XMC1000 Tooling Guide and in circuit tools need work

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
I started trying to use the Tooling Guide for the XMC1000, but it is a real mess and needs work:

The first problem is that there are two versions of the document with different names.
- one called TOO_XMC1000_Boot_Modes_v1_0.pdf located at
http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/TOO_XMC1000_Boot_Modes_v1_0.pdf?folderId=db3a30433580b3710135a47f3eb76c...
- another called XMC1000_TG_v1_0.pdf contained within the sample code of the zip file located at
http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/TOO_XMC1000_Boot_Modes_Example_Code_v1_0.exe?folderId=db3a30433580b3710...

Next, nowhere is the purpose of the guide explained. It is just three main sections

Next there are problems in specific sections:

Section 1.5.2, page 12
- the section indicates "Memtool is a free tool from Infineon Technologies that can be used to support the programming of XMC1000 devices."
- the section does not indicate whether Memtool can only be used to change the BMI value or can be used for general flash programming
- there is no section specifically describing how to program the BMI value for a MCU that is in circuit or if there is anything special about it

Section 2 and 3 titles sound very similar and do not help a reader understand their relationship to one another

Section 3.1.2 ends with a block of text that is either out of place or incomplete. The text "The Linker Script Language file..." seems to make some sort of warning but the reason is not clear whereas the previous Note above this text is followed by some specific instructions making the points raised relevant.

Section 3.5 indicates "The example programs have been tested on an Infineon XMC1300 CPU Card... " but does not indicate whether or not they should work on the other XMC1000 chips or any changes that are required to make the programs work on these other members of the family. They also do not indicate if it will work for in circuit programming.

What I really don't understand is why there is no document or chapter in this poorly named document providing simple instructions for programming in circuit and why there is no tool that is ready to use for this. If you want someone to use the chips, make it as easy as possible. Requiring them to download a compiler to build a piece of software just means many more obstacles that should not be there.

Regards,

Jason
0 Likes
3 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

longtimer wrote:
I started trying to use the Tooling Guide for the XMC1000, but it is a real mess and needs work:

The first problem is that there are two versions of the document with different names.
- one called TOO_XMC1000_Boot_Modes_v1_0.pdf located at
http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/TOO_XMC1000_Boot_Modes_v1_0.pdf?folderId=db3a30433580b3710135a47f3eb76c...
- another called XMC1000_TG_v1_0.pdf contained within the sample code of the zip file located at
http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/TOO_XMC1000_Boot_Modes_Example_Code_v1_0.exe?folderId=db3a30433580b3710...

Both are refers to the same, only one with the example code provided and the other one is just the *.pdf document.
This is our usual practice in distributing documents and example code.

longtimer wrote:

Next, nowhere is the purpose of the guide explained. It is just three main sections

This is something we could improved. I will update the author of the guide about it.

longtimer wrote:

Section 1.5.2, page 12
- the section indicates "Memtool is a free tool from Infineon Technologies that can be used to support the programming of XMC1000 devices."
- the section does not indicate whether Memtool can only be used to change the BMI value or can be used for general flash programming

It is stated there that the Memtool can be used to support the programming of XMC1000 devices which means that Memtool can be use as general flash programming software.

longtimer wrote:

- there is no section specifically describing how to program the BMI value for a MCU that is in circuit or if there is anything special about it

Basically the Memtool is independent on the hardware as long as your circuit provide the correct communication interface.
In the document, it describe the method with Virtual COM Port as well as DAP miniWiggler.
This is the only two communication interface that supported by Memtool.
For the DAP miniWiggler connection, it is already show in the document.
So, user should follow the connection shown in the guide to use it.

longtimer wrote:

Section 2 and 3 titles sound very similar and do not help a reader understand their relationship to one another

Section 2 refers to the ASC bootstrap loader protocol of the microcontroller and Section 3 refers to the example code for ASC BSL programmer that provided together with the document. (refers to your first question)

longtimer wrote:

Section 3.1.2 ends with a block of text that is either out of place or incomplete. The text "The Linker Script Language file..." seems to make some sort of warning but the reason is not clear whereas the previous Note above this text is followed by some specific instructions making the points raised relevant.

For explanation in Section 3, you should always refers to the example project.

longtimer wrote:

Section 3.5 indicates "The example programs have been tested on an Infineon XMC1300 CPU Card... " but does not indicate whether or not they should work on the other XMC1000 chips or any changes that are required to make the programs work on these other members of the family. They also do not indicate if it will work for in circuit programming.

If you understand or refers to your Reference Manual, you will find that the bootloader chapter are exactly the same for other XMC1000 devices.
Therefore, if the example is able to work on XMC1300, it should work with other device from XMC1000 family as all are using the same protocol.

longtimer wrote:

What I really don't understand is why there is no document or chapter in this poorly named document providing simple instructions for programming in circuit and why there is no tool that is ready to use for this. If you want someone to use the chips, make it as easy as possible. Requiring them to download a compiler to build a piece of software just means many more obstacles that should not be there.

Regards,

Jason

Basically ASC BSL is an in circuit programming.
All you need to do is develop the Host so that the microcontroller able to communicate with the Host.
Since we already define how the ASC BSL should work, the Host should follow the given protocol and this is what this documentation is provided.
Should you not want to develop your own Host software, you could always choose Memtool as your programming software.
0 Likes
User8683
Level 4
Level 4
First like received
Jackson,

Regarding your first answer, I understand that the documents are included in separate ways, but since they are the same document, they should have the same name. I ended up having to look through them to see whether they were the same or even different versions of the same document.

Regarding the 3rd point, if Memtool can be used for general flash programming, an example should be provided showing general use of the tool.

For the 4th response, please have both methods outlined in the document.

For the 7th response, the fact that the same code works for any of the MCU models should be stated explicitly.

For the 8th response, my point is that there should be a section outlining how to program in circuit with Memtool. As per the other forum post I raised, Memtool was generating errors when I attempted to set it up for communication with the XMC1100, even before I connected it.
Not applicable
Hi Jason,

I will update the author on your suggestion.
Thanks for the feedback.