debugger crashing

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Does anyone else have problems with the debugger frequently crashing?

The program that is crashing is taskingdebugger.exe, and seems to be in libcifcam_1.dll. Almost always the DAVE IDE also crashes immediately after the dialog reporting the debugger crash.

I've seen it happen in several circumstances: When trying to pause, when hitting a breakpoint, when resuming after a pause/breakpoint.
0 Likes
14 Replies
Not applicable
Hi Jeff,

Did you face this problem on all DAVE projects (including example projects) or just some particular projects?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
It has happened on more than one project. I have not been running example projects very much, but I have seen it on some very simple projects. Including one that does no I/O at all (it is purely a test of data structures and manipulations we need to do). Trying to set breakpoints and pausing/resuming to examine those data manipulations caused frequent crashes.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jeff,

Would you mind to share your projects so that we can replicate the issue?

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Not applicable
This simple example project was motivated by a crash I experienced while working on a real project.

The big problem is that something is flaky. It does not always work, and it does not always crash. While running the attached example project, I had set and cleared breakpoints, paused and stepped in/over/out and resumed several times. Then suddenly at some point during these exercises, I attempted to step over the RTC001_Clock_GetTime() call (see highlights in screenshot) and the crash seen in the screenshot occurred.

379.attach

Thanks for your attention.
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jeff,

You need to enable RTC module (via RTC001_Enable()) 1st before calling "RTC001_Clock_GetTime()" API.
You may refer to "DAVE TIP of the day: What you need to do when use RTC API to get current time?" for the details.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Thanks.

However, examining the code suggests that RTC001_lInit() does everything that RTC001_Enable() does.

Furthermore, the RTC001_Clock_GetTime() is working correctly in this test.

And in any case, none of this should cause the debugger itself to crash. My program could crash, but not the debugger (which should inform me of my program crashing).
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi Jeff,

The debugger issue has been forwarded, will keep you being updated. Thanks.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
I am also experiencing numerous debugger crashes. Everything is updated to the most recent version:

BMI 1.0.2.201308131243 com.ifx.davex.bmi.feature.feature.group Infineon Technologies
DAVE3 1.0.0.201308121426 com.ifx.davex.branding.dave_expert null
DAVE3 CE 1.0.68.201404090947 com.ifx.davex.ms.feature.feature.group Infineon Technologies
DAVE3 IDE 1.0.56.201405141340 com.ifx.dave.platfrom.feature.feature.group Infineon Technologies
DAVE3 Library Manager 1.0.56.201405141340 com.ifx.dave.libmanagerfeature.feature.group Infineon Technologies
DAVE3 MBS XMC4000 1.0.56.201405141340 com.dave.mbs.xmc4000.feature.feature.group Altium
DAVE3 Product Branding 1.0.68.201405231026 com.ifx.davex.branding.feature.feature.group Infineon Technologies
IFX GDB Debug 1.0.2.201403261508 com.ifx.davex.gdb.debugger.feature.feature.group Infineon Technologies
RXTX End-User Runtime 2.1.7.4_v20071016-7B57e7UAXMAAqGAGf gnu.io.rxtx.feature.group RXTX.org
RXTX Extender SDK 2.1.7.4_v20071016-417C7DP1Bh_eEaQJBrHBHg gnu.io.rxtx.sdk.feature.group RXTX.org
TASKING Debugger for DAVE3 1.44.1.3 com.tasking.dave.feature.group Altium
xSPY 1.1.6.201307151519 com.infineon.xspy.feature.feature.group Infineon Technology

I have yet to see a dialog box exclaiming that a crash has occurred. The whole program either locks up or it just disappears. This has happened at least ten times just today and is becoming quite tedious.
This debugger really sucks...
0 Likes
Not applicable
Would you try to switch to GDB or iSystem debugger?
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

The developer has been informed and you will be notified once fixed.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Zain,

I would switch to anything that works. Is there an interface for GDB? Never heard of iSystem. Where would I find directions and documentation? I'm new to Infineon and Eclipse...
0 Likes
Not applicable
Hi,

You may try to upgrade the Segger J-Link to v4.9e.
You can find the iSystem in DAVE Support Portal.

Best regards,
Sophia
0 Likes
Not applicable
Sophia,

I have upgraded Segger J-Link. So far today, it has only crashed once. The whole program (DAVE3) became unresponsive and I had to kill it with Task Manager.
No luck installing iSystem... see my other thread (to which there have been no responses).
0 Likes
Not applicable
My biggest gripe with the Segger debugger, which maybe isn't a debugger issue at all, is the woefully inadequate interface - especially when it comes to displaying variables...
0 Likes