XMC4500 debugging problem

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User10696
Level 4
Level 4
First solution authored
I have got 2 boards, both with external SDRAM. One is the Infineon CPU_45B-V1 evaluation board and one is our own design. Both board are showing the same problem during debugging.

My test program uses printf to send some text to the output via the ITM redirection. If the code runs from internal FLASH the output can be seen in the debugger serial viewer window, but if the code is configured to run from the external SDRAM, no output is visible.

Looking at the pinout I can see that the TDI (Port 0.7) is also used as the EBU D6 signal and the TDO (Port 2.1) is used as the EBU AD21. Therefore I am no that surprised that it does not work!

Can you confirm that it is not possible to use the ITM when external RAM is connected? This would seem to be a major design error in the pinout if this is the case. Or do I just need to change something in the configuration?

We need to use the external RAM and the ITM at the same time.
0 Likes
1 Reply
jferreira
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

Using the SDRAM interface of the EBU and the ITM is not possible at the same time as you discovered.
You could use the 16bit muxed mode of the EBU and the ADV signal to drive an external latch to interface an PSRAM.
This will require AD[15:0] / A[23:16], but would keep AD[31:16] free. See USERCON.

Regards,
Jesus
0 Likes