Differences between the IGBT6 and older Trenchstop technologies

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Lisa1
Employee
Employee
Good morning everybody,
I hope you're all doing well.

Can you explain to me what the differences are between the IGBT6 and older Trenchstop technologies?

Thanks for your answer!
Lisa
0 Likes
1 Solution
Giuseppe_De_Fal
10 solutions authored 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hi,

the answer provided by Bernd is quite comprehensive.

I would just like to point you out straight to the differences between 650V TRENCHSTOP IGBT6 and former IGBT TRENCHSTOP technologies:

- 650V IGBT6 technology has better dI/dt controllability which translates in better EMI performances and lower filtering requirements

- 650V IGBT6 shows lower switching losses and similar VCEsat compared to former TRENSCHTOP technology, therefore is optimized for higher switching frequency application up to 30kHz.

Please note that 650V IGBT6 based product portfolio is available only in TO-220 Full-Pack and TO-252 (DPAK).

Best Regards,

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
schmoelb
Employee
Employee
First solution authored
Hi! The contrabillity is different in such a way, that by increasing the Rg the di/dt decreases which was the opposite in the previous technologies. This influences among other things the EMI.
This is described in detail in our new appnote: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN2020-18_Introduction_to_discrete_650V_IGBT6_and_600V_RC_IGB...
Additionally the losses are reduced, both switching and conduction, also visualized in the appnote.

Cheers, Bernd
0 Likes
Giuseppe_De_Fal
10 solutions authored 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hi,

the answer provided by Bernd is quite comprehensive.

I would just like to point you out straight to the differences between 650V TRENCHSTOP IGBT6 and former IGBT TRENCHSTOP technologies:

- 650V IGBT6 technology has better dI/dt controllability which translates in better EMI performances and lower filtering requirements

- 650V IGBT6 shows lower switching losses and similar VCEsat compared to former TRENSCHTOP technology, therefore is optimized for higher switching frequency application up to 30kHz.

Please note that 650V IGBT6 based product portfolio is available only in TO-220 Full-Pack and TO-252 (DPAK).

Best Regards,

Giuseppe

0 Likes