Protection Importance

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi, cool to have this Forum launched. Let me ask a first more General question. Why becomes a proper ESD protection more and more mandatory?
0 Likes
1 Reply
Alexander_Glas
Employee
Employee
ESD sensitivity of semiconductor devices is increased in general by every step forward in miniaturization.
On the other hand miniaturization is very important to bring production cost down and functionality / signal speed up.
In case of an ESD strike a certain maximum voltage must not exceed at the IC I/O s. Otherwise an ESD damage is encountered.

Moving forward in miniaturization internal isolation structures are reduced (e.g. the gate oxide thickness of a MOS-FET) and size if internal ESD protection structures is shrinked as well.
This has an impact to the maximum possible voltage at the IC I/O s in the case of an ESD strike. This value is continuously going down by every step forward in technology nodes.

Reasonable ESD protection (according System Level, IEC61000-4-2) of the IC in the application has to be provided by dedicated TVS diodes on the PCB, collaborating in a tailored way with the internal IC ESD protection.
0 Likes