XMC1000 TIP of the day: Connect via UART bootstrap loader

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
When XMC1000 device is fresh from production (virgin device), the only way to access the device is via UART bootstrap loader (UART BSL).
The device can be access via pin P0.14 and P0.15 or P1.3 and P1.2 where P0.14 and P1.3 being the receive pin and P0.15 and P1.2 being the transmit pin.
User could test whether their device is working in ASC BSL mode by sending 2 bytes data, 0x00 and 0x6C to the mentioned pins.
As the bootloader provide auto baud rate detection, there is no fixed baud rate required.
However, the device could only support 1.2kHz to 28.8kHz when the MCLK in 8MHz.
If the device is in ASC BSL mode, it will detect the host baud rate and reply with 0x5D as an acknowledgement.
The device also support in half duplex mode. For more information, please refers to Reference Manual, ASC (UART) Bootstrap Loader chapter.

To program the device via UART BSL, tools like Memtool can be used.
To change the device BMI for other boot mode, Memtool or the 'GetBMI' utility in DAVE IDE can be used.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Not applicable
Hi I am getting the 0x5d back and it all seems to be working BUT memtool refuses to see the device -- i have spent many hours fighting with this and had logic analyzers and oscilloscopes on the pins and it seems to reply with your acknowledgement and if i run a terminal program i can see the 0x5d coming back...

Is there a document that describes the interface so i can write my own code for this? if would have to be easier...
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

May I know what device are you using? which package type?
How is your hardware setup to connect Memtool with your target board? Can you give the details?
And also can you describe the configuration you have made in Memtool?

We do have documentation on the ASC BSL.
Please look for Tooling Guide - XMC1000 - Boot Modes in our documentation section.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jackson

I am using a XMC1100-T016. I have a couple of FTDI USB <=> TTL serial ports that i tried. I tried at 9600 & 4800, you could see that the processor was able to decode the 0x00/0x6c and reply with the 0x5d at the same baud rate. MemTool was the latest and it was never happy with any reply...

I gave up on that and tried Dave and using a standard JLink with the BMI tool -- again no success...

I then got an XMC 2Go board and removed the main processor with a hot air tool and made a cable to the two small resistors R105/R106 and... SUCCESS!!!

I suspect that Dave won't work with a standard JLink -- maybe it needs to be an exact version of the firmware and not the latest?

Hope this may save somebody some time...
0 Likes
User12775
Level 5
Level 5
First solution authored First like received
DAVE BMI tool will only work with XMC1 Boot kit board and XMC 2Go oboards.
0 Likes
User15015
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First reply posted
I have the same problem.
The default value of BMI (0x10000e00) is 0xffc0 and so ASC_BSL ist activ.

All XMC's an Boot Kits an Infineon EVA Bords are programmed with oter values.

Have enyone solved this problem.
0 Likes