2ed21094s06j

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19608
Level 1
Level 1
Dear Infineon Team,

I am planning to use your 2ED21094S06J gate driver in my circuit.

I have a question: The "negative" of Vcc (input power supply) should be connected to Vss (pin 5) or COM (pin 6)?

Kindly confirm that IN (input logic pulses) should be applied between pin 2 (IN) and pin 5 (Vss), right?

Also, SD-bar (shutdown) signal and IN signal should be referenced to Vss, right?

I request you send me Bootstrap capacitor (Cbs) calculation tool (I read somewhere that you have the Excel tool for the same).

I also request you to send me any application note covering more details of 2ED21094S06J.

Thanks and Regards,
-Ajay
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Yes the calculation value is ok and you can take little higher value. For safer side i recommend that you take 5 times higher  value. 

Yes, there is a difference between DSO-14 and SOIC-14 .

To increase the peak current for gate driver, i recommend you to use external Darlington pair BJT circuit which is commonly used to increase the gate current capability.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Srivatsa
First comment on blog 10 sign-ins First like received
Hi Ajay,.

Thanks for using the 2ED21094S06J in your design. Our answers are as below:

Vcc (input power supply) is supply for both internal logic and low-side gate driver. Typical connection should have one capacitor between VCC and Vss (pin 5) for logic supply and one capacitor between VCC and COM (pin 6). Depending on your layout and design (if VSS and COM are shorted) you can connect the capacitors to either.

IN (input logic pulses) should be applied between pin 2 (IN) and pin 5 (Vss), YES.

SD-bar (shutdown) signal and IN signal should be referenced to Vss, YES.

Bootstrap capacitor (Cbs) calculation tool: its available at Bootstrap Capacitor Excel Tool.

Application note covering more details of 2ED21094S06J: there are many application notes that can help you understand the level shift gate driver family. The list is as below and links are available at page 23 of the 2ED21094S06J datasheet.

Application Notes:

Understanding HVIC Datasheet Specifications
HV Floating MOS-Gate Driver ICs
Use Gate Charge to Design the Gate Drive Circuit for Power MOSFETs and IGBTs
Bootstrap Network Analysis: Focusing on the Integrated Bootstrap Functionality

Design Tips:

Using Monolithic High Voltage Gate Drivers
Alleviating High Side Latch on Problem at Power Up
Keeping the Bootstrap Capacitor Charged in Buck Converters
Managing Transients in Control IC Driven Power Stages
Simple High Side Drive Provides Fast Switching and Continuous On-Time

Best regards,

Srivatsa
0 Likes
User19608
Level 1
Level 1
Dear Srivatsa,

Thank you very much for your detailed message.

It's not clear to me where the Negative terminal of input power supply should be connected, Vss (pin 5) or COM (pin 6)? Are you saying that Vss (pin 5) and COM (pin 6) are internally shorted? Or they should be shorted externally?

What are the typical "values" and "type" of one capacitor between VCC and Vss (pin 5) for logic supply and one capacitor between VCC and COM (pin 6)?

I tried visiting the Bootstrap Capacitor Calculation tool with my Infineon login ID. It says, we are sorry...The page cannot be displayed. You do not have permission to open the requested page. What can be done?

For better results what should be the "Type" of Bootstrap capacitor? Please give some detailed guidelines.

I request you answer above queries and "Guide" me in the design process.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay Chole
0 Likes
Srivatsa
First comment on blog 10 sign-ins First like received
Hi Ajay,

It's not clear to me where the Negative terminal of input power supply should be connected: The Negative power supply should be connected to the Vss (pin 5). Vss (pin 5) and COM (pin 6) are internally shorted in the 8 pin package. For the 14-pin , like 2ED21094S06J, they are not shorted internally and can be shorted externally .

What are the typical "values" and "type" of one capacitor between VCC and Vss (pin 5) for logic supply and one capacitor between VCC and COM (pin 6): Typical values should be 10 times higher than the bootstrap capacitor. Maybe around 10 uF . Ceramic type. If ceramic cannot be found use an electrolytic with a small ceramic decoupling capacitor (10 nF) close to the IC.

I tried visiting the Bootstrap Capacitor Calculation tool with my Infineon login ID. It says, we are sorry...The page cannot be displayed. You do not have permission to open the requested page. What can be done? Pls recheck your browser settings. When I click the link an excel file is automatically downloaded.

For better results what should be the "Type" of Bootstrap capacitor? Please give some detailed guidelines. Best is to use a Ceramic type of capacitor for bootstrapping.

I request you answer above queries and "Guide" me in the design process. You can share your mail ID and I will loop local application team to support you.

Thanks and regards,

Srivatsa
0 Likes
User19608
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Srivatsa,

Thank you for your response.

I am still not able to get Bootstrap Capacitor Calculation tool.

I will send you my email address in a private message such that you or your team will help me in the design process.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay
0 Likes
User19608
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Infineon Team,

Question 1:

I wish to use this driver (2ED21094S06J) to drive IRFD024PBF power MOSFET half-bridge.

The bootstrap value as per the calculator you gave comes out to be around 40 nF. I am planning to use 47nF, 50V MLCC for this purpose.

Could you please confirm this value of bootstrap capacitor is OK?

Question:2: The package DSO-14 is same as SOIC-14 or is there any difference?

Question 3: Can we use 2ED21094S06J in parallel-operation to increase peak gate current?

Kindly let me know,

Thanks and Regards,
~Ajay
0 Likes

Hi,

Yes the calculation value is ok and you can take little higher value. For safer side i recommend that you take 5 times higher  value. 

Yes, there is a difference between DSO-14 and SOIC-14 .

To increase the peak current for gate driver, i recommend you to use external Darlington pair BJT circuit which is commonly used to increase the gate current capability.

BR,

AZIZ HASSAN

0 Likes