display backlight with a LITIX Power DC-DC boost controller

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User20728
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked
Hello all,

I'm new in this forum and I hope someone will help me on this topic...

I'm realizing a display backlight with TLD5099EP. In the datasheet I'm not able to find the contrast ratio the device is able to manage.
Is there anybody that can share to me this value?
What about the other devices in the family?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day,

Jacky
0 Likes
1 Solution
fausto_borg
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 likes received
Hi Jacky,

nice to meet you in this forum.

The dimming ratio (called also contrast ratio) is the ratio between the PWM period and the minimum duty time manageable by the DC-DC.

In order to perform dimming without color shift, digital dimming has to be used.

The minimum PWM frequency to avoid flickering is 50 Hz (--> 20 ms period time). The minimum duty time for TLD5099EP is tPWMI,H = 6 us. Then the contrast ratio is 20*10-3/(6*10-6):1 --> 3333:1

See the section "Enable and dimming function" in the datasheet of TLD5099EP

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fausto_borg
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 likes received
Hi Jacky,

nice to meet you in this forum.

The dimming ratio (called also contrast ratio) is the ratio between the PWM period and the minimum duty time manageable by the DC-DC.

In order to perform dimming without color shift, digital dimming has to be used.

The minimum PWM frequency to avoid flickering is 50 Hz (--> 20 ms period time). The minimum duty time for TLD5099EP is tPWMI,H = 6 us. Then the contrast ratio is 20*10-3/(6*10-6):1 --> 3333:1

See the section "Enable and dimming function" in the datasheet of TLD5099EP