[Relax Kit XMC 4500] What MAC address?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm wondering what the MAC address of my Relax board is.
Is it defined in the XMC4500 or in the PHY? Or is there no "official" MAC address, so which should I take then?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Lonz
0 Likes
9 Replies
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
Hi Lonz,

You can program the MAC ID of XMC4500 using the ETH001 apps.
562.attach

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
Not applicable
Travis wrote:
You can program the MAC ID of XMC4500 using the ETH001 apps.

Hi Travis,

thank you very much. But I was just wondering what the "branded" MAC address of my Relax Board is.
Is there one specified for the MAC oder the PHY by the vendor? If not, which one am I allowed to take?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Lonz
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
Lonz wrote:
Hi Travis,

thank you very much. But I was just wondering what the "branded" MAC address of my Relax Board is.
Is there one specified for the MAC oder the PHY by the vendor? If not, which one am I allowed to take?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards
Lonz

Hi Lonz,

I think you are referring to the PHY.
"On board PHY device DP83848CVV is connected to the CPU via a RMII."

From the ETH002 apps u can have a choice to select either the NS PHY or Micrel PHY.

563.attach

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
Not applicable
Travis wrote:
I think you are referring to the PHY.

Hi Travis,

thank you very much again.
But what I am asking: Is there a MAC address pre-given for the relax board?
In other words: Do you or micrel give a specific MAC address as it is common case e.g. when buying a network card for a pc?

If there is no pre-defined MAC address: What MAC address am I allowed to chose?

I hope I made my question clear.
Best regards,
Lonz
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
Hi Lonz,

But what I am asking: Is there a MAC address pre-given for the relax board?
Yes, it is as per define on the first screen shot.

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
Not applicable
Travis wrote:
Yes, it is as per define on the first screen shot.

Hi Travis,

Obviously I can assign a MAC address by myself and the standard value of it is in DAVE 00:03:19:45:00:00 .

But: Is there an unique address for my relax board? Like registered by Infineon or micrel.
If not: What address am I allowed to assign? Especially when using multiple boards in one network.

Best regards
Lonz
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
Lonz wrote:
Hi Travis,

Obviously I can assign a MAC address by myself and the standard value of it is in DAVE 00:03:19:45:00:00 .

But: Is there an unique address for my relax board? Like registered by Infineon or micrel.
If not: What address am I allowed to assign? Especially when using multiple boards in one network.

Best regards
Lonz

Hi Lonz,

I believe there is some kind of official registration which you need to make such that you are given to a range of MAC address. Really not very sure about this.

For temporary solution, maybe you can just assign each board with a different MAC address.

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Travis,

As you mentioned "I believe there is some kind of official registration which you need to make such that you are given to a range of MAC address", that means if I want to transit my XMC4800 in my product into mass production,
I should have to purchase a unique MAC address from telecom company for giving each of my products to have a unique MAC address(e.g. when buying a network card for a pc?).
Is that right? thanks!

regards,
Fender
0 Likes
Not applicable
Fender,
either you get the MAC address as gift ( or part of a product), or you have to buy it, or you set the MAC address arbitrarily. Check the Link.
http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/index.html
0 Likes