual Pin Assignment page gets confused and stops responding. After a few minutes it looks like it is ready to go again, but it gets stuck. Have to crash DAVE and restart.

3. Request: Please sort the items in the Port-Pin/Pin Number combo box in Port order, not alphanumeric.

Update: DAVE still crashes with fresh install in virgin Windows Virtual XP Machine. Hangs when you try to assign the last pin in an IO003 App on the Manual Pin Assignment window. Suspect msvcrt.dll.
0 Likes
Not applicable
4. Request: Hide, or mark as "used" in the Port-Pin/Pin Number combo box, pins which are unavailable because you have already assigned them to something else.
0 Likes
Not applicable
5. Poor view synchronization.

Synchronize what is being displayed in App Dependency TreeView and S/W App Connectivity View windows with the current active project.

If all projects are closed, nothing should be displayed in the App Dependency TreeView or the S/W App connectivity View windows.
If multiple projects are open, the App Dependency TreeView or the S/W App connectivity View should reflect whichever project is active

It's confusing when S/W App Connectivity being displayed is for a project other than the one you have open.
0 Likes
Not applicable
6. Request: Display the path and name of the present workspace
0 Likes
Not applicable
So... I'm not a windows programmer, but I'm guessing that maybe since I have MS Visual Studio 2010 installed (as well as MS VC++ Express) that there could be a version conflict between the .NET or graphics dll's on my system, and the ones that DAVE was designed to use. If that's the case, it would be great if the DAVE installer came packaged with the dll's it is meant to work with. I don't know, just guessing now.

Edit: I'm running Win7 64bit... going to install DAVE 3.1.4 inside Windows Virtual PC in XP mode and see how that goes.
0 Likes
Georg_Huba
Employee
Employee
Hi Murray,

Thanks for this comprehensive feedback.
Here our responses sorted by the different topics

1. DAVE crashes in a virtual machine.
We have retested the functionality in virtual machine for windows 7 and XP and didn’t find an issue. Do you mind to check whether you see the same problems when installing directly to windows, you may use the zipped file package then there is no registration or other interference with windows. To uninstall DAVE 3, just delete the files.

2. Issues in manual pin assignment view.
The new functionality automatically adds an empty line, because people complaint that they have to use the + button. The new line is always empty and should not do a pin assignment by its own.
This version of DAVE 3 includes the functionality that only viable pin selection options should be. This doesn’t seem to work when the IO003 App is selected. The root cause for this problem is being analyzed.

3. “Crashing” while doing manual pin assignment
We have received a similar feedback from somebody else (manual pin assignment is not responding or don’t provide selection options) we are working to reproduce this effect. Generally if this happens we recommend to cancel the operation and to restart DAVE 3

4. Poor Synchronization
We can confirm your observation: if the last project that will be closed is a DAVE CE project then the DAVE Apps are still visible in various views. This is not a nice solution; we will improve this in a future version.

6. Display path name of workspace.
The path information of the project is shown in project properties >Resource

7. Windows DLL.
DAVE 3 is based on the Eclipse CDT framework which is fully written in Java and runs on a JVM / JRE on the PC. Only the debugger and the solver require DLLs, theses DLLs are part of the installation, No standard Windows DLLs are required
0 Likes
Not applicable
When adding or deleting ADC channels from the ADC002 application ADC channel (ADCCH001 app) numbers are not reused.
What happens when you reach the limit for ADC channels because channels are not reused?
0 Likes
Not applicable
App Dependency Treeview window had button that reduced each app tree. This button is missing in the new version.
0 Likes
Georg_Huba
Employee
Employee
The App Dependency TreeView had a expand button to show all DAVE Apps in the graph view, as there are now two graph views (SW Connectivity plus HW connectivity) this button is now moved to both graph views.

The ADC002 question is not clear. Are you deleting ADCCH001 Apps or do you change the number of required channels in the configuration GUI of the ACD002 App? Pleas describe in more detail what you want to do and why.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Georg,

Thanks for your replies to my feedback.

1, I have tried installing DAVE 3.1.2 and 3.1.4 both exe, and zipped distributions on
a. Windows 8 running inside a VMWare Workstation virtual host.
b. Windows 7 64 bit after having uninstalled DAVE and the Java Runtime Engine and run CCleaner on the registry
c. Windows 7 64 bit after installing JavaRE 7 update 9
d. Windows 7 64 bit after installing JavaRE 7 update 10 beta
e. Windows 7 64 bit after installing JavaRE 8 preview
The presence or absence of installed Java does not seem to make a difference.
DAVE doesnt always crash, but it runs poorly in every instance when using the Manual Pin Assignment page, and especially during the IO003 app.
Symptoms are: Combo boxes take a long time to drop down (2-30 seconds,or longer) and pins which have already been assigned and solved for in other apps are not excluded from the combo list.

2. The new functionality in DAVE 3.1.4 is to automatically add an empty line.
Yes it is inconvenient to press the + for each pin, but in my opinion this fix is a sub-optimal solution.
When I open Manual Pin Assignment, I would like to see combo boxes for all the pins called for by the UIEditor already placed. This way you won't forget to assign all the pins.
Non-viable pins are also not excluded from IO004 apps, not just IO003.

3. Crashing while doing a manual pin assignment
It is not possible to cancel the operation and restart DAVE 3. WindowsOS is frozen and the only way to recover is to kill the DAVE process using Windows Task Manager.
Restarting DAVE 3 does not fix the issue.

6. Display path name of workspace
Yes the path information is shown in project>properties>Resource, but this is not handy.
Please display the presently selected workspace in File>Switch Workspace
Right now it only shows workspaces other than the one you have open, and it remembers workspaces which have been deleted.
0 Likes
Not applicable
8. The code generator SHOULD COMPLAIN if any files it is trying to write are not writable, such as files which are open in another editor.
Instead it completes without error, leaving a build whose modules are out of synchronization.

9. When removing an app, such as IO003, the cleanup is not handled correctly.
Remnants remain which no longer apply to the project.
Other IO003 apps still in the project are broken and no longer function. Pins initialize in the wrong mode. I don't have time to debug, so:
My workaround is to replace all IO003 apps with IO004 and then to create bytes out of individual bit accesses manually within my code. Not good enough!

May have to revisit #9... I may have other problems... will get back to this on Monday

10 Feature request: alias IO003 mapped pins with IO004
It would be nice to to access bits within an IO003 app by defining a IO004 app, without restrictions from the solver.
I have always done this with unions of bit fields within structs. I dont know the "DAVE" way of doing this but it would be nice to have.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I am changing the number of required channels in the configuration GUI of the ACD002 App.
There is no specific use case. In general when developing with DAVE the number of channels may change a few times. It is confusing that when reducing and then increasing the number of channels channel numbers are not reused.
Since there are a limited number of ADC channels in hardware is there an issue with not reusing channel numbers?
0 Likes