infineon4engi@twitter infineon@linkedin infineon4engineers infineon@youtube
twitter Facebook Linkedin Youtube

Banner_DigitalMotorController Banner_IMM100_Series Banner_IMC100Series Banner_IRMCSeries Banner_iMotionApplicationKit

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: imm101T-046 UART not responding

Beginner Beginner mngr0 is on a distinguished road

imm101T-046 UART not responding

Hello,

I want to use the UART communicattion of the IMM101T-046 on the EVAL-IMM101T-046 board R1.0, but i am having issues.
    In the wizard file I configured the IMM101T to be controlled via UART, speed 57600 BAUD.

Then I reffered to this: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infine...6b7bfb7c04786d

which describe the serial communication.

I connected to the board, removing the two resistors R96 and R97 that connect to the on board debugger. But I cannot get a reply.
    I connected a logic analyzer to check if it was an issue on my device. it is not. attached images shows the communication and the missing reply.
    As you can see, there are 8 bytes, with the first one as 0x01 to indicate a read of a certain parameter and the last two being a error check.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LogicAnalyzerFocus (5).png
Views:	3
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	4780
    (I wanted to show also the configuration, but I was forced to reduce the size of the image, trust me, it is 57600baud)

here is my lib (I removed all the hardware specific part) infineonlib.zip

I tried to sniff the communication with the debugger and I found it completely different from what documented.
    Here is what I found: imm101t_uart_debugger.zip
    I made it with Pulseview, you should be able to open it. at least with pulseview wich is free to download.
    I notice that the communication is 115200 BAUD even if I configured it on 57600.

Later I found more documentation, that I am attaching, since I cannot rememeber where I found it.
    Infineon_iMOTION_2_0_Device_Programming_ApplicationNotes_v01_01.pdf

It describes the boot phase, and it resembles what the debugger do, but only partially and vaguely.
    It is mentioned that the first messages are at 115200, and when you put the imm101T in the right state it goes to the accorded speed.
    But it stops responding me before I can reach that state.
    I tried to mimick the debugger, and it replies, so it is not a connection issue.
    But this communication is not documented, and the documented one does not work.

At this point I am out of ideas. Can you please help me?

Kind regards
    Marco Negrini

I

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert
    Casey is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mngr0 View Post
    Hello,

I want to use the UART communicattion of the IMM101T-046 on the EVAL-IMM101T-046 board R1.0, but i am having issues.
    In the wizard file I configured the IMM101T to be controlled via UART, speed 57600 BAUD.

Then I reffered to this: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infine...6b7bfb7c04786d

which describe the serial communication.

I connected to the board, removing the two resistors R96 and R97 that connect to the on board debugger. But I cannot get a reply.
    I connected a logic analyzer to check if it was an issue on my device. it is not. attached images shows the communication and the missing reply.
    As you can see, there are 8 bytes, with the first one as 0x01 to indicate a read of a certain parameter and the last two being a error check.

Attachment 4780
    (I wanted to show also the configuration, but I was forced to reduce the size of the image, trust me, it is 57600baud)

here is my lib (I removed all the hardware specific part) Attachment 4781

I tried to sniff the communication with the debugger and I found it completely different from what documented.
    Here is what I found: Attachment 4782
    I made it with Pulseview, you should be able to open it. at least with pulseview wich is free to download.
    I notice that the communication is 115200 BAUD even if I configured it on 57600.

Later I found more documentation, that I am attaching, since I cannot rememeber where I found it.
    Attachment 4783

It describes the boot phase, and it resembles what the debugger do, but only partially and vaguely.
    It is mentioned that the first messages are at 115200, and when you put the imm101T in the right state it goes to the accorded speed.
    But it stops responding me before I can reach that state.
    I tried to mimick the debugger, and it replies, so it is not a connection issue.
    But this communication is not documented, and the documented one does not work.

At this point I am out of ideas. Can you please help me?

Kind regards
    Marco Negrini

I

Hi Marco,
    You are referring to an older document. Please reference this: SRM V1.3 but it will not help your issue.

A bug has been found with MCEWizard for IMM configuration using user uart and this is your problem. The 'InterfaceConf0' is set to the incorrect value when you select uart protocol. We are working to fix this as quick as possible but in the meantime you will need to open the text file generated by MCEWizard and change the value of "InterfaceConf0" to 1. This should solve your issue. Please try.
    No need to remove R96 and R97 since there is only one uart and it is the same uart that is configured to run user uart protocol
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Thank you for the guidance, Casey.
    I have opened the generated txt file, and found the InterfaceConf0 value, which now is 7.
    I will try in next days setting its value to 1.

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert
    Thank you for the guidance, Casey.
    I have opened the generated txt file, and found the InterfaceConf0 value, which now is 7.
    I will try in next days setting its value to 1.
    If this does not work, please let me know so I can assist you.
    Thanks,
    Casey
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

Hello Casey,

After I program with "InterfaceConf0" to 1 I can no longer connect to the evaluation board.
    It gives me an errore about "incorrect mode" when it finish programmation.

this is the file with my edit
    uart.txt

To be sure I did this on 2 eval board. same result.

This is the wizard file.

gira_v3_uart_control.zip

I had to zip it to upload it.

I noticed the field 19 that is empty, but nothing change even if I give it a value. No changes for any of the 2 possible value.

I mean, no changes in the produced txt file.

I have a XMC Link v1.1, on which is written XMC4200.
    Can it be used to reprogram the eval-imm101t?

So, recap of today:

I tried to set the interfaceConf0 to 1 in the IMM101T, now it is unable to connect to MCEDesigner.
    You can find reference files in the previous comments.

Question 1) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I tried to use the UART in a IMC102T. Unluckily I decided to use UART0. (57600 BAUD).
    Another board unable to communicate, this time I screenshotted the error

Name:	errore.PNG
Views:	0
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	4826

Question 2) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I have a XMC-Link here, I tried to use it to connect a new IMM101T to the designer. I connected in avy possible sane way, none of them worked.

Question 3) Does it have any chance to work? Or I am completely out of road?

I have seen now the iMotion Link.

Question 4) How is it different from the XMC-Link? Can it fix this problem?
    If it is the case I will buy it.

Kind regards,
    Marco Negrini

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert
    So, recap of today:

I tried to set the interfaceConf0 to 1 in the IMM101T, now it is unable to connect to MCEDesigner.
    You can find reference files in the previous comments.

Question 1) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I tried to use the UART in a IMC102T. Unluckily I decided to use UART0. (57600 BAUD).
    Another board unable to communicate, this time I screenshotted the error
    Attachment 4826

Question 2) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I have a XMC-Link here, I tried to use it to connect a new IMM101T to the designer. I connected in avy possible sane way, none of them worked.

Question 3) Does it have any chance to work? Or I am completely out of road?

I have seen now the iMotion Link.

Question 4) How is it different from the XMC-Link? Can it fix this problem?
    If it is the case I will buy it.

Kind regards,
    Marco Negrini
    Hi Marco,

Question 1) what did I do? How can I fix it?(IMM101T)

I have received updated instructions for Eval-IMM101T. You actually need to change two values in the .txt parameter file:
    To switch to user uart protocol,
    InterfaceConf0 = 1
    SysTaskConfig = 0
    To switch back to MCEDesigner protocol,
    InterfaceConf0 = 7
    SysTaskConfig = 1
    I have updated your file you shared (see attached)uart_updated.txt
    No problem with MCEDesigner not connecting, you can still reprogram you will just need to follow the steps I share below in question 2. They can be applied to both the IMM101T and IMC102T, just make sure you use the correct firmware and parameter files.

Question 2) what did I do? How can I fix it?(IMC102T)

When you switch to User UART protocol, you will receive this error. The device has actually been programmed and it is in application mode, its just that MCEDesigner no longer recognizes it because now you would send command through user UART uart protocal. No problem with switching back to MCEDesigner protocol you would just need to create the new parameter text file specifying it and then re-program. Even though MCEDesigner states device is not connected (COMx down) you can still program. Theres a trick you need to do though by following the steps below:
    1. Open MCEDesigner v2.3
    2. Select file> open latest version of MCEDesigner configuration file (.IRC) available within firmware package. Link to download: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/prod...motion/#!tools
    3. Communication error will appear: “MCEDesigner cannot connect to target device using Port COMx”
    a. If you know this is the correct communication port, select cancel to ignore error
    b. If you are unsure this is correct communication port, follow steps below:
    i. Open Device Manager on Windows system
    ii. Open ports dropdown to see active ports.
    iii. Unplug and re-plug in USB connection to Eval-M1-101T
    iv. One COM port will disappear and reappear with your connection. This is the COM port you should select in MCEDesigner
    v. In MCEDesigner, select cancel to ignore error, then open Preference> Connection
    vi. Select COM port that you just determined is correct and click “OK”
    vii. Once communication appear, ignore by selecting “Cancel”.
    4. In toolbar, select Tools> Programmer
    5. Select “Program Firmware and Parameters” in Operation options
    6. Select parameter .txt file generated from the MCEWizard configuration file I shared (either updated text file I shared to fix the user UART communcation for IMM101T or new generated text file to switch back to MCEDesigner protocal for IMC102T case)
    7. Select firmware (.ldf) file that accompanies the MCEDesigner Configuration file (.IRC) in the latest version of the software package you downloaded.
    8. DO NOT YET PROGRAM. While keeping USB connection from computer to control board, turn off power to control board by unplugging the power evaluation board or removing 3.3V to IC
    9. Wait for IC to fully power down
    10. When ready, click “program” in MCEDesigner THEN immediately provide 3.3V to IC through test pin or by plugging in power evaluation board.
    a. If an errors appears “Programming firmware and parameters file failed! Fail to disconnect from port!” then most likely one of two issues occurred:
    i. IC did not fully turn off. Need to unplug for longer amount of time
    ii. IC did not program fast enough. Need to select “Program” in MCEDesigner quicker
    10. Window will pop up “Programming firmware and parameters file successful!” Device can now be used as normal if set back to MCEDesigner protocol. If, programmed for user uart protocal, you will recieve "mode is not in application" like you did previously.
    (these steps did not indent correctly when copied to forums, just follow the numbers)

Q3-4

I personally have never used XMC-link but it does have virtual com port feature so it should work. iMOTION-link though includes an isolated power supply as an added benefit. If you are using Eval boards, you do not need iMOTION link because the isolation debug is integrated.

Thank you casey.

I report the things I do, so i don't forget anything.

I decided to start with the IMM101T and I decided I wanted to come back to a working state of the connection.
    I followed your instruction, and programmed. I found that it is better to give power supply to the eval board while the designer says "connecting to the device".

here are two images that let me say it worked.

Name:	confirm.PNG
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	4830

Name:	seemwork.PNG
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	4831

I can read the registers, so I feel always more confident.

To check if it really worked I try to disconnect and reconnect, or reprogram (normal operations).
    I get this error:

Name:	uhm.PNG
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	4833

I program again (following your steps) and giving more attention to full discharge. everything seems back to normal now.
    Thank you Casey, now I move on to the rest.
    ?????? ?????? errore.PNG‎  
    Last edited by mngr0; Today at 02:03 AM. Reason: picked wrong image

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.