"ERROR: Exception occurred during launch" when trying to program, debug or talk

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I am using DAVE 3.1.10 and when I try and load ANY sample project onto the XMC4500 Relax/Relax Lite Kit-V1 or the XMC 2Go micro, it compiles fine, but when it tries to load anything to either micro, I get the error:

"Error Creating Session:
The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
The GDI debug instrument provided the following error message.
An error occurred while connecting to the target. The exact cause is unknown, but possibly, the J-Link is not connected to the target properly."

or sometimes, I get the error:

"Error: exception occurred during launch.
Reason:
Error Creating Session.
The debug instrument could not be initialized. Please consult the below error message.
The shared library mcdxdas.dll cannot be found or is inaccessible."

I had someone else try the 2 micro's on their PC and he got the exact same errors. I might believe one micro was bad, but both being bad, seems highly unlikely. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Segger J-Link ARM v4.84f, but it made no difference other then now I get both errors, where before I usually just had the first error.
0 Likes
12 Replies
Not applicable
Hi,

Can you try to open J-Link commander after you connect the target board to your PC.
The J-link commander will indicate whether any device is detected.
This is the example when I connect with my XMC4500 Relax Kit.
1154.attach

Perhaps you can also try to install the latest Segger J-Link driver.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Q1: I can't find a J-Link commander executable file under the "~myLocation/SEGGER/JLinkARM_V484f/" location anywhere. There are about 20 executables under the SEGGER/J-Link location. I tried every one and none gave me results like in the picture you posted.

Q2: I looked on the Segger website, www.segger.com under 'downloads' and I couldn't find a "J-Link ARM" option to download a newer driver. The closest I could find was "J-Link ARM LITE" and I wasn't sure if this was the same thing.
0 Likes
Not applicable
I found the J-Link Commander and ran it and it says that I'm connected and everything is almost identical to your post. [Something is wrong with the image uploader, it wouldn't let me post the pic of the results from the J-Link Commander.] Every line is almost identical to your results (obviously we have different S/N) until where yours says "Found 1 JTAG device". Mine says

Found 2 JTAG devices, Total IRLen = 12:
#0 Id: 0x4BA00477, IRLen: 04 IRPrint: 0x1, CoreSight JTAG-DP (ARM)
#1 Id: 0x101DB083, IRLen: 08, Unknown device

Then everything is the same as yours again. [I tried posting the image on FireFox instead of Internet Exploder, so maybe it'll work]

1156.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Geno,

Something is very wrong here..
1) It detects 2 devices but there is only 1 device on the target board, so it shouldn't detect 2 devices.
2) The devices detected are connect with JTAG-DP instead of SWD-DP. All devices from Relax Kit had been set to SWD debug mode.
3) The JTAG ID is not the same as mine (all XMC4000 product family had the same JTAG ID).

May I know where did you get the Relax Kit?
Had you replaced the device on the board before?
Can you tell me the device marking on the device?

By the way, SEGGER J-Link can be downloaded at https://www.segger.com/jlink-software.html
Download the "Software and documentation pack for Windows".
0 Likes
Not applicable
Answers for Jackson's Questions:

A1) I got the Relax Kit along with the Hexagon Application Kit and the XMC 2Go kit from Infineon directly as 3 demo boards last Wednesday, 1/28/15. The XMC4500 Hexagon Application Kit worked fine. I had no problem communicating and debugging with it. [Before you ask me to run that chip, the other firmware guy took it to England and I'm in Wisconsin.]

A2) What "device on the board" are you referring to replacing? I just have a USB cable from the Relax Kit to my PC and I'm running Infineon's DAVE3 software and the J-Link v4.84f software. I have not replaced anything on the Relax board.

A3) The Relax kit has the following model number: "XMC4500 Relax/Relax Lite Kit-V1". The box calls it a "XMC 4500 Relax Kit" and the back order number is "KIT_XMC45_RELAX_V1". I'll attach a few photos, but my phone is from like 1900 and is a blackberry.

1163.attach1164.attach1165.attach1166.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Geno,

Do you mean that you faced the same problem for XMC2Go kit?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Sophia & Jackson: Yes, I did have the exact same issue with the XMC2Go Kit, it was detecting 2 devices. But I've got the XMC2Go working. After upgrading J-Link from 4.84F to 4.96G and using the external J-Link tools to update the firmware, I'm programming on the XMC2Go.

But the XMC4500 Relax Kit is another story. It still doesn't work even after updating the firmware on kit. But the fact that I could do that, makes me think that the chip isn't fried, it must be some sort of setup configuration or something. Everything goes fine in DAVE3: creating a project, selecting the micro, loading code, compiling. The boards light up when the USB is plugged in. But when I get to DEBUG config, after I set it up and click DEBUG it hangs with the message "Launching Delegate". When I finally stop it, I get the error message: "Error Creating Session" and under that in the Details box it says "An unknown problem occurred". Also a text box appears in the background, outside of the DAVE3 program saying "Terminating the debugger, failed for unknown reasons". Here is the J-Link Commander output info messages showing that it finds 2 JTAG devices for both the Relax Kit.

1180.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Geno,

I believe you have done a correct debug configuration as well as the HW setup since both XMC4500 Application Kit and XMC2Go Kit are working.
1) Select "J-Link over USB(SWD)" for connection setting

1181.attach

2) Use X100 Micro USB connector for debugger

1183.attach

Would you pls provide the device marking on your Relax Kit so that i can check further?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
I selected "Infineon XMC4500 Reflex Kit" and "J-Link over USB (SWD)" and I used the "DEBUG" USB Port. I've always used those settings and it still hangs when I hit DEBUG at about 60% when it says "Launching Delegate". The chip says:

Infineon
XMC 4500
F100K1024
AA13 EES
ZA218017E02
GE228 E2K
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Geno,

Could you pls check the level of P0.8? It should be low for SWD connection.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks Sophia!

I checked P0.8 according to the text on the back of the board and got 0.0 volts when the board was just powered. And when it hung trying to debug, it was 0.0 volts also. So P0.8 was low just like it was suppose to be. I checked VDD3.3 and VDD5 and got 3.25v and 4.33v respectively. I thought that VDD5 seemed a little low in my experience.

- Geno
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Geno,

Could you try to change the DAVE debugger connection setting to "J-Link over USB (JTAG)" and see whether is able to connect? If not, pull-up P0.8 (keep JTAG connection setting) and try, see what you can get?

In addition, just want to clarify the followings:
1) What did you observe when use X3 Micro USB connector to supply the power?
Because the device on the Relax Kit is pre-programmed, you should observe the followings:
On the Relax Kit one LED2 should continuously blink after power up. Blinking can be switched on and off with BOTTON2. BUTTON1 will switch LED1 on and off.

2) Did you try to create a new workspace with a new DAVE CE project, compile and download via Debug USB port (X100 Micro USB connector)?

3) Did you try to install DAVE 3.1.10 and Segger J-Link debugger in other PC and do Step 2?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes