XMC1302 UART problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm using a XMC1302 (TSSOP16 package) in a custom circuit. I use P0.14 for programming and would like to use it for transmitting UART data as well. But this does not work. I receive no data with H-term. When I try the same code with the 1302 boot kit, the transmission works fine with other pins but not with P0.14 as well. So the code seems to be okay.

Is there a way how to use P0.14 for both, programming/debugging and UART transmission?

Best regards,
Michael
0 Likes
4 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Michael,

It is not possible to have the debug pin and UART pin together.
Once you set the pin as Debug pin, the hardware will disabled all other function on that pin.
This is because it is not possible to do debug and UART on the same pin.
Think of the situation like this, if you are debugging and UART is sending data at the same time, how the debugger knows whether this data is from UART or for debug.
Therefore, no other function is allow when the pin is used for debug purpose.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jackson,

thank you, that makes sense 😉
I use P0.15 for Uart transmission now and only 0.14 for debugging.
Would Uart work with P0.14 if I don't need to debug anymore and I would set BMI to Productive mode before downloading the code?

Michael
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Michael,

Yes, you can use P0.14 for UART if you don't need to debug anymore.
I believe you are aware that no debugging is possible if the BMI is set to User Productive Mode.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Sophia,

yes I'm aware of that, thank you.

Best regards,
Michael
0 Likes