infineon4engi@twitter infineon4engineers infineon@linkedin infineon@youtube
twitter Facebook Linkedin Youtube

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Initial I2C Bus Reset

New Member New Member jonatan.zeidler is on a distinguished road

Initial I2C Bus Reset

It happens that some I2C slave permanently pulls down SDA, after the I2C bus was interrupted during some transmission.
    A solution to this is toggling the clock 8 times and sending a stop condition. A similar solution is to perform a Nack Read without Start Condition.
    The reference manual describes such a procedure in 18.5.4.2 Valid Master Transmit Data Formats in case of a wrong TDF code.

I would like to perform such a Bus Reset on each boot of my XMC4800. I tried with

Code:
    XMC_I2C_CH_MasterReceiveNack(channel);
    XMC_I2C_CH_MasterStop(channel);
    after initialization. Unfortunately, in case of a stuck SDA all what happens is a single clock toggle.
    I do not even get an i2c event interrupt. So I need to boot the XMC4800 up to eight times to reset the bus.

Is there a clean way to achieve this bus reset on initialization? Or do I need to configure the Pins as GPIO
    first and toggle the clock myself before initializing the I2C module?

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    jferreira will become famous soon enough
    Hi,

Can you try with the following sequence?
    Code:
          XMC_I2C_CH_ClearStatusFlag(i2c->i2c, XMC_I2C_CH_STATUS_FLAG_TRANSMIT_SHIFT_INDICATION);
          // Clear the bus by sending nine clock pulses
          XMC_I2C_CH_MasterStart(i2c->i2c, 0xff, XMC_I2C_CH_CMD_READ);
          while ((XMC_I2C_CH_GetStatusFlag(i2c->i2c) & XMC_I2C_CH_STATUS_FLAG_TRANSMIT_SHIFT_INDICATION) == 0U)
          ;

XMC_I2C_CH_ClearStatusFlag(i2c->i2c, XMC_I2C_CH_STATUS_FLAG_TRANSMIT_SHIFT_INDICATION);
          XMC_I2C_CH_MasterStop(i2c->i2c);
          while ((XMC_I2C_CH_GetStatusFlag(i2c->i2c) & XMC_I2C_CH_STATUS_FLAG_TRANSMIT_SHIFT_INDICATION) == 0U)
          ;
    Regards,
    Jesus
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the suggested solution does not work for me. In case no slave holds down SDA I can see the clock toggles. But if a slave holds SDA, the clock is not toggled even once and the code remains in the first loop waiting for XMC_I2C_CH_STATUS_FLAG_TRANSMIT_SHIFT_INDICATION for ever.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Hi,

I cannot check right now, but maybe you could try:

Code:

XMC_I2C_CH_SetInputSource(i2c->i2c, XMC_I2C_CH_INPUT_SDA, USIC_INPUT_ALWAYS_1);

XMC_I2C_CH_MasterStart(i2c->i2c, 0xff, XMC_I2C_CH_CMD_READ);
          ;

XMC_I2C_CH_MasterStop(i2c->i2c);
          ;

XMC_I2C_CH_SetInputSource(i2c->i2c, XMC_I2C_CH_INPUT_SDA, i2c->sda_pin_input);
    Regards,
    Jesus
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Hi,

I have being trying it out and finally you need to do something like

Code:
      XMC_GPIO_SetMode(SDA_PIN, XMC_GPIO_MODE_INPUT_TRISTATE);
      XMC_I2C_CH_SetInputSource(I2C_CHANNEL, XMC_I2C_CH_INPUT_SDA1, USIC0_C0_DX3_DOUT0);

do
      {
        XMC_I2C_CH_SetInputSource(I2C_CHANNEL, XMC_I2C_CH_INPUT_SDA, USIC0_C0_DX0_DX3INS);

XMC_I2C_CH_ClearStatusFlag(I2C_CHANNEL, XMC_I2C_CH_STATUS_FLAG_TRANSMIT_SHIFT_INDICATION);
        XMC_I2C_CH_MasterStart(I2C_CHANNEL, 0xff, XMC_I2C_CH_CMD_READ);
        while ((XMC_I2C_CH_GetStatusFlag(I2C_CHANNEL) & XMC_I2C_CH_STATUS_FLAG_TRANSMIT_SHIFT_INDICATION) == 0U);

// Not Acknowledge software recovery since operating in Loop Back Mode
        XMC_USIC_CH_TXFIFO_Flush(I2C_CHANNEL);
        XMC_USIC_CH_TXFIFO_Flush(I2C_CHANNEL);
        XMC_USIC_CH_SetTransmitBufferStatus(I2C_CHANNEL, XMC_USIC_CH_TBUF_STATUS_SET_IDLE);
        XMC_I2C_CH_ClearStatusFlag(I2C_CHANNEL, 0x1ffff);

XMC_I2C_CH_SetInputSource(I2C_CHANNEL, XMC_I2C_CH_INPUT_SDA, USIC0_C0_DX0_P2_1);
      }
      while (XMC_GPIO_GetInput(SDA_PIN) == 0);

I just implemented a solution using the GPIO interface before configuring the I2C interface. Thanks anyway for the pure-I2C-interface-solution you just provided.

+ Reply to Thread