Question on JTAG interface.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,

I am trying to purchase a starter kit TC275, and I am a little but confused what I also should buy to do debugging and testing.

It looks like there is no JTAG interface in starter kit TC275, then maybe I should buy DAP-miniWiggler I guess.

However, what is the difference between DAP-miniWiggler and DAP-miniWiggler V3?

Additionally, for starter kit TC275, what should I buy?

My purpose is of course do some coding, flashing and testing with that TC275 based test board. I do NOT have any additional JTAG interface like TRACE32.

What should I buy, and do I need any other tool?

Sincerely, Smith
0 Likes
5 Replies
µC_Wrangler
Employee
Employee
50 solutions authored 100 sign-ins 25 likes received
smith wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to purchase a starter kit TC275, and I am a little but confused what I also should buy to do debugging and testing.

It looks like there is no JTAG interface in starter kit TC275, then maybe I should buy DAP-miniWiggler I guess.

However, what is the difference between DAP-miniWiggler and DAP-miniWiggler V3?

Additionally, for starter kit TC275, what should I buy?

My purpose is of course do some coding, flashing and testing with that TC275 based test board. I do NOT have any additional JTAG interface like TRACE32.

What should I buy, and do I need any other tool?

Sincerely, Smith

Hello Smith. The TC275 Starter Kits include a USB DAP interface - that's good enough for most coding, flashing, and testing. The USB interface also includes a virtual com port tied to the AURIX ASCLIN0 peripheral.

You'll also need a compiler tool chain.

Regards,
Neal
0 Likes
Not applicable
Dear Neal,

Thank you for your kind answer. I think the "Free TriCore Entry Tool Chain" is included into the package, but you said that I need the compiler tool chain.

Do you mean that the free tool chain is only an evaluation version and I need to buy official version to use unlimited functionality? What is the limitation of the free tool chain - e.g. limited period of using the compiler? Or is there any other issue I have to be aware?

Since I never bought any starter kit by my hand, I am not sure what I need to prepare. Thank you for your help in advance!

Sincerely, Smith
0 Likes
µC_Wrangler
Employee
Employee
smith wrote:
Do you mean that the free tool chain is only an evaluation version and I need to buy official version to use unlimited functionality? What is the limitation of the free tool chain - e.g. limited period of using the compiler? Or is there any other issue I have to be aware?

That should be fine. From its manual:
Note: The TriCore Free Entry Tool Chain license is valid for at least one year. There are following restrictions in comparison to the professional version: Useable for TriCore evaluation boards with on-board wiggler only, PCP assembler only, Debugger: No visualization functions at runtime, no MCDS support, No Script support. Please contact tctcsupport@pls-mc.com for extending the license.

smith wrote:
Since I never bought any starter kit by my hand, I am not sure what I need to prepare.

If you need access to every AURIX pin, the TC275 TRB (TriBoard) kits might be the best choice. If you need a lower cost board with a few bells and whistles (TFT screen, microSD slot), the TFT kit could be a better fit.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Dear Neal, I am using Tricore 1782 for some coding, I just want to confirm that, if I only use the "Free TriCore™ Entry Tool Chain", does it mean that I can't use PCP? I just receive the board today. Thanks for your help!
0 Likes
µC_Wrangler
Employee
Employee
wkaioy wrote:
Dear Neal, I am using Tricore 1782 for some coding, I just want to confirm that, if I only use the "Free TriCore™ Entry Tool Chain", does it mean that I can't use PCP? I just receive the board today. Thanks for your help!

The Free Tool Chain does support the PCP, but only in assembly. Only the full version includes a PCP C compiler.
0 Likes