"MCE designer cannot connect" EVAL-M1-101T ..(did before)

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked
I've been using EVAL-M1-101T & EVAL-M1-CM610N3
I was able to use the MCEDESIGNER program just fine.
But one day the USB connector ripped-off the 101T board--just broke solder loose..
Pads were ok, so I re-soldered it.
ALL USB LEADS OK: I ohmed all 4 leads from the computer end of the USB, straight onto the EVAL-M1-101T board and to the USB D+ and D- resistors... and no shorts either. Power & ground OK too.

When I plug in the board under MCEDesigner "Tools", the 101T LED isolated green power lights, a new port appears under Designer "connection" tab --just like before. ( If I unplug the USB, that new port goes away. So that is the port.)
If I use that port via RETRY it shows Yellow "Com down" at first & changes to Com inactive and message window " MCEDESIGNER cannot connect to target device." But the blue COM LED lights (adjacent to power led) on isolated portion of 101T PCB.

On the non isolated portion of 101T board, the PGOUT & STATUS green and red leds are lit. Yes, that portion has 3.3vdc.-

I've tried this on several computers, same result.
yes, tried various ports.
Yes, I've tried it with EVAL-M1-CM610N3 board powered up-

I am using:
MCEdesigner Version 2.3.0.0
IMC101T-V1.03.01.irc
0 Likes
14 Replies
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
UPDATE:
When everything was working ok, I was using a previous version mcedesigner rather than v2.3. (Didn't realize that before)

OK, I ordered a brand new Eval-M1-101T board.
I installed v2.3 of MCwizard program.
(I wouldn't think I would have to go through the wizard just to start MCEdesigner)

I reinstalled MCEdesigner V2.3.0
I downloaded software package IMC101T-T038 software package v1.3.1 and unzipped to get configuration file IMC101T-v1.03.01.irc
I registered the Eval-M1-CM610N3 board and then was able to download IMC101T-v1.02.01.irc.
Double clicking on either the configuration (.irc) files, the communication is ok, but now I get a "product mismatch" error.

It appears to me that mcedesigner v2.3 is expecting some new version .irc file.

I've tried to UNinstall v2.3 but then trying to re-install a previous version but that gives me "ERROR" as the very last step before "finish" of installation of previous version mcedesigner.

4261.attach
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
dwissel wrote:
UPDATE:
When everything was working ok, I was using a previous version mcedesigner rather than v2.3. (Didn't realize that before)

OK, I ordered a brand new Eval-M1-101T board.
I installed v2.3 of MCwizard program.
(I wouldn't think I would have to go through the wizard just to start MCEdesigner)

I reinstalled MCEdesigner V2.3.0
I downloaded software package IMC101T-T038 software package v1.3.1 and unzipped to get configuration file IMC101T-v1.03.01.irc
I registered the Eval-M1-CM610N3 board and then was able to download IMC101T-v1.02.01.irc.
Double clicking on either the configuration (.irc) files, the communication is ok, but now I get a "product mismatch" error.

It appears to me that mcedesigner v2.3 is expecting some new version .irc file.

I've tried to UNinstall v2.3 but then trying to re-install a previous version but that gives me "ERROR" as the very last step before "finish" of installation of previous version mcedesigner.

4261.attach

Hi dwissel,
First, you don’t need to go through MCEWizard to start MCEDesigner. Maybe if you needed to create a new parameter text file for MCEDesigner, but in this case I don’t think you need to… They install as two separate applications on your computer.

The product mismatch error is due to the firmware and .irc not being the same version. Since you downloaded the latest software package v1.3.1 (with v1.03.01 of the .irc), I would open this .irc file in MCEDesigner and then reprogram the IC’s firmware using the firmware available in this software package (IMC101T-T038_A_V1.03.01.ldf). If you use v1.02.01.irc, then you need to use the firmware version that accompanies this file.

“I registered the Eval-M1-CM610N3 board and then was able to download IMC101T-v1.02.01.irc.”

Where was this .irc located that you downloaded? It sounds like the file associated with registering may need to be updated to the new latest version… If you can, please confirm the location of this file so we can improve on our end.

Thanks
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
Thank you!
I'll summarize: I should (using mcedesigner v2.3), double-click on v1.03.01.irc, ignore the product-mismatch-error, and simply program with v1.01.01.ldf.

Location of older .irc and .ldf files is via REGISTRATION of eval board, Eval-M1-CM610N3.
Once one registers, one can download a zip file: look for:
Infineon-EVAL-M1-CM610N3-AdditionalProductInformation-v01_00-EN.zip
Inside that zip is another zip eventually ending on "3. mce firware…"
Look in that zip.

BTW: There is no Registration capability and thus no download for Eval-M1-101T.
Putting the latest firmware in there along with schematics and gerbers would be helpful.

thanks again.
dave
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
Result:
I now have Q=2 "cannot connect" EVAL-M1-101T boards.
Somehow all of this is corrupting the boards so they become un-recoverable for initial communication. ("MCEdesigner cannot connect to target error")

To summarize as I now have done this twice--this time with a brand new EVAL-M1-101T.
SUMMARIZING THE STEPS:
EVAL-M1-101T & EVAL-M1-CM610N3
MCEdesigner V2.3.0.0
Generated a wizard parameter .txt file.
Double-clicked on IMC101T-v1.03.01.irc
Comm ok.
Ignored the product mismatch error (see above).
Under the program screen, put in:
Program Firmware File: IMC101T-T038_A_V1.03.01.ldf
Program parameter file: (.txt generated by wizard)
Hit "Program Firmware and Parameter"
Looks like it was proceeding....but then MCEdesigner "Error, Mode is not in application"...bombs out.
Exited out,

Now when I double click on IMC101T-v1.03.01.irc, I get "MCE Designer cannot connect to target device".
Yellow "Comm 9 down" on bottom of screen.
Power down everything, power up, double click .irc file.....gets same result.
Yes, I can verify the port is correct. No, not another MCEdesigner application is running.
Yes, when I double click on .irc file after power-up the COMM LED lights on the eval-m1-101T board indicating COMM.
But still "MCE designer cannot connect to target device..."

I've now proven: (1) I could start a motor using previous MCEdesigner and previous .irc. and previous .ldf (2) I can via updating, take two previous-working EVAL-m1-101T boards and turn them in NON-communicating, just by programming.-

How do I recover these boards so at least I can "comm" from MCEdesigner again?
What did I do wrong?
In light of this...What should I be using? (MCEdesigner version ? version .irc?, version .ldf?)

Thanks,

Dave

PS: Humor time...I think I managed to create WOM: "write only memory."
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
I tried to go back to BEFORE MCEdesigner v2.3 as that worked at one time before I corrupted something (non hardware) on the eval board.
I found that to uninstall MCEdesigner v2.3 and then re-install a previous version Mcedesigner (for example file toolbrief v02.02-EN which installs confusingly MCEdesigner v2.1.2.0),...……. I have to also un-install Mcewizard v2.3.
Using the v2.1.2.0 version MCE designer, still I get the "cannot connect to target device" error. Even though comm LED lights on the eval board)

After that, I tried (based upon one of your posts for another board) various tricks to fool MCEdesigner v2.1.2.0. (also tried it on v2.3) to get to bootloader
For example, I tried now with only MCEdesigner v2.1.2.0 :
Double click on IMC101T-v1.03.01.irc
whoops, gives "unexpected error keyword tune lock mode"
Double click on IMC101T-v1.02.01.irc
Gives typical "cannot connect target device' error.
To verify port Hit: Connection, connect using (my proper port), OK
(gives same "cannot connect target device error)
Ignore and Hit Cancel
I navigate in mcedesigner to Tools, Programmer"
Power down EVAL-M1-CM610N3 board (Another time I ALSO tried disconnecting the USB to eval board)
Wait till lights go out on the IMC101T-T038 side of eval board.
Power back up.
At the window for Tools, Programmer", I insert:
Firmware file: IMC101T-T038_A_V1.02.01.ldf
Parameter file: IMC101T-T038.txt (from same zip file as .ldf file)
And I program firmware and parameter.
Result: Program firmware and parameter failure, fail to disconnect from port.

I also tried that trick on MCEdesignv2.3.
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
dwissel wrote:
I tried to go back to BEFORE MCEdesigner v2.3 as that worked at one time before I corrupted something (non hardware) on the eval board.
I found that to uninstall MCEdesigner v2.3 and then re-install a previous version Mcedesigner (for example file toolbrief v02.02-EN which installs confusingly MCEdesigner v2.1.2.0),...……. I have to also un-install Mcewizard v2.3.
Using the v2.1.2.0 version MCE designer, still I get the "cannot connect to target device" error. Even though comm LED lights on the eval board)

After that, I tried (based upon one of your posts for another board) various tricks to fool MCEdesigner v2.1.2.0. (also tried it on v2.3) to get to bootloader
For example, I tried now with only MCEdesigner v2.1.2.0 :
Double click on IMC101T-v1.03.01.irc
whoops, gives "unexpected error keyword tune lock mode"
Double click on IMC101T-v1.02.01.irc
Gives typical "cannot connect target device' error.
To verify port Hit: Connection, connect using (my proper port), OK
(gives same "cannot connect target device error)
Ignore and Hit Cancel
I navigate in mcedesigner to Tools, Programmer"
Power down EVAL-M1-CM610N3 board (Another time I ALSO tried disconnecting the USB to eval board)
Wait till lights go out on the IMC101T-T038 side of eval board.
Power back up.
At the window for Tools, Programmer", I insert:
Firmware file: IMC101T-T038_A_V1.02.01.ldf
Parameter file: IMC101T-T038.txt (from same zip file as .ldf file)
And I program firmware and parameter.
Result: Program firmware and parameter failure, fail to disconnect from port.

I also tried that trick on MCEdesignv2.3.

Please try these instructions. It worked on my end:

Programming Eval-M1-101T when IC is in SBSL mode (COMx Down):

• Open MCEDesigner v2.3
  • Select file> open latest version of MCEDesigner configuration file (.IRC) available within IMC101T-T038 Firmware package. Link to download: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/motor-control-ics/digital-motor-controller-imotion/#!t...
  • Communication error will appear: “MCEDesigner cannot connect to target device using Port COMx”
    a. If you know this is the correct communication port, select cancel to ignore error
    b. If you are unsure this is correct communication port, follow steps below:
    i. Open Device Manager on Windows system

ii. Open ports drop-down to see active ports.

iii. Unplug and re-plug in USB connection to Eval-M1-101T

iv. One COM port will disappear and reappear with your connection. This is the COM port you should select in MCEDesigner

v. In MCEDesigner, select cancel to ignore error, then open Preference> Connection

vi. Select COM port that you just determined is correct and click “OK”

vii. Once communication error appears, ignore by selecting “Cancel”.

• In toolbar, select Tools> Programmer
  • Select “Program Firmware and Parameters” in Operation options
  • Select parameter .txt file
  • Select firmware (.ldf) file that accompanies the MCEDesigner Configuration file (.IRC) in the latest version of the software package you downloaded.
  • DO NOT YET PROGRAM. While keeping USB connection from computer to control board, turn off power to control board by unplugging power evaluation board.
  • Wait for control board to fully power down
  • When ready, provide power back to control board by plugging in then immediately click “program” in MCEDesigner.
    a. Once IC receives power, you have about a 2 second window to program.
    b. If an errors appears “Programming firmware and parameters file failed! Fail to disconnect from port!” then most likely one of two issues occurred:
    i. IC did not fully turn off. Need to unplug for longer amount of time

ii. IC did not program fast enough. Need to select “Program” in MCEDesigner quicker

• Window will pop up “Programming firmware and parameters file successful!” Device can now be used as normal.

Please note: If this did not work, IC may be damaged and can no longer be programmed. An IC in SBSL mode can be programmed with non-matching FW approximately 10 times. Afterwards, IC will lock itself permanently.
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
I'm now up to 3 eval board turned to junk. The odd aspect is I had a motor turning at one time before all this mess. And it was simple.
My boss is really frustrated and wants me to 'just use the TI demo board".
Are you sure you're using an EVAL-M1-101T board and not some other eval board?...Just checking.

In summary I had #1, #2 eval boards and a brand new virgin #3 board.

#1, #2 results:
These were the older boards--so maybe they are beyond 10 tries..
I followed your instructions precisely using V2.3 designer and its parameter file.
Result: FAIL TO DISCONNECT FROM PORT
Note: All I'm using on the IMC101T-038 side of eval board is a simple 3.3v power supply hooked to the eye-hook 3.3v and ground pins.
Ok...just to be sure, I connected a DPDT switch (one side applies 3.3v, other releases board side 3.3v from ground)...thus when 3.3v power WASN'T supplied to that side, it would ground that board sides 3.3v. (so thus surely powered down)
Same result

#3 Results:
Before you posted the detailed instructions, I used #3..... with the older designer with the NEWER wizard, set to generate an older version parameter file.
When I plugged in #3 board I got "detected incompatible design type" IMC101T_R20 .& .IMC101T_A_V1.02.01 (pretty sure those were the numbers)
I hit the start button to program firmware/parameter and got "mode not in application error"
Ok, I tried the default parameter file, hit start, got, "fail to disconnect from port" error.
I'm only up to 3 tries ...so not up to 10 tries.

Now I tried on #3 your steps above using new designer.
FAIL TO DISCONNECT FROM PORT.

Just to verify, here is what I am using:
MCEdesigner V2.3.0.0
IMC101T_V1.03.01.irc
IMC101T-T038_A_V1.03.01.ldf
IMC101T-T038_paramter.txt

I'm tempted on ordering new IC's and just slapping them on the eval boards
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
In case anyone else has these problems or can add insight,
So far my results:
All 3 boards show "fail to disconnect" after hitting start, using 100% of above approach on all q=3 eval-m1-101T boards.

(AND even running T038 side of board off just 3.3vdc (i.e. not plugging into Eval-M1-CM610N3)...power down and back up...yields same "fail to disconnect..." error.)

Yes, I verify the comm port first (each board shows up different port, but consistent per board) and its easy to verify as the blue comm led appears.
Yes, I leave the USB cable connected.
Yes, I do it fast.
Yes, I've powered them down (T038 side) for a longggg time (1/2 hour).
Yes, I've tried various USB cables and short ones. (windows 10 system)
Yes I am using I am using:
MCEdesigner V2.3.0.0
IMC101T_V1.03.01.irc (I double click this to start MCEdesigner)
Just to verify...the firmware files THEMSELVES after unzipping are EACH dated 4/24/2020.
Just to verify... on the tools, programmer page I am to check "program firmware and parameters" and that I am to insert
the unzipped firmware 4/24/2020 dated files into "program parameter file" and "program Firmware file" leaving
other things blank AND I am to hit START within the 2 sec window of powerup of T038 side of eval-m1-101T board.
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
dwissel wrote:
In case anyone else has these problems or can add insight,
So far my results:
All 3 boards show "fail to disconnect" after hitting start, using 100% of above approach on all q=3 eval-m1-101T boards.

(AND even running T038 side of board off just 3.3vdc (i.e. not plugging into Eval-M1-CM610N3)...power down and back up...yields same "fail to disconnect..." error.)

Yes, I verify the comm port first (each board shows up different port, but consistent per board) and its easy to verify as the blue comm led appears.
Yes, I leave the USB cable connected.
Yes, I do it fast.
Yes, I've powered them down (T038 side) for a longggg time (1/2 hour).
Yes, I've tried various USB cables and short ones. (windows 10 system)
Yes I am using I am using:
MCEdesigner V2.3.0.0
IMC101T_V1.03.01.irc (I double click this to start MCEdesigner)
Just to verify...the firmware files THEMSELVES after unzipping are EACH dated 4/24/2020.
Just to verify... on the tools, programmer page I am to check "program firmware and parameters" and that I am to insert
the unzipped firmware 4/24/2020 dated files into "program parameter file" and "program Firmware file" leaving
other things blank AND I am to hit START within the 2 sec window of powerup of T038 side of eval-m1-101T board.

Can you please share a screenshot of the programmer window with the files entered before hitting program?
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
Check to see (for using your approach 100%) if the designer, configuration, firmware, parameter files are a match in my screen capture.

I did indeed have one-time success (got all the way thru programming) with your approach (using default firmware/parameter files dated 04/24) on my #1 eval sample,
but it was very short lived
I took the new wizard, the EVAL-M1-CM610N3 configuration file (.mc2), and generated a NEW parameter file.
Going back to new designer....
Programming that new parameter file, with the 04/24 dated default firmware file, generated a "mode not in application error".
Trying again got me "fail to disconnect from port error".
Repeating your approach 100% now gets me the same fail to disconnect error....repeatedly

FYI: Using youapproach 100% on my #2 and #3 eval samples, do NOT yield success--i.e. I get fail to disconnect from port error.
Repeatedly.

It seems crazy but all my problems SEEM to have begun with generating parameter files using new wizard and CM610N3 config files
and then programming that parameter file with the 04/24 dated firmware file. It'd be nice if someone could confirm they're able to use
the new wizard, the CM610N3 .cf2 file, generate a new parameter file, go to new designer and program that with 04/24 dated firmware.
4416.attach
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
BTW: Would I be having all these problem if I just bought the iMotion Link?

In other words does Link allow one to get into and out of these device modes via some direct path (like a Jtag) vs
having to go in and out UART and hope its in the correct mode?
0 Likes
User19685
Level 1
Level 1
I used to be able to interface with my eval-m1-101t I used the eval-m1-cm610n3 parameters that come with the product registration extras zip file and now I can't program or have it recognize it plugged into the com port.

It shows as a com port but keeps failing saying can't disconnect. It turns green like all is well when I go to the MCEDesigner tools->programmer window but on exit it's back to yellow.

I tried the power off cm610n3 and in less than 2 seconds from power on program it. I have not been able to fix it yet.

Is there a new solution to try?
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Casey
Employee
Employee
jpalmer wrote:
I used to be able to interface with my eval-m1-101t I used the eval-m1-cm610n3 parameters that come with the product registration extras zip file and now I can't program or have it recognize it plugged into the com port.

It shows as a com port but keeps failing saying can't disconnect. It turns green like all is well when I go to the MCEDesigner tools->programmer window but on exit it's back to yellow.

I tried the power off cm610n3 and in less than 2 seconds from power on program it. I have not been able to fix it yet.

Is there a new solution to try?

Hello,
The previous instructions were slightly incorrect, please follow bellow. In addition, there is a problem with the MCEWizard configuration file currently available on website. I have attached an updated file that you can use as template to generate your parameter text file.

Programming Eval-M1-101T when IC is not in application mode (COMx Down):
1. Open MCEDesigner v2.3
2. Select file> open latest version of MCEDesigner configuration file (.IRC) available within IMC101T-T038 Firmware package. Link to download: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/motor-control-ics/digital-motor-controller-imotion/#!t...
3. Communication error will appear: “MCEDesigner cannot connect to target device using Port COMx”
a. If you know this is the correct communication port, select cancel to ignore error
ii. Open ports dropdown to see active ports.
iv. One COM port will disappear and reappear with your connection. This is the COM port you should select in MCEDesigner
v. In MCEDesigner, select cancel to ignore error, then open Preference> Connection
vii. Once communication appear, ignore by selecting “Cancel”.
c. In toolbar, select Tools> Programmer
d. Select “Program Firmware and Parameters” in Operation options
e. Select parameter .txt file generated from the MCEWizard configuration file (use attached as template)
f. Select firmware (.ldf) file that accompanies the MCEDesigner Configuration file (.IRC) in the latest version of the software package you downloaded.
g. DO NOT YET PROGRAM. While keeping USB connection from computer to control board, turn off power to control board by unplugging power evaluation board.
h. Wait for control board to fully power down
i. When ready, click “program” in MCEDesigner then after a second or two provide 3.3V to IC through test pin or by plugging in power evaluation board.
i. If an errors appears “Programming firmware and parameters file failed! Fail to disconnect from port!” then most likely one of two issues occurred:
1. IC did not fully turn off. Need to unplug for longer amount of time
2. IC was either programmed too fast or not programmed fast enough. Need to vary timing until successful. Typically the programming status should hit second increment before programming.
j. Window will pop up “Programming firmware and parameters file successful!” Device can now be used as normal.
0 Likes
User19241
Level 2
Level 2
Thanks a million Casey!
Thanks for EXCELLENT support.

Using your UPDATED wizard configuration file worked! ( with 99% of your steps below.)
(I used 3.3v & gnd connected to the test pins on the T038 side of the board.)

I modified this step: "When ready, click “program” in MCEDesigner then immediately provide 3.3V to IC through test pin or by plugging in power evaluation board."
What worked for me: "When ready, click (it's not "program" but rather...) “start” in MCEDesigner then wait a short while to provide 3.3V to IC through test pin or by plugging in power evaluation board."

"short while" denied: Varies. I tried this on 3 boards. None worked with "immediate" meaning about "a second" to me.
On 2 stubborn boards I found the status scroll bar of MCEdesigner was a good indicator. It updates the scroll bar in chunks. I just waited for the 2nd chunk and turned on the 3.3v.

I got tired of waiting for power-down of board for each try.
Using a switch, makes it instantaneous. 4414.attach

Tip: You can verify the port is correct easily. (step 3a).
My experience is IF the blue comm light comes on for the USB side of the eval board, the comm port choice is ok.

Programming IC when device is not in application mode:
All of my steps were correct EXCEPT for one which is why you were only able to successfully program once. You need to start the programming BEFORE you provide 3.3V to IC. This is allows for a larger programming window and it worked without fail for me. I guess there is a difference in timing between SBSL mode and when the IC is not in application mode. I highlighted in red where I have updated the instructions.

Programming Eval-M1-101T when IC is not in application mode (COMx Down):
1. Open MCEDesigner v2.3
2. Select file> open latest version of MCEDesigner configuration file (.IRC) available within IMC101T-T038 Firmware package. Link to download: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/motor-control-ics/digital-motor-controller-imotion/#!t...
3. Communication error will appear: “MCEDesigner cannot connect to target device using Port COMx”
ii. Open ports dropdown to see active ports.
vii. Once communication appear, ignore by selecting “Cancel”.
c. In toolbar, select Tools> Programmer
d. Select “Program Firmware and Parameters” in Operation options
e. Select parameter .txt file generated from the MCEWizard configuration file I shared
f. Select firmware (.ldf) file that accompanies the MCEDesigner Configuration file (.IRC) in the latest version of the software package you downloaded.
g. DO NOT YET PROGRAM. While keeping USB connection from computer to control board, turn off power to control board by unplugging power evaluation board.
h. Wait for control board to fully power down
i. When ready, click “program” in MCEDesigner then immediately provide 3.3V to IC through test pin or by plugging in power evaluation board.
i. If an errors appears “Programming firmware and parameters file failed! Fail to disconnect from port!” then most likely one of two issues occurred:
1. IC did not fully turn off. Need to unplug for longer amount of time
2. IC did not program fast enough. Need to select “Program” in MCEDesigner quicker
j. Window will pop up “Programming firmware and parameters file successful!” Device can now be used as normal.
0 Likes