GaN HEMT - IGOT60R070D1 NC pad connection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19220
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked
Hi,

Is it ok to connect NC pads to either of Drain, Source terminals? In the layout, due to the NC pins being adjacent to the Drain pins, the drain copper pour is shaped weirdly and this limits the number of vias I can place on it.
Connecting NC pads with Drain would give me a nice rectangular pour which will make routing easier and more vias can be added for higher current capability.
Also, will connecting NC pads with Drain/Source cause emissions? Or affect the package working internally?
0 Likes
1 Solution
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Community.

The NC pads of the package are not connected to the die inside the package.
You can refer to chapter 1.5 of the following app note:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Board_Assembly_Recommendations-Gullwing-Package-v05_00-EN.pdf...

Example:

nctodrain.png

Therefore, the drain pads can be connected to the NC pads.
Source pads however, should not be connected to the NC pads, as this creates creepage issues.

Best regards,
Pablo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
User13282
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted
The NC pads are not bonded internally to the die. You may connect the NC pins to the drain pins.
0 Likes
User19220
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked
It'll be extremely helpful and useful of you guys if you give a timely reply. Replying after 2 months doesn't even make sense and I don't think you really have to be in your office to reply
0 Likes
Pablo_EG
First question asked 250 sign-ins 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Infineon Community.

The NC pads of the package are not connected to the die inside the package.
You can refer to chapter 1.5 of the following app note:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Board_Assembly_Recommendations-Gullwing-Package-v05_00-EN.pdf...

Example:

nctodrain.png

Therefore, the drain pads can be connected to the NC pads.
Source pads however, should not be connected to the NC pads, as this creates creepage issues.

Best regards,
Pablo

0 Likes