interface Profets to LED Drivers for higher power ???

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
As a beginners Project, I want to build DJ's LED light Bars with 16, 5 watt or more LED´s ; I opted for an Arduino + TI's TLC59116/ TLC59116F Led drivers hosting constant current sink or open drain outputs.

Ok so I experimented with normal Fets with pullup resistor on the gate and they work fine (see Image), but I want to use Profet's features like short circuit protection, ESD protection. etc.. and my question is :

1. Can I just connect them like regular fet.?
2. If not, how can I connect them to the TLC's?
3. Is there any special considerations ?

618.attach
0 Likes
2 Replies
User270
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored First solution authored
Profet like BTS443P (http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/BTS443P_DS_v10.pdf?folderId=db3a304314dca389011537739e37155f&fileId=db3...) can be switched on by using open drain FET at input. Other PROFET input pin are designed for microcontroller compatibility.

1.) 2.) No, either you have to connect the input pin of Profet to GND with a switch or an open collector/drain transistor/FET or with other Profet you have to use microcontroller logic voltage level.
3.) If brightness control is done by PWM the PWM frequency might be too high for PROFET.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Forix: Thank you, for your help it cleared things up a Little, sorry for the late response, I was expecting email when post received an update...
0 Likes