New DAVE version 4 available as Beta Release

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Georg_Huba
Employee
Employee
We are happy to announce the availability of the Beta release of a new DAVE versions:
DAVE version 4 and DAVE SDK v4

In DAVE v4 we have implement a lot of valuable improvements, in a nutshell these are:

• Faster and more robust design: In particular the time for code generation, responses on user interactions in the graphical user interfaces and build time could be improved significantly.
  • DAVE APPs are now based on low level peripheral drivers (XMC Lib) which makes generated code more efficient and more readable.
  • A DAVE SDK is provided as separate tool: Now everyone can develop own DAVE APPs or modify existing APPs, use cases are not restricted and DAVE SDK can be used to develop a configuration APPs for any library.
  • A set of low level peripheral drivers (XMC Lib) is now available and is used by DAVE APPs. The XMC Lib can also be used independent of DAVE or DAVE APPs with any other tool chain that supports XMC (Atollic, Altium, Keil, IAR, Rowley)
Interested in more? Then download the brief DAVE v4 description that describes in more details all major valuable improvements and new release artefacts.

Along with DAVE v4 we also provide 67 new DAVE APPs dedicated for DAVE v4, also as Beta release.
The full list of these DAVE APPs can be downloaded as APP excel sheet.
Please note that the DAVE Apps between DAVE v4 and DAVE v3 are not compatible.

As above mentioned DAVE includes now a full set of low level peripheral drivers (productive release, 3 drivers to be released later) included in the DAVE libraries, along with DAVE APPs, Device Descriptions and a device support package (CMSIS files). In addition they are also available as separate zip file to be used with any tool. Interested? Then download.

Further links:
Release Notes
DAVE v4 download

DAVE v4, DAVE SDK v4 and DAVE APPs v4 are released as Beta version because they are still under system test and code review. We recommend using them for evaluation and test purposes or adaption in development flow.

We hope you have a lot of fun with this new DAVE version 4 and we do appreciate any feedback on the DAVE Forum or by submitting a ticket in case of found issues or by sending an email to dave@infineon.com

All new 2015 DAVE™ Information Page

1307.attach
0 Likes
41 Replies
Not applicable
Hi,

How can I have a DAVE 4 and a DAVE 3 environment on the same machine. I am having some problems and would like to see if things get better on DAVE 4. I know I will need the rebuild the APP tree, configuration and connection, but it's worth a try.

thanks,
jerry
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi jerry,

Yes, of course. You can have both DAVE version 4 & DAVE version 3 on the same machine.
Thank you very much for the interest in using Beta version. Your feedbacks are welcome.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank DEAVE team for this release that is a big step forward. I have found that in DAVE the ETH driver is missing that is available in XMC Lib -- is this intentional? The question arises whether ETH driver in XMC lib is fully functional? My first impression with regard to the XMC lib is that it is a little bit to atomic. User has to understand well the content of the peripherals registers in order to make use of it. It is very close to what one have to know to proceed with peripherals without XMC library. My impression is mainly regarded to CCU4/8 API.

Best,
Mariusz
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Mariusz,

1) Yes, the ETH driver will be included in the XMC Lib. And it should be similar to what we have in DAVE version 3 at this point of time.
2) As for the XMC lib, some examples are available in XMC_Peripheral_Library_v1.0.0.zip. Also, there are a variety of DAVE APPs covering different use cases which can be referred to. Both can be downloaded from internet.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

Unfortunately the ETH_MAC and DSD drivers slip through accidentally into the zip file.
These drivers are not ready and should not be used.
We are working currently on these drivers and will be available soon in a upcoming new release.

Apologies for any inconvenience this might cause.
In the meantime the CMSIS ETH driver can be used instead.

Regards,
Jesus Ferreira
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jesus,

thank you for clarification.

> In the meantime the CMSIS ETH driver can be used instead.

Could you please point me the place where I can find such driver for XMC?

Regards,
Mariusz
0 Likes
Not applicable
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

Thank you for your help, when we can expect a new XMC lib release?

Regards,
Mariusz
0 Likes
User9154
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,
was App-family of BLDC-control for XMC1302 tested?
regards
zbyno
0 Likes
User9154
Level 4
Level 4
1218.attachHi,
I got this message after choice check Dave-Update (see Dave4-Installation page5-up
regards
zbyno
0 Likes
Not applicable
zbyno.brudny wrote:
Hi,
was App-family of BLDC-control for XMC1302 tested?
regards
zbyno

In "DAVE_APPs_Release_Notes_v4_0_0" section 1.2, it states "DAVE APPs for the XMC1300 series are verified on all supported derivatives, fully functional test is applied with XMC1302-T038F0200".

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
zbyno.brudny wrote:
1218.attachHi,
I got this message after choice check Dave-Update (see Dave4-Installation page5-up
regards
zbyno

Hi zbyno,

Thank you very much for the feedback. This has been forwarded further, will update you once get reply.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
User7282
Level 4
Level 4
Does this version of DAVE include xSPY?
0 Likes
User9154
Level 4
Level 4
Thank you Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
zbyno.brudny wrote:
1218.attachHi,
regards
zbyno

Hi zbyno,

The above issue has been fixed already.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
User9154
Level 4
Level 4
Beginner Beginner

Thank you Sophia
0 Likes
User9154
Level 4
Level 4
Hi Sophia,
After starting of DaveSDK I got this message after choice check Dave-Update
1239.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
jferreira wrote:
Hi,

Unfortunately the ETH_MAC and DSD drivers slip through accidentally into the zip file.
These drivers are not ready and should not be used.
We are working currently on these drivers and will be available soon in a upcoming new release.

Apologies for any inconvenience this might cause.
In the meantime the CMSIS ETH driver can be used instead.

Regards,
Jesus Ferreira

Hi Jesus

what are the plans for releasing the updated XMC lib that will include eth driver? If it took individual days or weeks I can wait, but if it will dragging to a month I will go forward with CMSIS. This information is crucial for me to proceed further.

Thank you in advance,
Mariusz
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I use DAVE3 on a daily basis and I was realy excited when I discovered DAVE4 on the Embedded World in Nuremberg two weeks ago. So today I started to test DAVE4 on my own computer. But everytime I try to build my project I get multiple error messages of this type:

process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, echo., ...) failed.
make (e=2): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

I found out, that every rule in the generated makefile looks like this:

Test.siz: Test.elf
@echo 'Invoking: ARM-GCC Print Size'
"C:\DAVEv4\DAVE-4.0.0\eclipse\ARM-GCC-49/bin/arm-none-eabi-size" --format=berkeley "Test.elf"
@echo 'Finished building: $@'
@echo.

If you have a closer look at the last line, the error is obvious. Compared to the makefiles DAVE3 generated, those lines should be more like this:

@echo ' '

Unfortunately it is useless to correct this error direcly in the makefile, since it is automatically generated everytime you build the project. Are there any suggestions for a workaround? Or maybe somebody even knows what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers, Felix
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Felix,

Is your project newly built in DAVE4? Do you have problem with the XMClib examples?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
I started a completely new DAVE4 project to test all the new features. By the way, all of these improvements are really great! 🙂

I tried to compile a second project (blank new DAVE4 project, without any apps or code changes) and run into the same error. Solver and code generation works without any problem.

Cheers, Felix
0 Likes
Not applicable
I just recognized, that you asked for the XMClib examples. Where can I find them?

Cheers, Felix
0 Likes
Not applicable
I tested the same approach on another computer - everything works fine there.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Felix wrote:
I started a completely new DAVE4 project to test all the new features. By the way, all of these improvements are really great! 🙂

I tried to compile a second project (blank new DAVE4 project, without any apps or code changes) and run into the same error. Solver and code generation works without any problem.

Cheers, Felix

Hi Felix,

Thank you very much for the appreciation. It really inspirits us…

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Felix wrote:
I just recognized, that you asked for the XMClib examples. Where can I find them?

Cheers, Felix

Hi Felix,

The XMClib examples can be found in "XMC_Peripheral_Library_v1.0.0.zip" under path " ..\XMC_Peripheral_Library_v1.0.0\XMClib\examples"

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Felix wrote:
I tested the same approach on another computer - everything works fine there.

Hi Felix,

Good to know that "everything works fine on another computer". There is another user faced compilation problem but got different error message (refer to Forum thread "Dave4 PWM compile error").

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Sophia,

thank you for your quick response. But I can't see any correlation between the compilation problem you mentioned and the one I posted. In my case DAVE definitely generates a faulty makefile regardless of what I actually do in the project. Since it works on other machines without any problem it looks like a bug in the makefile generator which is somehow depending on my concrete DAVE installation.

Cheers, Felix
0 Likes
Not applicable
sophia wrote:
The XMClib examples can be found in "XMC_Peripheral_Library_v1.0.0.zip" under path " ..\XMC_Peripheral_Library_v1.0.0\XMClib\examples"

And where do I find this zip file?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Felix,

Here is the link to XMC Lib.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thank you for posting the link. But there are no DAVE projects in there. Sure, one could create a new DAVE4 project and put in the code of this examples. But I can't see how this should solve my issue. By the way, a co-worker just reported to me, that he has exactly the same problem with DAVE4.

Cheers, Felix
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Felix,

1) Have you tried to compare the setup between the working and non-working machines eg. OS, software installed etc?
2) Have you tried to compare the two makefiles generated on both machines?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
User7878
Level 1
Level 1
Hi there,
In Version 4 some lib are missing for example the RTOS lib. It´s possible to import that lib from an older one?
How can i install the missing libs and App in this new version?

Best regards
Luis Silva
0 Likes
Not applicable
I see that not all the dave4 APP are included in the beta release. When will they be included? Thanks in advice.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

Since the third of our colleagues was confronted with the problem of faulty genereted makefiles, we did some further investigations. We found out, that everything works fine if we use the "GNU Make Builder" instead of the "XMC Builder". One can switch this setting in the project properties under C/C++ Build - Tool Chain Settings - Current builder. This is a good workaround for us.

My guess is, that in some Dave4 installations the "XMC Builder" is somehow broken.

Cheers, Felix
0 Likes
User7795
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,

my first impressions of Dave4 build 2015-02-21:

The team did a good job!

Until now I found only 3 issues:

1) Manual Pin Allocator, after 'Solve and Save' two progress windows appear

2) C++ Projects: At Project / Properties / C/C++-Build / Settings / Tool Settings / ARM-GCC C++ Compiler / Directories there is an old include path to c++ 4.8.4 instead of 4.9.3

3) APP Help window should always use position and size of last help window (I suppose most users prefer same size and position for all app help windows)

Possible Improvements:

1) Infineon changed the syntax of the app methods. A fast access to the syntax would be a big advantage.
First idea: via App Dependency window, mouse on app and control key pressed shows a window with all methods.
Second idea with more 'CE', example app DIGITAL_IO: like before set mouse on app at App Dependency window and press ctrl key, then in sourcecode window at cursor position new code 'DIGITAL_IO' appears and a selection window showing all methods of app DIGITAL_IO, like class method selector at c++ editors (or at Delphi). A click on the desired method and the method code is added, the name of the app instance mouse was on already set at the correct argument position (&...).

2) Full integration of Mylyn. Mylyn offers the possibility to restore the last session at start of Dave (open editors, cursor positions) and to switch with 1 click between different projects. I use it at Dave3 with success, the only problem is there, that Mylyn doesn't activate a project. As far as I see there is a 'connector' needed to Dave.

3) Debugger: is it possible to make long values (espec. binary values) more readable like in c++14: 0010'1010'0111'0110

4) Many users are interested to migrate their projects from Dave3 to Dave4. Any chance of a 1 click solution? Perhaps with some additional manual work after.

And finally a question: Debugging using miniWiggler not yet possible? I didn't find any setup possibility.

Best regards,
Wolfgang
0 Likes
User7795
Level 4
Level 4
Hi,

file rename via context menue at project window results in an error message. But nevertheless rename is done.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Ing99 wrote:
Hi,

my first impressions of Dave4 build 2015-02-21:

The team did a good job!

Until now I found only 3 issues:

1) Manual Pin Allocator, after 'Solve and Save' two progress windows appear

2) C++ Projects: At Project / Properties / C/C++-Build / Settings / Tool Settings / ARM-GCC C++ Compiler / Directories there is an old include path to c++ 4.8.4 instead of 4.9.3

3) APP Help window should always use position and size of last help window (I suppose most users prefer same size and position for all app help windows)

Possible Improvements:

1) Infineon changed the syntax of the app methods. A fast access to the syntax would be a big advantage.
First idea: via App Dependency window, mouse on app and control key pressed shows a window with all methods.
Second idea with more 'CE', example app DIGITAL_IO: like before set mouse on app at App Dependency window and press ctrl key, then in sourcecode window at cursor position new code 'DIGITAL_IO' appears and a selection window showing all methods of app DIGITAL_IO, like class method selector at c++ editors (or at Delphi). A click on the desired method and the method code is added, the name of the app instance mouse was on already set at the correct argument position (&...).

2) Full integration of Mylyn. Mylyn offers the possibility to restore the last session at start of Dave (open editors, cursor positions) and to switch with 1 click between different projects. I use it at Dave3 with success, the only problem is there, that Mylyn doesn't activate a project. As far as I see there is a 'connector' needed to Dave.

3) Debugger: is it possible to make long values (espec. binary values) more readable like in c++14: 0010'1010'0111'0110

4) Many users are interested to migrate their projects from Dave3 to Dave4. Any chance of a 1 click solution? Perhaps with some additional manual work after.

And finally a question: Debugging using miniWiggler not yet possible? I didn't find any setup possibility.

Best regards,
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for the recognition of our development team's hard work.

As for the issues you reported:
1) Pls follow up with eTicket 412715081;
2) Pls follow up with eTicket 822722878;
3) Would you pls elaborate more on the expects, or give an example?

In DAVE v4, the APP help doc can be accessed in many ways.

To view the documentation for a selected App:
- In "Add New APP" window, select an App, click on APP Info button
- When APP UI Editor is opened, click on Help icon "?" at the bottom right-corner of the UI Editor window.

To view the full listing of DAVE Apps and App documentation:
- From Help menu, click on Help > Help Contents > DAVE Apps

Meanwhile, thank you once again for the ideas of possible improvements, i will help to forward further.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
User7795
Level 4
Level 4
Hi Sophia,

some more details:

1) Method window

A look on the Dave editor using a c++ object:

1325.attach

When using an object I only have to enter the name of the object (in this example 't1', line 26) and the selector operator (.) after, then a window opens and offers all public methods (member functions) of the object. I don't have to look into the documentation of the class of the object to get exact name and syntax. I select the desired function by double click and the editor adds the source code to the line. The Dave editor already contains this functionality.

Why not extend this time-saving mechanism to the App methods? The look into the help again and again to get the correct method names and syntax would be saved. At Dave4, the 'objects' are the instances at App Dependency Window. A comparable workflow demonstrated at an example screenshot:

1326.attach

At cursorposition line 23 I want to add an uart receive method of UART instance AscBsl, but how is the correct syntax? Instead of looking into the help I set the mouse arrow on the instance AscBsl at App Dependency Window, press ctrl key and left click, a window opens in source code window at cursorposition (like before at the c++ object) and offers all existing methods of the selected app:

UART_STATUS_t UART_Receive (const UART_t *const handle, uint8_t *dataPtr, uint32_t count)
UART_STATUS_t UART_Transmit (const UART_t *const handle, uint8_t *dataPtr, uint32_t count)
void UART_Abort_Transmit (const UART_t *const handle)
.. etc.

A double mouse click on the desired method and Dave adds this method at cursorposition to the source code. Dave even would be able to set the handle in the source code added, because at click the mouse was on the instance of.

It's a hard work to add this functionality to Dave, but it would be a big advantage.

2) Mylyn

I have installed Mylyn at Dave3, but it needs some additional work to get full comfort. At the moment Mylyn doesn't manage the project activation, which has to be done by hand. Because the activation of a project closes all editors, the activation has to be done only when a dummy project is selected. Thus a switch from project1 to project2 first needs Mylyn to switch to a dummy project, then activation of project2 via context menue, and then switch to project2 via Mylyn. Before closing of Dave also the dummy project has to be selected. Then after restart of Dave only 1 mouseclick is needed on the grey dot at the name of the activated project (Mylyn added the tab 'Task List') and all editor settings are restored:

1327.attach

3) Another new idea concerning c++ only:

At the moment all Dave Apps are located in the global namespace. To avoid name conflicts I would prefer to put the Dave code now completely in an own namespace (namespace dave{...}). One day it will be mandatory.

Best regards,
Wolfgang
0 Likes
Not applicable
mjaniak wrote:
Hi Jesus

what are the plans for releasing the updated XMC lib that will include eth driver? If it took individual days or weeks I can wait, but if it will dragging to a month I will go forward with CMSIS. This information is crucial for me to proceed further.

Thank you in advance,
Mariusz

Hi,

The ETH driver is right now in development. It will be not ready for sharing before May, and the official release will be in July.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes