Difference between CFD7 and PFD7S

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NXTY_Fujioka
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
50 sign-ins 25 replies posted First like received
Could you let me the difference between CoolMOS CFD7 and PFD7?
I compared the IPA60R125CFD7 and IPAN60R125PFD7S, which have the same package and specs.

According to the datasheet, the IPA60R125CFD7 has ID(max)=11A, but the IPAN60R125PFD7S has ID(max)=25A.
What is the reason for this difference in specifications?
The rest of the specifications are almost the same, so I suspect that the chips inside are the same.
Are the chips in these the same?
If the chip inside is the same, the maximum value of ID should be the same, but why is it different?

Best regards,
Yuki
0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted
Hello Yuki,

I apologize for the late response.
The reason for the difference in Id between PFD7 to CFD7 is the following:

In the footnote of the datasheet we can see the following:
5202.attach
In other words, the rated current is defined for a duty cycle =50%. This is typically applied to all consumer/standard applications to which the PFD7 is targeted. You can see the same also applied to the CoolMOS P7 family.
On the other hand, there is no limitation of duty cycle for CFD7 current rating., since this part is fitting to high-end industrial applications.
There is in no way no significant difference in bonding between the two technologies.

Therefore, the difference in Id is just a difference in test settings, namely duty cycle.

I hope this clears your question.

Best regards,
Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Pablo_EG
Hello Yuki,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Forums.
We are working on your question and we will get back to you as soon as we have an answer.

Best regards,
Pablo
0 Likes
Pablo_EG
Hello Yuki,

I apologize for making you wait.
We are still working on your question, however, it is taking more time than expected.

Please wait a little more while we work on it.
Best regards,

Pablo
0 Likes
Pablo_EG
Hello Yuki,

I apologize for the late response.
The reason for the difference in Id between PFD7 to CFD7 is the following:

In the footnote of the datasheet we can see the following:
5202.attach
In other words, the rated current is defined for a duty cycle =50%. This is typically applied to all consumer/standard applications to which the PFD7 is targeted. You can see the same also applied to the CoolMOS P7 family.
On the other hand, there is no limitation of duty cycle for CFD7 current rating., since this part is fitting to high-end industrial applications.
There is in no way no significant difference in bonding between the two technologies.

Therefore, the difference in Id is just a difference in test settings, namely duty cycle.

I hope this clears your question.

Best regards,
Pablo
0 Likes
NXTY_Fujioka
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - NEXTY (Japan)
50 sign-ins 25 replies posted First like received
Dear Pablo

Thank you for your answer.
In other words, are the two companies exactly the same except for the imprinting, just with different test conditions for ID?
If so, what is the reason for the price difference between IPA60R125CFD7 and IPAN60R125PFD7S?

Best regards,
Yuki Fujioka
0 Likes
Pablo_EG
Hello Fujioka san,

CFD7 and PFD7 are different technologies.
The chips are not the same.
The CFD7 technology allows it to have higher robustness.
The fact that most parameters are similar is because they have been designed like that, not because the chip is the same.
These parts are not the same chip.

Best regards,
Pablo
0 Likes