Case Temp vs. Efficiency for IGBT Module

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
User20324
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked
What is the relationship between case temperature (or interface temp between the IGBT module and the cooling module) and the overall efficiency of of the inverter? I'm working with the HybridPACK 2 module (FS800R07A2E3_B31) and I'd like to know if there is an appreciable efficiency gain if I can drop the case temp by providing better cooling?
0 Likes
1 Solution
IGBT_Wizzard
10 solutions authored 10 replies posted 5 solutions authored
Dear acosenze,
raising the operation temperature is always a very effective measure to increase the performance of an IGBT module. As a rule of thumb, you can e.g. achieve roughly 20-25% more output current, if you are able to lower the case temperature and by this increase the junction temperature by 25K.
Of course, the exact values need verification by simulation. Please check our simulation program IPOSIM for such a calculation
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/tools/landing/iposim.html
Best regards
IGBT Wizzard
TS

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Giuseppe_De_Fal
10 solutions authored 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins
Hi acosenze,
as this is a topic for IGBT power modules, I have moved your question to the right section of the forum.

Best Regards,
Giuseppe
0 Likes
IGBT_Wizzard
10 solutions authored 10 replies posted 5 solutions authored
Dear acosenze,
raising the operation temperature is always a very effective measure to increase the performance of an IGBT module. As a rule of thumb, you can e.g. achieve roughly 20-25% more output current, if you are able to lower the case temperature and by this increase the junction temperature by 25K.
Of course, the exact values need verification by simulation. Please check our simulation program IPOSIM for such a calculation
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/tools/landing/iposim.html
Best regards
IGBT Wizzard
TS
0 Likes