Firmware Update over External Memory

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm planning to implement a Firmware over the air updating mechanism on an XMC device.
The file shall be downloaded via cell network and stored in an external flash memory.
After that, a bootloader shall replace the previous application.
So I have the following questions:
* How should internal flash be segmented, so that the bootloader resides in a protected area?
* Location of ISR addresses?
* What kind of file type should the compiler generate, so that it can be transfered in internal code flash?
* Any app notes/code examples describing a similiar situation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

George
0 Likes
4 Replies
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
This is very challenging. You might want to search the forum for those who had done Alternate Boot Mode (ABM)

* How should internal flash be segmented, so that the bootloader resides in a protected area?
The XMC has got a factory programmed startup software within it's flash to support ASC flash programming. During flash programming the bootloader is copied into the RAM to execute the flash command for flash programming. Therefore it is not advisable to have your bootloader to reside in the flash area.

* Location of ISR addresses?
Please check reference manual.

* What kind of file type should the compiler generate, so that it can be transfered in internal code flash?
You can temporary create the bootloader in the flash during the development stage. However these bootloadercodes need to be mapped to the external flash using linker script.

* Any app notes/code examples describing a similiar situation?
Nope.. So sorry. But some guys over here are doing it.

Good luck
Travis
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hello Travis,

Thank you for the tips, I will do my research and update if I have something new.

Best regards,
George
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Travis,

I am new to this forum.Currently i am working on Field firmware Update project and Boot loader plays the Key role in it. I am trying to Update the firmware through external SPI based SD card interface.

So i have to implement the SPI based boot loader for XMC1400.I am working on XMC1400 Dev. Kit. What steps i need to follow for this implementation?.Please help in this prospective.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

Anyone please help me in above implementation.

Thanks & Regards,

M. Ramarao.
0 Likes