infineon4engi@twitter infineon4engineers infineon@linkedin infineon@youtube
twitter Facebook Linkedin Youtube

Banner_DigitalMotorController Banner_IMM100_Series Banner_IMC100Series Banner_IRMCSeries Banner_iMotionApplicationKit

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IMC101T Low Speed Performance

New Member New Member SBitney is on a distinguished road

IMC101T Low Speed Performance

Hi,

Iím trying to develop a motor controller that can drive a particular BLDC motor between 0 and 300RPM using an IMC101T.
    Iím getting good results at the higher speeds, but Iím having real troubles at the low speeds

At speeds below 25RPM Iím either getting very jerky movement, but with minimal torque, or just twitching and no rotation. Iíve seen the same motor running at these very slow speeds, so I know the motors themselves can handle it.

I had assumed this was due to flux angle estimation, but Iíve since moved to using hall sensors and the performance is the same.

Iíve had some better luck voltage control mode instead of speed control, but that has its only problems.
    Mainly that the Vd register seems to be limited to 102V, so I canít get to max speed, only to about half, and that Iíve so far been unable to find a way to reverse the motor direction in voltage control mode.

I have very little experience or expertise in motor control, so there might be something obvious that Iím missing.

Another problem with the voltage control mode is how hard it's driving the motor.
    Things start getting pretty warm under voltage control, where as under speed control they didn't get warm at all, not even under a modest load.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert
    Casey is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SBitney View Post
    Another problem with the voltage control mode is how hard it's driving the motor.
    Things start getting pretty warm under voltage control, where as under speed control they didn't get warm at all, not even under a modest load.
    Hello,
    Have you checked out the motor tuning guide in the Software Reference Manual (last section)?
    I would say this a good first step, you should check your current sensing.
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The tuning guide wasnít that useful as it seems to be mostly focused on single shunt arrangements, but it did point me in the right direction.

I increased the shunt resistances to try and increase the signal up away from the noise, and now Iíve getting stable speeds down to around 10RPM.

However, Iím still getting no torque at these low speeds, and any force on the motor will cause it to stall.
    Is there any way increase the power at low speeds?

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided ďas isď. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.