BTN8982TA easy to burn...

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User20677
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted
I have a problem with BTN8982TA H-Bridge - when I change the direction of of the motor until it stops his movement - I have two IC's burned.

4625.attach
4626.attach

I just put 24V power supply, and PWM is constant 0, INA & INB pulled up. I Start the motor by giving 1 on PWM and 0 on (for example) INA. When I put 1 on INA and 0 pn PWM the motor is freewheeling.
If I don't wait until the motor stops his movement and I put 1 on INB (opposite direction) and 1 on PWM - both drivers are burned.

I checked - if I have 2Ohm resistore instead of motor the problem doesn't exist.
0 Likes
7 Replies
JingN
First like received First solution authored 25 replies posted
Please check the voltage at VS pin. Changing the motor direction without a proper braking could cause a high voltage at VS pin. If the motor is still working as a generator, the voltage might exceed the max. rating as shown in the figure below:
4796.attach
0 Likes
User20677
Level 1
Level 1
I checked your suggestion - the voltage on Vs not exceed 30V when the driver is burned.

I also try to reduce the voltage to 14.7V just for test, and it burned also in the same way 😞 - the Vs not exceed 20V when it burned
0 Likes
JingN
Maybe you can check the output voltage to see if you have undervoltage toggling there. If yes, the overtemperature protection could react too late to protect the device.
0 Likes
User20677
Level 1
Level 1
You mean when the output voltage is lower than GND due to inductance?
0 Likes
JingN
Yes, the one we described in chapter 3.2.2 in our application note. It causes power dissipation and might destroy the device.
0 Likes
User20677
Level 1
Level 1
I checked that the voltage drop when the motor starts, but I didn't see the effect described in chapter 3.2.2.

I burned a lot of devices trying to investigate the problem - it occur before I change the direction.

I analysis that the problem occurs when I turn the motor off (INH floating, IN pulled down) and Low Side mosfet in the driver sometimes has burned out. So when I change direction it cause damage of full bridge due to shortcircuit.

Always low side mosfet are burned first.
0 Likes
JingN
Could you please share the input pattern you use? Example: IN = 1, INH = 1; --> IN = 0, INH = 0 --> ...
Maybe also some screen shot from waveform, so we can help you more in details.
0 Likes