XMC4500 communication with another µC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hello,

for my project for university I am using the XMC4500 to convert several analog signals and do some calculations with the values. After that I want to send the results to another microcontroller which displays the values on a display. I know about the GUI-features of the XMC4500 but I want to use another display controller (FTDI FT800) so I use an evalutation board (Renesas RX63N) to adress the display controller.

It is my first connection of two MCUs so I would like to know:

Which is the easiest way to send values between two MCUs? I2C, SPI, UART or CAN?
I want to use the relax kit lite for my application, although I can test the communication with the hexagon-kit. But the migration should not be a big problem with the Dave 3 features, right?

Are there any important things I have to keep in mind when I want to connect two MCUs?

Thank you very much for help!
Best regards!
MTR
0 Likes
5 Replies
Not applicable
Hi MTR,

Are you only communicated between 2 MCU?
If that's the case, I would suggest you to use UART. That's the most simple way of communication and only use 2 wire.
There is no Master and Slave also and it is asynchronous.

rgds,
Rou
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Rou,

thank you for your adwise.

Yes I have only two MCUs so UART should be the easiest. Unfortunately I haven't found many APIs for the second MCU (Renesas RX63N) for UART but much more for SPI. Maybe I have to work with that, although it is more complicated.

Is there a possiblilty to run the XMC4500 in SPI slave mode? The apps always configure the USIC as master.

Is there any example for SPI without the flash chip? Just a simple communication example, I could use to develop my code?

Thanks again!
Regards,
MTR
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
Hi MTR,

The simplest way for your requirement is to use UART/SPI communication.

Best Regards
Travis
0 Likes
Travis
Employee
Employee
First solution authored Welcome! 500 replies posted
To operate SSC in slave mode please have a look at XMC4500 reference manual "17.4.4 Operating the SSC in Slave Mode".
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi MTR,

You can refers to these thread where SPI slave topic is discuss.
Some example codes is provided too.
http://www.infineonforums.com/threads/574-SPI-Slave-Configuration
and
http://www.infineonforums.com/threads/859-SPI-(SSC)-Slave-Mode

rgds,
Rou
0 Likes