Connections for Q=2 Hall sensors EVAL-M1-101T ?

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked
Using: EVAL-M1-101T & EVAL-M1-CM610N3 and a washing machine BLDC motor.

My motor has Q=2 Hall sensor output lines.
I'd like to try the hall sensors as start up under high loads is giving me real problems.

I initially assumed these are connected to JP2 Pins 2 and 3...correct?
Then I assumed on the Basic System Config wizard page, I am to choose HALL SENSOR CONFIG= Two Digital Hall
And enable the Script.
And chose for Rotor Angle Cal method...Hall angle? or Hall/flux hybrid angle?
But now I'm not so sure.
When I choose all the above and go to the last SCRIPT page, I only see unchecked boxes for AIN0/VSP and AIN11/Param/DHALL
Where does it show the HALL sensor I/O choices?
0 Likes
2 Replies
snget2
5 sign-ins First like received 25 replies posted
Hello dwissel,

EVAL-M1-101T does not support hall sensors. We will have another evaluation board, EVAL-M1-101TF which does. This board will be released by the end of October, 2020.
JP2 are not connect to AIN3, and AIN4, JP3 pint 2, and 3 are connected to AIN3, and AIN4.

While EVAL-M1-101T uses the IMC101T-T038 which supports digital Halls, the board itself does not. In order to use hall sensors, we need to add a pull-up, and RC filter components for each DHALL channel. And the cap needs to be close to the pin. If not done correctly, then it ends up noise susceptible. We recommend using the EVAL-M1-101TF when available.
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked
At the moment I'm having issues getting the Imotion combination boards to drive a BLDC washing machine motor.
The problems don't occur at high speed but rather start up. When trying to drive a load, the motor will try to turn, then the motor will completely stop yet make a noise as if something is being energized..

It appears as if without hall effect, the motor and driver combination is "lost"--that it can't make the determinations based solely on measurements.
Does this sound logical?
All these motors have hall efffect sensors--but discussions with BLDC people said they're not needed.
What's your "take"? I default to motor experts.

If only hall effect will solve, I'd be willing to try. Not sure we can wait till October

I'd be willing to try adding components--I now have Q=3 eval boards courtesy of assuming they were locked up. (bricked)
crude Schematic?

And let me guess, the Imotion tools don't support it yet, so would it be useless to add the components?
Or is there a work around for that?

snget2 wrote:
Hello dwissel,

EVAL-M1-101T does not support hall sensors. We will have another evaluation board, EVAL-M1-101TF which does. This board will be released by the end of October, 2020.
JP2 are not connect to AIN3, and AIN4, JP3 pint 2, and 3 are connected to AIN3, and AIN4.

While EVAL-M1-101T uses the IMC101T-T038 which supports digital Halls, the board itself does not. In order to use hall sensors, we need to add a pull-up, and RC filter components for each DHALL channel. And the cap needs to be close to the pin. If not done correctly, then it ends up noise susceptible. We recommend using the EVAL-M1-101TF when available.
0 Likes