Dave4 PWM compile error

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
v_b
Employee
Employee
5 sign-ins 5 replies posted Welcome!
Hello

I did a quick test with Dave4. After a brief look I like the more user-friendly naming of the apps and various interface items, but I also hit the following problem.

I created a DaveCE project and added a PWM app, without any extra code, and this leads to a compilation error. The default make process is started with -j4 as argument and I would like to remove it, to simplify the debugging and pinpoint the compilation error. How could I do this, as I did not find a way to edit the arguments for make.
Thank you!
0 Likes
12 Replies
Not applicable
Hi,

Which PWM app are you using? Do you mean that you get compilation error using DAVE (default make process)?
FYI. I am able to compile, program & run a DAVE CE project with PWM [4.0.0] on XMC4500 AppKit.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
v_b
Employee
Employee
Hi

I am using the latest version of the app and indeed, the default make process. But the error also occurs for the Digital I/O app, so maybe it depends on the microcontroller type - I am trying to do this with the XMC1100.

What I found in the meanwhile is that in the Project properties window (at Project -> Active project properties), under C/C++ build, in the Builder settings tab, I can deselect "Use default build command" and change the make arguments.
However, the "-j4" is added to my arguments! For example, if I replace it with "-j1", Dave ends up using "-j1 -j4" as arguments and this can be seen be reopening the project properties window.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi ,

Sorry, I don't understand why you need Digital I/O app? You just need to assign the pin using "Manual Pin Allocator" in DAVE tool bar.
I have no problem to compile, program & run a DAVE CE project with PWM [4.0.0] on XMC1100 BootKit as well.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
v_b
Employee
Employee
Hi

Let me clarify some more. The idea was to test Dave4 and, as a simple project, to start by turning on some LEDs on the XMC1100 BootKit.
I started with the same flow that I used in Dave3, where I had an IO0004 app for one LED. Here I found the Digital_IO app, that seems to have the same functionality - is there another one that should be used?. In any case, the Manual Pin Allocator window is empty as long as there is no app in the project.
0 Likes
v_b
Employee
Employee
Hi, Sophia

Could you please also attach here your build log for the Dave CE project with the PWM app?
Thanks!
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Not applicable
Hi,

Yes, you are right. The Digital_IO app has the similar functionality to IO004 app but with different UIs & APIs. You should be able to assign the port pin using "Manual Pin Allocator".

Attached are the examples for your reference.

BTW, have you tried the GPIO example using GPIO LLD only? The main.c can be found in "XMC_Peripheral_Library_v1.0.0.zip" under path " ..\XMC_Peripheral_Library_v1.0.0\XMClib\examples\XMC1100_series\GPIO\GPIO_TOGGLE". In this case, you can just simply create a simple main project (>File>New>DAVE Project...>Select "Simple Main Project") and replace the main.c.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
v_b
Employee
Employee
Thank you for posting the examples!
I tried the digital_io one and the compilation still fails with the same error as I had before (some files are not found). This leads me to believe that this is actually an installation or configuration error, I'll try to look into it or maybe reinstall Dave.
0 Likes
v_b
Employee
Employee
Well, it works now, after reinstalling Dave4.
As far as I remember, the first I had also installed the Dave4 SDK and this also installed the app library. Now I only installed Dave, no SDK, and I had to download afterwards the app library.
Thanks again for the quick answers!
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

Installing DAVE4 SDK should not cause any problem. I've installed both of them together also.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
v_b
Employee
Employee
Hi

I think I actually got it. I enabled all the available update sources, which triggered some updates of the base Eclipse components, including the CDT, and this led again to the error I mentioned at the beginning.

EDIT: Sorry, I might have introduced some confusion, as the reasons I mentioned above for the compilation errors are not correct.
I believe now the problem is coming from the fact that I also have Cygwin installed, with gcc, make and the rest of the toolchain. As soon as I add the cygwin executables to my Path variable, the compilation fails (here I do not understand very well the Eclipse configuration, the project is configured with "external builder", but its path is prefixed with ARM_GCC_HOME)
The compilation works again after removing cygwin from the path AND restarting Dave.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

Could you provide the details on the updates of the base Eclipse components which result in error?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
v_b
Employee
Employee
Hi, I had edited my last post with some details - it's not actually the update, but having also Cygwin installed.
0 Likes