How to use the DAP miniwiggler?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
Hello,

I just received the DAP miniwiggler and am extremely disappointed with this tool and its support.

Firstly, I expected more than a USB dongle in a package for that price. It uses a fine pitch connector without even providing an adaptor to 0.1". It also is missing the 20 pin JTAG cable.

Secondly, the documentation for using it is fragmented and incomplete. Nowhere could I find documentation about:
- what the LEDs on the device mean - one of three went green when I plugged into my chip. What does it mean? Where is this documented? If you do a web search, nothing shows up and there is nothing on the product page
- how to connect to it from DAVE other than selecting the UDAS server? Unfortunately, whether the miniwiggler is connected or not or the DAS server is running or not, I get the same useless error message. The person who approved these errors message seriously underperformed their duties. There is no ability to diagnose what is happening with this poor quality error reporting.

"The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
The GDI debug instrument provided the following error message.
Could not open Access HW"

- how to program the BMI using memtool given that it only offers the option of using JTAG and the miniwiggler does not come with the 20 pin JTAG cable? Is a person supposed use the 10 pin cable and if so, how should it be aligned?
- where to see that the miniwiggler is connected to DAVE in the same manner as the COM ports are shown?
- which header the cable should be plugged into for debugging in DAVE?

Please let me know how to get this tool working by answering the questions given the serious failings of tool documentation and software. Then please save someone else the pain by writing some documentation on how to setup and use the tool.

As a side note, there should be a BMI option that allows debugging and the ability to connect via the virtual com port for the first 5 seconds. There is no need to lock the chip into using a debugger for programming simply because a person wants to use the debugger for some period of time.

Also, please increase the timeout on the forums to an hour. I repeatedly get cut off when trying to articulate problems and the forums software just loses my changes.

Lastly, I would suggest a modified version of the XMC2Go that allows connection to chips in circuit. It would be far more straightforward than the miniwiggler.
0 Likes
11 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

You should connect the miniWiggler with XMC device with the 10-pin connector.
I believe you have downloaded DAS server, if haven't, please download and install it.
After you connect, open DAS device scanner and start the DAS server.
Then click installed server and choose UDAS.
Now the UDAS will be running and you should see the device connected on the DAS device scanner window.
After you see the device is connected (show on DAS device scanner window) , you just select UDAS from DAVE debug configuration and it should be able to debug via miniWiggler.
0 Likes
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
Jackson,

I need more information. It would help if you answered my original questions as most of the information I have seen in the forums is incomplete like this, assuming familiarity with the toolset when no documentation is present.
Which header on the miniwiggler should the cable be connected to? JTAG or DAP
DAVE comes with DAS. Is that sufficient or do I need another package for this? When I select UDAS in DAVE, it is launched automatically.
What am I looking for in terms of the device in the DAS device scanner window? The application has no information about devices that I can see, just the server itself.

DAVE gives the same error mentioned above all the time when attempting to debug regardless of whether UDAS is running or not.

1145.attach

Is this all that should be configured to connect to the miniwiggler with DAVE and DAS?

1198.attach

The answers to these questions should also be documented:
What is the name of the DAS device scanner executable? Does this come with DAVE too? This should be mentioned directly instead of being referred to by a general name.

Is there no documentation on the miniwiggler tool? That is what is missing.

Jason
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

Yes, unfortunately there is not documentation on the miniWiggler.

The cable should go to the 10-pin header (a.k.a. DAP header). This header is the same as 10-pin ARM Cortex Debug Connector.
If the hardware connection is correct, once you installed the UDAS server and connect your target board, the target device will be shown (device in SWD mode).
1147.attach

In order to use any software with the miniWiggler, the target device must first get connected with DAS server.
Without connected to DAS server, any software using DAS would not be working.
Basically all the software only communicated with DAS server. If DAS server did not detect/recognize any device is connected, all the software would not work.

As how to change BMI with miniWiggler, you have to change it via Memtool
Of course, you have to make sure the device is connected with DAS server first then you can connect with Memtool.

If your device is in ASC BSL, the device will not be detected by DAS directly.
You have to setup the Memtool to connect the device with UART-over-SPD via UDAS.
Then the device will get connected with Memtool and you can change the BMI.
1149.attach
0 Likes
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
Hi Jackson,

Thanks for the details so far.

I understand the need to have UDAS running, but what I don't understand is the meaning of the LEDs on the miniwiggler. I think I need to know this to know whether my device is connected. When I attach to my target board, one of the LEDs turns on solid. When I launch UDAS, another LED on the miniwiggler starts flashing, but I cannot connect to the board and unfortunately, the error message in DAVE just tells me the same error that my device is not connected or does not have power even though the solid LED would tend to indicate there is some sot of connection. The third LED does not light up.

Any information on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jason
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

The miniWiggler is a very robust and proven tool, which detects a device automatically when it is properly connected.
Looks like your issue could be due to the board problem.
You should ensure a proper SWD pin connection with your target board/device.
There are documentation you can find at DAP miniWiggler webpage.
The Application note AP5600410 describe the miniWiggler connectors and AP2400314 describes the DAP/SWD connector.
1150.attach

As for the LEDs, the blinking of the LED refers UDAS is trying to connect to the target device.
If UDAS is connected to the device, both LEDs will be lighted up.
The 3rd LED (which doesn't light up) will only light up when debug is in progress.
0 Likes
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
Jackson,

So the one LED that lights up does not indicate a connection? Is it simply detecting voltage? I noticed that if the debug lines were backwards it was off. I think that my chip must be dead or have a poor solder connection because when I put probes on the pins, I see a quick data round trip exchange before the miniwiggler stops sending. I will investigate further.

Thanks,

Jason
0 Likes
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
My poor first impressions of the DAP miniwiggler and DAS are only being further confirmed the more I use them. They are so flaky on Windows 8.1 and are seriously wasting my time.

Numerous times, UDAS locks to the point that I cannot even kill it with the task manager. Other times, it is simply non responsive to the DAS Device Scanner which wrongly indicates that "Quit" is not a supported command for the server or no device is connected even though a connection has already been made to the device previously.

Sometimes, the connecting LED on the miniwiggler will be on but when I attempt to debug, I get this completely useless error in DAVE:

Error creating session
The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
The GDI debug instrument provided the following error message.
General error

I need something better than than a "General error" if I am to try getting things going.

Then, if I unplug the miniwiggler and add it again, Windows does not install it with the FTDI drivers, so I have to reboot after the driver update. This is extremely time consuming.

Then even when I can stop UDAS, the connecting light stays on. This remains on even if I disconnect the cable from the target board.

Is it possible for somebody to provide a debug version of some of this software so I can capture the output and more importantly, your software teams can take this information to fix all the bugs in these tools?

I attempted to raise bugs for these issues, but someone on the support team indicated that hitex should be contacted even though infineon is the name on the miniwiggler and hitex has no concept of support services on its webpages.

This is completely ridiculous...
0 Likes
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
In this situation, the miniwiggler connection light is flashing but DAS refuses to close the connection. The error message is completely wrong from any perspective.

1185.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

The UDAS cannot be close as your miniWiggler is still connected to it.
Basically UDAS is activated in order to detect miniWiggler.
And if the miniWiggler is correctly interface with the target device, UDAS can connect to the target device via miniWiggler.

As for the error with DAVE, as long as DAS is not connected/detected with your target device, DAVE would not be able to proceed with the Debug.
You need to see your target device is connected at the DAS Device Scanner before you can start your DAVE debug.
You need to understand that the DAVE only communicate with DAS, and then DAS send command to miniWiggler to the target device.
So, if device is not detected by DAS, when DAVE try to debug via DAS, DAS will reply that no device is connected.
Hence, DAVE will give you the error.

So all you need to do now is to get DAS to connect with your device via miniWiggler.
Perhaps you can refer to our XMC4000 application kit schematic for the miniWiggler connection to ensure you have the correct setup.
0 Likes
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
Hi Jackson,

Some of what you are telling me does not match what I am observing. It is sometimes possible to quit UDAS from the Device Scanner and sometimes it is not, regardless of whether a target device is connected or not. The problem is the inconsistency of operation because I have been able to communicate with the device at times, but other times I cannot communicate and the error reporting does not help to diagnose what is wrong.

As for the DAVE error, the first issue is that it needs to be specific to the problem that is occurring. The connecting LED can be on solid and yet I still get this "General error" so either the LED is falsely indicating an established connection or its meaning needs to be better clarified. I am fully aware that DAVE and the memtool communicate via DAS. That is not in question. The problem is the poor error reporting when something in the chain is not working.

Also, please indicate what exact screen in the Device Scanner I should be looking at to determine whether the device is connected. The only information I have seen is the information about the server and a number of possible errors can occur with me still seeing the UDAS port as the only indicator.

Again, I ask for some debug version of these applications to capture the errors I am seeing so that the software can better report error scenarios. As it is, a number of different scenarios will give the same useless errors.

Thanks,

Jason
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

When your target device is detected or connected with DAS, the Device Scanner will show the device family.
For example, if I'm connecting XMC1300 device via miniWiggler, DAS Device Scanner will show XMC1000-Family.
1147.attach
0 Likes