infineon4engi@twitter twitter

infineon4engineers Facebook

infineon@linkedin linkedin

infineon@youtube youtube

+ Reply to Thread
    kksai18

To reduce water wastage

I want to make a water level indicator cum motor control device for my hostel's water tank. I want to make three led's to glow for different levels of water and the moment the third led glows the motor must stop pumping water into the tank. How do I control the motor? Do I have to use a microcontroller, and if yes how?

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Juergen is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

Infineon has a number of microcontrollers that can drive a motor via mosfets, the XMC series.
    The kits are cheap, there is also a free toolchain that can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/produ...3d64397b0c2043

How are you sensing the water level? I have experimented with some adhesive copper strip on the outside of a glass tank (aquarium) and used capacitive sensing. This works nicely. Infineon have a XMC1200 that has a capacitive touch sensing module / LED drive module. You could use this and detect gradual changes in capacitance as the water level changes. There are very little external components needed for this and your pcb can become quite simple. You may need to experiment a little with the tank you are using.

Let me know what motor you want to drive and also what kind of water tank you have.

Best Regards
    Juergen
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

kksai18
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, i am too using the capacitive sensing technique But not with the tank itself as one of the capacitor plates, two wires one connected to supply and other through a transistor to ground. The tank is made of pvc. I am doing this to save water that overflows from my hostel's water tank. So, i want to switch off the pump motor using this circuit.

CleverOne
    Hey kksai18,
    Interesting project you want to do there.
    Have you decided how to detect the water level?

Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.