imm101T-046 UART not responding

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First question asked
Hello,

I want to use the UART communicattion of the IMM101T-046 on the EVAL-IMM101T-046 board R1.0, but i am having issues.
In the wizard file I configured the IMM101T to be controlled via UART, speed 57600 BAUD.

Then I reffered to this: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-MCESW-RM-UserManual-v01_02-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d4626b2d8e69016b...

which describe the serial communication.

I connected to the board, removing the two resistors R96 and R97 that connect to the on board debugger. But I cannot get a reply.
I connected a logic analyzer to check if it was an issue on my device. it is not. attached images shows the communication and the missing reply.
As you can see, there are 8 bytes, with the first one as 0x01 to indicate a read of a certain parameter and the last two being a error check.

4329.attach
(I wanted to show also the configuration, but I was forced to reduce the size of the image, trust me, it is 57600baud)

here is my lib (I removed all the hardware specific part)

I tried to sniff the communication with the debugger and I found it completely different from what documented.
Here is what I found:
I made it with Pulseview, you should be able to open it. at least with pulseview wich is free to download.
I notice that the communication is 115200 BAUD even if I configured it on 57600.

Later I found more documentation, that I am attaching, since I cannot rememeber where I found it.

It describes the boot phase, and it resembles what the debugger do, but only partially and vaguely.
It is mentioned that the first messages are at 115200, and when you put the imm101T in the right state it goes to the accorded speed.
But it stops responding me before I can reach that state.
I tried to mimick the debugger, and it replies, so it is not a connection issue.
But this communication is not documented, and the documented one does not work.

At this point I am out of ideas. Can you please help me?

Kind regards
Marco Negrini

I
0 Likes
20 Replies
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
mngr0 wrote:
Hello,

I want to use the UART communicattion of the IMM101T-046 on the EVAL-IMM101T-046 board R1.0, but i am having issues.
In the wizard file I configured the IMM101T to be controlled via UART, speed 57600 BAUD.

Then I reffered to this: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-MCESW-RM-UserManual-v01_02-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d4626b2d8e69016b...

which describe the serial communication.

I connected to the board, removing the two resistors R96 and R97 that connect to the on board debugger. But I cannot get a reply.
I connected a logic analyzer to check if it was an issue on my device. it is not. attached images shows the communication and the missing reply.
As you can see, there are 8 bytes, with the first one as 0x01 to indicate a read of a certain parameter and the last two being a error check.

4329.attach
(I wanted to show also the configuration, but I was forced to reduce the size of the image, trust me, it is 57600baud)

here is my lib (I removed all the hardware specific part)

I tried to sniff the communication with the debugger and I found it completely different from what documented.
Here is what I found:
I made it with Pulseview, you should be able to open it. at least with pulseview wich is free to download.
I notice that the communication is 115200 BAUD even if I configured it on 57600.

Later I found more documentation, that I am attaching, since I cannot rememeber where I found it.

It describes the boot phase, and it resembles what the debugger do, but only partially and vaguely.
It is mentioned that the first messages are at 115200, and when you put the imm101T in the right state it goes to the accorded speed.
But it stops responding me before I can reach that state.
I tried to mimick the debugger, and it replies, so it is not a connection issue.
But this communication is not documented, and the documented one does not work.

At this point I am out of ideas. Can you please help me?

Kind regards
Marco Negrini

I

Hi Marco,
You are referring to an older document. Please reference this: SRM V1.3 but it will not help your issue.

A bug has been found with MCEWizard for IMM configuration using user uart and this is your problem. The 'InterfaceConf0' is set to the incorrect value when you select uart protocol. We are working to fix this as quick as possible but in the meantime you will need to open the text file generated by MCEWizard and change the value of "InterfaceConf0" to 1. This should solve your issue. Please try.
No need to remove R96 and R97 since there is only one uart and it is the same uart that is configured to run user uart protocol
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Thank you for the guidance, Casey.
I have opened the generated txt file, and found the InterfaceConf0 value, which now is 7.
I will try in next days setting its value to 1.
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
mngr0 wrote:
Thank you for the guidance, Casey.
I have opened the generated txt file, and found the InterfaceConf0 value, which now is 7.
I will try in next days setting its value to 1.

If this does not work, please let me know so I can assist you.
Thanks,
Casey
0 Likes
lock attach
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Hello Casey,

After I program with "InterfaceConf0" to 1 I can no longer connect to the evaluation board.
It gives me an errore about "incorrect mode" when it finish programmation.

this is the file with my edit

To be sure I did this on 2 eval board. same result.
0 Likes
lock attach
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
This is the wizard file.

I had to zip it to upload it.

I noticed the field 19 that is empty, but nothing change even if I give it a value. No changes for any of the 2 possible value.

I mean, no changes in the produced txt file.
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
I have a XMC Link v1.1, on which is written XMC4200.
Can it be used to reprogram the eval-imm101t?
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
So, recap of today:

I tried to set the interfaceConf0 to 1 in the IMM101T, now it is unable to connect to MCEDesigner.
You can find reference files in the previous comments.

Question 1) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I tried to use the UART in a IMC102T. Unluckily I decided to use UART0. (57600 BAUD).
Another board unable to communicate, this time I screenshotted the error
4279.attach

Question 2) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I have a XMC-Link here, I tried to use it to connect a new IMM101T to the designer. I connected in avy possible sane way, none of them worked.

Question 3) Does it have any chance to work? Or I am completely out of road?

I have seen now the iMotion Link.

Question 4) How is it different from the XMC-Link? Can it fix this problem?
If it is the case I will buy it.

Kind regards,
Marco Negrini
0 Likes
lock attach
Casey
Employee
Employee
mngr0 wrote:
So, recap of today:

I tried to set the interfaceConf0 to 1 in the IMM101T, now it is unable to connect to MCEDesigner.
You can find reference files in the previous comments.

Question 1) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I tried to use the UART in a IMC102T. Unluckily I decided to use UART0. (57600 BAUD).
Another board unable to communicate, this time I screenshotted the error
4379.attach

Question 2) what did I do? How can I fix it?

I have a XMC-Link here, I tried to use it to connect a new IMM101T to the designer. I connected in avy possible sane way, none of them worked.

Question 3) Does it have any chance to work? Or I am completely out of road?

I have seen now the iMotion Link.

Question 4) How is it different from the XMC-Link? Can it fix this problem?
If it is the case I will buy it.

Kind regards,
Marco Negrini

Hi Marco,

Question 1) what did I do? How can I fix it?(IMM101T)

I have received updated instructions for Eval-IMM101T. You actually need to change two values in the .txt parameter file:
To switch to user uart protocol,
InterfaceConf0 = 1
SysTaskConfig = 0
To switch back to MCEDesigner protocol,
InterfaceConf0 = 7
SysTaskConfig = 1
I have updated your file you shared (see attached)
No problem with MCEDesigner not connecting, you can still reprogram you will just need to follow the steps I share below in question 2. They can be applied to both the IMM101T and IMC102T, just make sure you use the correct firmware and parameter files.

Question 2) what did I do? How can I fix it?(IMC102T)

When you switch to User UART protocol, you will receive this error. The device has actually been programmed and it is in application mode, its just that MCEDesigner no longer recognizes it because now you would send command through user UART uart protocal. No problem with switching back to MCEDesigner protocol you would just need to create the new parameter text file specifying it and then re-program. Even though MCEDesigner states device is not connected (COMx down) you can still program. Theres a trick you need to do though by following the steps below:
1. Open MCEDesigner v2.3
2. Select file> open latest version of MCEDesigner configuration file (.IRC) available within firmware package. Link to download: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/motor-control-ics/digital-motor-controller-imotion/#!t...
3. Communication error will appear: “MCEDesigner cannot connect to target device using Port COMx”
a. If you know this is the correct communication port, select cancel to ignore error
b. If you are unsure this is correct communication port, follow steps below:
i. Open Device Manager on Windows system
ii. Open ports dropdown to see active ports.
iii. Unplug and re-plug in USB connection to Eval-M1-101T
iv. One COM port will disappear and reappear with your connection. This is the COM port you should select in MCEDesigner
v. In MCEDesigner, select cancel to ignore error, then open Preference> Connection
vi. Select COM port that you just determined is correct and click “OK”
vii. Once communication appear, ignore by selecting “Cancel”.
4. In toolbar, select Tools> Programmer
5. Select “Program Firmware and Parameters” in Operation options
6. Select parameter .txt file generated from the MCEWizard configuration file I shared (either updated text file I shared to fix the user UART communcation for IMM101T or new generated text file to switch back to MCEDesigner protocal for IMC102T case)
7. Select firmware (.ldf) file that accompanies the MCEDesigner Configuration file (.IRC) in the latest version of the software package you downloaded.
8. DO NOT YET PROGRAM. While keeping USB connection from computer to control board, turn off power to control board by unplugging the power evaluation board or removing 3.3V to IC
9. Wait for IC to fully power down
10. When ready, click “program” in MCEDesigner THEN immediately provide 3.3V to IC through test pin or by plugging in power evaluation board.
a. If an errors appears “Programming firmware and parameters file failed! Fail to disconnect from port!” then most likely one of two issues occurred:
i. IC did not fully turn off. Need to unplug for longer amount of time
ii. IC did not program fast enough. Need to select “Program” in MCEDesigner quicker
10. Window will pop up “Programming firmware and parameters file successful!” Device can now be used as normal if set back to MCEDesigner protocol. If, programmed for user uart protocal, you will recieve "mode is not in application" like you did previously.
(these steps did not indent correctly when copied to forums, just follow the numbers)

Q3-4

I personally have never used XMC-link but it does have virtual com port feature so it should work. iMOTION-link though includes an isolated power supply as an added benefit. If you are using Eval boards, you do not need iMOTION link because the isolation debug is integrated.
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Thank you casey.

I report the things I do, so i don't forget anything.

I decided to start with the IMM101T and I decided I wanted to come back to a working state of the connection.
I followed your instruction, and programmed. I found that it is better to give power supply to the eval board while the designer says "connecting to the device".

here are two images that let me say it worked.

4384.attach
4479.attach

I can read the registers, so I feel always more confident.

To check if it really worked I try to disconnect and reconnect, or reprogram (normal operations).
I get this error:

4480.attach

I program again (following your steps) and giving more attention to full discharge. everything seems back to normal now.
Thank you Casey, now I move on to the rest.
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Next I tested the UART communication, from my microcontroller.

Here you can see my setup:

4479.attach

I have an external power supply, grounds in common, and a logic analyzer to check what is going on(you can see the red pins).

According to chapter 2.3 of SRM V1.3, this is a valid data frame, that should be interpreted as "read status of slave with address 1" with the necessary checksum.

01 00 00 00 00 00 ff ff

My UART configuration is
-no parity
-8 bits
-one stop bit
-57600 BAUD

What I see with the logic analyzer is that RX and TX lines are always high.
I have use the same logic analyzer to look at the communication with the on board debugger, with success, so I think it is not preventing the communication in any way.

I swapped rx and tx, to be sure, same result.
If I remove power supply to the IMM101T I start seeing the communication.
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
I rescued the IMC102T too. I noticed that I have to supply power well after clickng "program", I mean, nearly 2 seconds.

I connected my microntroller, with the logic analyzer, with no modification to the firmware.
I found both rx and tx always high. As before only when imc102T is powered.

I swapped rx and tx and I found a reply from the logic analyzer!!

4385.attach

Now I can move on and implement a library to interfacing my controller to infineon products.

The only part that is missing is the UART with IMM101T.
0 Likes
lock attach
Casey
Employee
Employee
mngr0 wrote:
I rescued the IMC102T too. I noticed that I have to supply power well after clickng "program", I mean, nearly 2 seconds.

I connected my microntroller, with the logic analyzer, with no modification to the firmware.
I found both rx and tx always high. As before only when imc102T is powered.

I swapped rx and tx and I found a reply from the logic analyzer!!

4480.attach

Now I can move on and implement a library to interfacing my controller to infineon products.

The only part that is missing is the UART with IMM101T.

Hello,
Please try attached parameter file instead. I believe I made a mistake when updating
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Thank you Casey, I tried with same result.

MCE Wizard and Designer are the only way to interface with the IMM101T?

When I will have my PCB with the IMM how should I interface with it?

Kind Regards,
Marco Negrini
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
mngr0 wrote:
Thank you Casey, I tried with same result.

MCE Wizard and Designer are the only way to interface with the IMM101T?

When I will have my PCB with the IMM how should I interface with it?

Kind Regards,
Marco Negrini

Hi MArco,
What exactly is happening with IMM101T? It's still just not communicating through UART protocol even after programming with the new text file I provided? MCEDesigner is the only application to interface but you can design your own app on PC as long as the MCE communication protocol is followed. Most likely not worth the effort though.
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Hello Casey,

Looking with a logic analyzer I can see that both lines stays high. My microcontroller is not able to pull down its TX. I tryed swapping rx and tx every time, same effect.
The same micro is able to communicate with the IMC102T.

Here I am not in the office, so I am not able to give you picture-proof of that. will do it tomorrow
0 Likes
User15043
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First question asked First reply posted
Hi Macro,
Have you tried with 115200 bps? I tried communicate UART with IMM101T in 57600 bps and it also doesnt work. However with 115200 bps, it's ok.
I found that in https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-MCESW-RM-UserManual-v01_03-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d462719b59230171...
the sw doesnt support baudrate 57600 bps
4406.attach
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Hello Huyrua and Casey,

> "sw doesnt support baudrate 57600 bps"

It is reported 67500 as a speed, which is not standard, I believe this is a typo.
Anyway, I will stick to 115200 from now on, to be sure.

> "No need to remove R96 and R97 since there is only one uart and it is the same uart that is configured to run user uart protocol " (from May 28)

The isolator was preventing me from pulling down the TX line. R96 and R97 must be removed in order to have a viable uart with the IMM101T.

Now what I can see from the logic analyzer is what follows:

4407.attach

My UART configuration is
-115200 BAUD
-no parity
-8 bits
-one stop bit
-lsb first

I have uploaded the last txt file provided by Casey, with firmware version 1.03.
0 Likes
User15043
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted First question asked First reply posted
The config file txt still uses 57600 bps. You should change UART1_Baudrate 9609 (115200 bps)
0 Likes
User19585
Level 2
Level 2
Thank you huyrua, now it works.

I was looking for the same thing, I was trying with the wrong value.

Thank you again, Casey and huyrua!! 🙂
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
mngr0 wrote:
Thank you huyrua, now it works.

I was looking for the same thing, I was trying with the wrong value.

Thank you again, Casey and huyrua!! 🙂

Great to hear! Thanks for help solving Huyrua!
0 Likes