help connecting the xmc4500 and micromagic pBrain

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi...this is actually a repost i think..i forgot my other post, so i'll just start over with this one thou..hahaha

right now i was planning to build a hexapod robot,
and i'm trying to use the XMC4500 Relax Lite Kit as the main processor, old days I've always use the avr
So...I got other controller here which is p.Brain-u24 Hex Engine as the servo controller for the mechanism of the 6 legs,

and I cant connect the main processor and the servo controller,
i'm sorry but i really got no idea how to connect it....I2C? SPI? CAN? (usually I been using DAVE for programming tools)
could anybody help me bout this issue 🙂 🙂

If u want to contact me here is my email, nasihite@yahoo.com
I'm looking forward to it 🙂
Thanks a lot and God Bless

nb;
i'm a student in electrical engineering in Maranatha Christian University, Indonesia
I picked robotic as my interest..so this hexa dude (in process) could be my final project
and dont forgot to join IROF (Indonesia Robo Fest held in Bandung, sponsored by INFINEON of course 🙂 ) 838.attach
0 Likes
5 Replies
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
Hi born2crush,

First of all I would like to let you know that there are many reference example from this site which you can import into DAVE3. Just do a search on I2C or UART etc.

http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/promopages/aim-mc/DAVE_3_Support_Portal/DAVE_Example_Project_...

Most of the baud rate configuration can be done from the GUI and to select the pin for communication you have to click on manual pin connection. If you are still having issue with the connection or configuration please let me know.

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
Hi born2crush,

May I know what is the role of XMC4500 as a main processor in this project? I really do not understand the need of using dual processors for this case.

To optimize performance I can use XMC4500 to control all the servo motors of the robots at a faster processing speed than the p Brain mcu.

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks for reply sir,

well..first of all let me explain a little bit about the robot okay 🙂
i'm bulding this robot as a model for the competition based on Trinity College
Basiclly it's a wall follower robot, since it doesn't have a robot vision yet,
This robot designed to extinguish the fire in the arena and it must navigate trough the room by following the wall

it' hexapod robot, with six legs and 3servos for each legs,
i got about 6 distance sensor (ultrasonic PING) , i'm using them for navigation purpose of the robot, wall following
i got a one UV sensor to detect fire,
another motor(brushless) and a fan attached to it as a blower to extinguish the fire,
i got about 3pushbutton for the robot,
and another sensor for color detecting or sound activation

well because there is a lot of sensors and motors as I/O, i'm not sure to use one processor
so...i use the micromagic thing as the servo controller itself, and other sensor etc connect directly to XMC4500
and i'm trying to use the XMC4500 as the master, and the micromagic as the slave..
but i was wondering about the technique to communicate those processor sir..

that's the main problem i think..hehe
im looking forward if u have a suggestion for me..
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong.. What you trying to do is making each sensor or certain function into module by module.
Then you integrated all these modules into one as the whole robot project and it will be some what controlled by XMC4500 (a.k.a. the brain of this robot).
So in this case, what you need is to allow all these modules to communicated with XMC4500 to perform what is necessary.
Am I correct?

If this is case, I think most importantly is to know what communication protocol is supported by all these 'modules'.
The usual communication protocol would be UART, SPI or I2C.
The most simple should be UART but this is a point to point communication.
Hence, you might not able to communicated with too many modules.
For SPI, this is a Master-Slave approach. Master will provide clock signal to the slave when communication.
Master use Chip Select pins to select the slave he want to communicated.
For I2C, similar to SPI where it is also Master-Slave approach and Master will provide clock signal.
Good things is it doesn't need to use CS pin to select slave but rather use slave address to call the slave.

So depending on your application and the hardware support, you have to decide which protocol is the most suitable for you.
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Travis
Employee
Employee
Hi born2crush,

Your project is indeed interesting and challenging, I believe you have some block diagram to indicate the inter connection of your mentioned devices. Please share with us if you have so that we can have a better idea to help you faster.

it' hexapod robot, with six legs and 3servos for each legs,
i got about 6 distance sensor (ultrasonic PING) , i'm using them for navigation purpose of the robot, wall following
i got a one UV sensor to detect fire,
another motor(brushless) and a fan attached to it as a blower to extinguish the fire,
i got about 3pushbutton for the robot,
and another sensor for color detecting or sound activation

As mentioned in the micromagic system data sheet, it is mentioned that there is I2C and UART communication. But there is no mentioned of baudrate and data frame format etc. Maybe you have to advise us on this to help you further. Beside this you have to plan for the pins which you want to use for XMC.
0 Likes