ETM TPIU signal enabling on the XMC4500

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User5581
Level 3
Level 3
Hello,
I am using an XMC4500F144K1024. I would like to enable the Cortex ETM Trace debug signals from the TPIU
to appear on P2.10 - P2.14 so that I may do a high speed instruction trace using a ULINK Pro.

I am not sure what the recommended method to enable these signals to appear at the external pins.
Should I write to P2_HWSEL.HWx to select HWO0 at the port pin hardware select register in my initialization code, or,
is there a DAVE3 app that will do this work for me in DAVE_Init() once I have chosen pins in the DAVE3 Manual Pin Assignment Dialog?

Thanks.
0 Likes
5 Replies
User5581
Level 3
Level 3
It appears that IODBG001 is the DAVE3 App I was looking for.
0 Likes
User5581
Level 3
Level 3
I find a new problem now. I have a DAVE3 project open for XMC4500-F144x1024 step AB. The IODBG001 App is not listed in the App selection view window. I have looked using both DAVE 3.1.8 and 3.1.10. (Importing to different workspaces, of course.)

I have the pins for ports 2.10-2.14 available for the trace port, so there should not be a conflict in resource allocation for pins that is hiding it.

If I start a new DAVE CE Project for this device in DAVE 3.1.8, I still cannot see IODBG001 in the App Selection View.

I can see the installation of the IODBG001 app in the directory:
C:\Users\\Infineon\D3LibraryStore_3.1.8\www.infineon.com\1.0.2\app\iodbg001

I have another workspace with XMC4500 Hexagon examples projects in it, and the IODBG001 app is listed in those projects. When I import my project mentioned above to this other workspace and set it to be the active project, then the IODBG001 app disappears from the App Selection View. This leads me to believe that my problem is specific to my project somehow.

Running the solver and then regenerating code does not make IODGB001 available again

Perhaps another resource conflict may be hiding the availability of the IODBG001 app in this project.
Can anyone suggest what I might do to be able to get the IODBG001 app available to me again? 🙂

Thanks!
0 Likes
User5581
Level 3
Level 3
I have some more information regarding this issue:

When creating new empty DAVE CE projects and selecting the XMC4500-F144x1024 device in DAVE 3.1.10, I find the following:
(Here, I am right clicking in the DAVE 3 project Explorer and selecting New >> DAVE Project >> DAVE CE Project)

For step AA: IODBG001 and many other apps are available in the App Selection View. This is as expected.
For step AB: No apps are listed in the App Selection View - None at all.
For step AC: Many apps are listed in the App Selection View, but IODBG001 is not in the list.

This is after I verified I had recent device definitions using Help >> Check for updates from the DAVE3.1.10 main menu.

If I repeat all this in DAVE 3.1.8 (in a different workspace) I observe the following:

For step AA: IODBG001 and many other apps are available in the App Selection View. This is as expected.
For step AB: Many apps are listed in the App Selection View, but IODBG001 is not in the list.
For step AC: The following error dialog is shown after clicking 'Finish' in the Target Selection Page Dialog:

485.attach

For step AC, DAVE3 still creates the project anyway, and many apps are listed in the App Selection View, but IODBG001 is not in the list.

Again, This is after I verified I had recent device definitions using Help >> Check for updates from the DAVE3.1.8 main menu.

It seems that the behavior for step AB and AC devices is not correct.

Is there a file somewhere that I can edit as a workaround to allow a step AB project to allow use of IODBG001?

Thanks,
0 Likes
Not applicable
1)
zoompig wrote:
I have a DAVE3 project open for XMC4500-F144x1024 step AB. The IODBG001 App is not listed in the App selection view window. I have looked using both DAVE 3.1.8 and 3.1.10.

Currently the IODBG001 [1.2.2] supports XMC45 AA-step only. So this is correct.

2)
zoompig wrote:
Is there a file somewhere that I can edit as a workaround to allow a step AB project to allow use of IODBG001?

You can copy DAVE generated code (IODBG001.c & MULTIPLEXER.c) from AA project to the AB project.

3)
zoompig wrote:
I have another workspace with XMC4500 Hexagon examples projects in it, and the IODBG001 app is listed in those projects. When I import my project mentioned above to this other workspace and set it to be the active project, then the IODBG001 app disappears from the App Selection View. This leads me to believe that my problem is specific to my project somehow.

I believe you import your AA project built on DAVE v3.1.8 to DAVE v3.1.10. However, I was unable to reproduce this problem. Would you mind to send me your project together with the log files?

4)
zoompig wrote:
When creating new empty DAVE CE projects and selecting the XMC4500-F144x1024 device in DAVE 3.1.10, I find the following:
(Here, I am right clicking in the DAVE 3 project Explorer and selecting New >> DAVE Project >> DAVE CE Project)

For step AB: No apps are listed in the App Selection View - None at all.
For step AC: Many apps are listed in the App Selection View, but IODBG001 is not in the list.

Could you try to switch the active project to others eg. AA project then back again, see whether it helps?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
User5581
Level 3
Level 3
Hi Sophia.
Thank you very much for your help.

Point 1) was my main misunderstanding; Now I understand that only the AA stepping is supported with IODBG001. Thanks for making that clear to me. I will try to cut and paste code as you suggest in Point 2).

Regarding point 3) in your last post: I tried it again and I can not reproduce this either. IODBG001 appears for me now in DAVE 3.1.10 after importing. This may simply have been my error.

For Point 4), I find that when I migrate the empty project from stepping AA to AB that the apps do appear now in the App Selection View window. I created another empty DAVE CE project in DAVE3.1.10 with stepping AB and the apps appeared. This must also have been an error on my part.

Best Regards,
0 Likes