XMC1300 boot kit debugger problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi,
Target : XMC1300 bootkit
Problem : Not able to debugg the program on bootkit
I have XMC1300 boot kit, and just changed XMC1302 ARM processor with a new XMC1302 ARM processor.
When I debugg program, Dave not able to establish a connection with error is:
The debug instrument IO could not be initialized.
An error occured while connecting to the target. The exact cause is unknown, but possibly, the J-link is not connected to the target properly.
I am able to debugg program with old XMC1302 ARM which one I have getting with bootkit but not able to program with new XMC1302 ARM on
same boot kit. I have tried with two XMC1302 ARM but same problem exist.

what could be problem?

Regards,
Naresh
0 Likes
6 Replies
Not applicable
Hi, Naresh,
The new XMC1302 device has a default BMI value of ASC_BSL. The XMC1302 device on the XMC1300 boot kit was programmed to an BMI value of SWD0 debug (P0.14 as SWDIO and P0.15 as SWDCLK). So, first you need to program the BMI value of the new XMC1302 device to SWD0 debug mode. You could do this by using DAVE3 BMI Get Set Utility to change the BMI value from ASC_BSL to SWD0 debug. In the main menu of the DAVE3, click the "BMI Get Set" icon as highlight in red circle. Then, the "BMI Get Set" dialog box will appear, Click the "Select" pull down bar, select -> User Mode (debug) SWD0. Then, click the "Set BMI" button. The BMI value of the new XMC1302 device should be change to SWD0 (debug).
400.attach401.attach
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks for guide
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply,
I had tried that option but When I select BMI as either User Mode(Debug)SPD0(P0.14) or any other option I got following error:
> Could not set BMI value. please check connection
> Update drivers and try again
I'm using with DAVE3.1.8 and Segger J-Link ARM 4.74.
How to config BMI for a new chip? How to connect with Target board?
Regards
Naresh
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi, Naresh,
First, connect SWD to P0.14 and SWDCLK to P0.15 of the new XMC1302 device. Do a power reset on the xmc1302 device. From the Get Set BMI, click the Get BMI button, it should be able to detect ASC_BSL. Next, you could click the Select Pull down bar to select the desired SWD0 (debug) mode. Please do NOT select Productive mode, that is a Flash protection mode. It mean that the Flash is protected and cannot be accessed by the debugger anymore. Please note SWD0 is different from SPD0. Then, you click the Set BMI button.
0 Likes
Not applicable
tys wrote:
Hi, Naresh,
First, connect SWD to P0.14 and SWDCLK to P0.15 of the new XMC1302 device. Do a power reset on the xmc1302 device. From the Get Set BMI, click the Get BMI button, it should be able to detect ASC_BSL. Next, you could click the Select Pull down bar to select the desired SWD0 (debug) mode. Please do NOT select Productive mode, that is a Flash protection mode. It mean that the Flash is protected and cannot be accessed by the debugger anymore. Please note SWD0 is different from SPD0. Then, you click the Set BMI button.

Hi Tys, I have same problems like Naresh too. Could you gave me the steps with picture to do reset XMC1302 device?

Where is pin SWD and SWDCLK? I'm using XMC1300 Motor Controller Toolkit..

Thanks
Best regards,
Girinw
0 Likes
User12775
Level 5
Level 5
First solution authored First like received
Use memtool to change the BMI if it is a new device.

To my experience the BMI tool built-in the DAVE could only change the BMI from SWD to other options but not vice vera.
0 Likes