XMC1400 boot kit changed BMI and cannot connect

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User20355
Level 1
Level 1
Hello eveybody,

I am working with the XCM1400 boot kit. (XMC1404-0200). Mistakenly I flashed it with code where I changed the BMI to " User mode with debug enabled and Halt After Reset", using the XMC_SCU_SetBMI() command.
After that I cannot flash again or enter in debug mode.

I have unsuccessfully tried with Jlink and Jlink commander as well as with memtool to change the BMI.
When I try to read or set the BMI with DAVE, I do not get an error but it somehow does nothing when I click any of the SET/GET BMI buttons.

The problem is that I cannot connect with any of them.

What I noticed after starting to try and correct my error is that the firmware shown in the JLink commander is 'Lite-XMC4200 Rev.1 compiled Mar 1 2019 11:28:26' even though I am using an XMC1400. I do not know what it was when it was working, but it looks wrong.

I searched and tried to implement solutions suggested here but I had no luck.

Any recommendation is welcome!

Regards,
Thodmir
0 Likes
1 Reply
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked
Hi Thodmin,

In User mode with debug enabled and Halt After Reset , After power-up/master reset, the device will wait for SWD/SPD connection after exit from the startup software.
If it encounters a system reset, the device will behave in a user mode (debug) manner. The user can access the full debug functionality using SWD/SPD to establish
a connection to the XMC1000 device. The register settings can be adjusted so that the SWD0 or SWD1 can be enabled according to requirement(same with SPD).

I guess when you changed the BMI to " User mode with debug enabled and Halt After Reset" the the SWD you are using also changed. So the device debug interface
is not connected to your current SWD pins, that is why you are unable to get or set the BMI values. What you can do is to connect the pins externally to the using two wires,
so that (pin 1.3 and SWD) and (Pin 1.2 and SWCLK) are connected. Then you can get and set the BMI value. I have tested the same using XMC1100 boot kit.

Meanwhile "JLink commander is 'Lite-XMC4200 Rev.1 compiled Mar 1 2019 11:28:26' even though I am using an XMC1400." is regarding the on board JLINK debugger
on your XMC1400 board which is based on XMC4200.

Best Regards,
Vasanth
0 Likes