Using Dave 3 with custom HW

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
I'm evaluating a new Microcontroller-familie for our next generation HW products. One of the things we have to look at, is to have a free or low-cost development environment.
The environment has to be delivered to the customer to give him the possibility to program the HW.
Most customers do use only moderate numbers of the HW (50..500 unit's/year) so the development environment has to be low-cost.
DAVE 3 seems very interesting to us, but i did not find information about the usability of it with commercial HW.
Most of the components are under "Cisco-style Mozilla Public License 1.1", but a problem could be the Debugger from Tasking.
As I understand the Debugger supports only J-Link Lite (not usable on commercial HW) and the DAB miniWiggler.
Are there any restrictions on using the Debugger with DAB miniWiggler on commercial HW?

best regards

Martin Hollenweger
0 Likes
2 Replies
Georg_Huba
Employee
Employee
For the Altium Tasking Debugger the standard Altium EULA is applied (see license terms in DAVE 3 Help section) which allows commercial use.

The licenses terms for the J-Link Lite that comes with some of the XMC4500 kits are as follows:
“J-Link Lite CortexM is only delivered and supported as part of a starter kit, which includes an evaluation board. It is not sold separately. It may only be used with the evaluation board it came with. It may not be used with other hardware, except custom boards using the same microcontroller as as the evaluation board it comes with. Please understand that SEGGER can not provide support for problems which occur with custom hardware”

Source:
http://www.segger.com/jlink-lite-cortexm.html

For me, it doesn’t explicitly say no commercial use.

The DAP miniWiggler can be used to develop custom/commercial HW.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi guys,
1 im novice & hobbist
2 taken exagon kit_xmc45_ae1-002 installed dave 4.3.2 upgraded no errors
3 foollowed to build easystart project in 64bit version
4 had not response by target in debug session
5 the reason is that is not a SEGGER license j-link in my chip emulator s/n591006237
in other treads i had read that in every kit there is one that cant be moved .
Pheraps it was lost in upgrading xmc4200 ?
How i can do ?
tanks in advance

now solved by me with parallel installing version 3.1 in wich can be selected Segger OB drivers for edu kits
this is the same problem that was encoutered by others in licence crash after upgrading. hope to be useful
gianmario
0 Likes