How to use ESD to protect surge 40A for Ethernet

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
How to use ESD to protect 40A surge for Ethernet? maybe by different circuit or other?
0 Likes
3 Replies
E_B_
Employee
Employee
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 10 questions asked
Hi Ken,

Welcome to the Infineon ESD Forum! and thank you very much for your question. The Infineon ESD Protection experts are working to assist you.

Just to be on the same line, I would to confirm a couple of facts with you:

1) is the 8/20 waveform and IEC61000-4-5 your standard of reference for the 40A surge requirement?
2) For the question: How to use ESD to protect 40A surge for Ethernet? maybe by different circuit or other? . Does it mean, you have already a basic solution, and look for an alternative? shall this alternative replace or reinforce the existing protection?

Best regards,

Eliana
0 Likes
Not applicable
Good day!
Sorry is my mistake,
1. actually in 10/700 .
2. I have no solution,

Best regards
0 Likes
Alexander_Glas
Employee
Employee
Hi Ken,
You run a 10/700us (voltage wave) respectively 5/320us (current wave) into the RJ45 connector in front of the magnetic module.
Is this correct?
To protect the Ethernet - / Gb-Ethernet PHY from residual surge strike, a surge protection device is required in front of the PHY (at the output of the magnetic module).
The duration of the residual surge strike at the magnetic output is much lower than the initial pulse length facing magnetic module input.
Therefore we can work with surge robust TVS diodes in front of the PHY (at the magnetic module output) specified according surge 8/20us.
Impact of load capacitance at Ethernet and especially at Gb-Ethernet has to be taken into account. The surge TVS diode must be al low capacitance type.

The appropriate Infineon type for this application is the TVS3V3L4U.

Regards
Alex
0 Likes