Tip: Verifying USB connectivty-certain Eval Boards (e.g. EVAL-M1-101T) Segger J-Link

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked
Need a 2nd opinion of whether aps like MCEDesigner are actually communicating over USB????
The USB to serial converter IC is an XMC4200 running Seggers's software

Go to
www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/

Download and install: J-Link Software and Documentation Package

This installs a bunch of command line utilities...so you have to search for them in your directory.

Mine installed to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink\JLink.exe

Inside the installation directory is a nice test ap called "J-link Commander.exe" to run. (Jlink.exe)

Once you run that, it'll automatically connect and show you the firmware version in the XMC4200 I.C.

Obviously If it does that, it both sent and received over USB to the XMC4200 I.C.

If you want it'll also allow you to update the firmware.

D.

Humor time on 2nd Opinion:

My psychiatrist told me I’m going crazy. I told him, “If you don’t mind, I’d like a second opinion.” He said, “All right. You’re ugly too!”
--Rodney Dangerfield
0 Likes
3 Replies
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
dwissel wrote:
Need a 2nd opinion of whether aps like MCEDesigner are actually communicating over USB????
The USB to serial converter IC is an XMC4200 running Seggers's software

Go to
www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/

Download and install: J-Link Software and Documentation Package

This installs a bunch of command line utilities...so you have to search for them in your directory.

Mine installed to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLink\JLink.exe

Inside the installation directory is a nice test ap called "J-link Commander.exe" to run. (Jlink.exe)

Once you run that, it'll automatically connect and show you the firmware version in the XMC4200 I.C.

Obviously If it does that, it both sent and received over USB to the XMC4200 I.C.

If you want it'll also allow you to update the firmware.

D.

Humor time on 2nd Opinion:

My psychiatrist told me I’m going crazy. I told him, “If you don’t mind, I’d like a second opinion.” He said, “All right. You’re ugly too!”
--Rodney Dangerfield

Hi Dwissel,
In your other forum question, you were not able to get the device to connect in MCEDesigner after it failed to program because the IC is now in SBSL mode (still working on getting the steps to program with MCEDesigner when it does not connect btw). With your method using segger, where you able to program the firmware then get the device to connect to MCEDesigner?
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
This is a different oddity.

NO, it did not solve that problem--on eval boards that were programmed off MCEdesigner v2.3, it still shows "cannot connect target device." (Even appears using earlier MCEdesigner versions after corrupted by v2.3 programming)
The firmware I'm referring to above is in the 4200 USB-to-UART converter IC.

The "4200 chip" firmware UPDATE above, solved another oddity though.
Background: I put a scope on the IMT101T-T038 side of the board lines of RXD0 and TXD0 to monitor traffic. (This is after the 4200 USB-to-UART converter IC)
I wanted to determine IF the IMT part was ACTUALLY (a) being sent data from MCEdesigner ap and (b) what response was coming back from the IMT part..
I started with observing the scope traffic when MCEdesigner tries to first connect. For example (after making sure the correct port), hitting "preferences, connection, Ok."....and observing on the scope the traffic.
Naturally as this eval board still exhibits the problem, I'd get the " ..cannot connect to target error.
So I'd repeat the steps.

I noticed that repeating the steps beyond about 4 tries resulted in NOTHING sent to the IMT part.....hmmmmm. The ap showed nothing different even down to the error that would pop up.
Unplug/replug the USB and it'd be back to sending. Randomly after number of tries, it'd simply stop sending my connection requests...sometimes 3 tries, sometimes 8, etc.

Updating the 4200 USB-to UART chip Segger firmware solved this oddity.
At least it sends commands from MCEdesigner to the IMT part correctly whereas before repeating the initial comm steps, would cause it to quit sending after awhile..
It still shows the "cannot connect target device error."
But at least I know now IMT part gets sent something all the time.

Thus I would do the steps in MCEdesigner of
"preferences, connection, Ok...cannot connect error " repeat …... NOTHING would appear as sent to the IMT part.
It would simply quit sending anything--even though nothing was different on the MCEdesigner
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
(SORRY: Ignore the last part beginning with sentence of "Thus I would do the steps..."...…...not sure why it added it.)

This is a different oddity.

NO, it did not solve that problem--on eval boards that were programmed off MCEdesigner v2.3, it still shows "cannot connect target device." (Even appears using earlier MCEdesigner versions after corrupted by v2.3 programming)
The firmware I'm referring to above is in the 4200 USB-to-UART converter IC.

The "4200 chip" firmware UPDATE above, solved another oddity though.
Background: I put a scope on the IMT101T-T038 side of the board lines of RXD0 and TXD0 to monitor traffic. (This is after the 4200 USB-to-UART converter IC)
I wanted to determine IF the IMT part was ACTUALLY (a) being sent data from MCEdesigner ap and (b) what response was coming back from the IMT part..
I started with observing the scope traffic when MCEdesigner tries to first connect. For example (after making sure the correct port), hitting "preferences, connection, Ok."....and observing on the scope the traffic.
Naturally as this eval board still exhibits the problem, I'd get the " ..cannot connect to target error.
So I'd repeat the steps.

I noticed that repeating the steps beyond about 4 tries resulted in NOTHING sent to the IMT part.....hmmmmm. The ap showed nothing different even down to the error that would pop up.
Unplug/replug the USB and it'd be back to sending. Randomly after number of tries, it'd simply stop sending my connection requests...sometimes 3 tries, sometimes 8, etc.

Updating the 4200 USB-to UART chip Segger firmware solved this oddity.
At least it sends commands from MCEdesigner to the IMT part correctly whereas before repeating the initial comm steps, would cause it to quit sending after awhile..
It still shows the "cannot connect target device error."
But at least I know now IMT part gets sent something all the time.
0 Likes