infineon4engi@twitter infineon@linkedin infineon4engineers infineon@youtube
twitter Facebook Linkedin Youtube

Banner_Cipos_Nano Banner_Cipos_Micro Banner_Cipos_Mini Banner_Cipos_Maxi Banner_IPM_Selection_Guide

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ipm current consumption -- digital control section

New Member New Member fabiocer is on a distinguished road

Ipm current consumption -- digital control section

Hi All,
    i am working for some months with the FOC library and some PMSM motors. The library is really good. Takes some time to set-up but I would like to try the new MCE tools: Designes and Wizard.
    Besides, the new range of IPM's are really powerful: there are a lot of deivces, that cover the most frequent motor applications; in fact, you can easily drive motors from few watts to Kw.
    In the field of domestic and semi-professional appliances, powers up to 1.000 watt cover the 90% of the possibilities.

Since the space is a critical aspect, especially in domestic and/or handy tools, I would like to underline there is some lack of information regarding the axuliary power supply current consuption.

I try to explain better: in order to reduce as much as possible the space and the cost of the circuit, most applications drive the motor directly from the MAINS: 110 or 220 VAC. This means that you only need an EMI filter, a bridge rectifier and a snubber capacitor.
    If you do not care about the torque ripple if often happens that there is no snubber cap.

That said, there is the need to obtain an auxiliary voltage, from 12 to 18 Volt (best is 15 Volt DC), needed by the IPM for the logic parts, and also another 5VDC / 3.3 VDC for the microcontroller. Considering that the microcontroller section should need something between 10 to 30mA, it is CRUCIAL to
    understand HOW MUCH CURRENT the Auxiliary Logic Part of the IPM needs to work correctly,

This is really important because you can build an auxiliary PS with very few components (consider for example the LNK30x series coming from Power Integrations, that need just teo diodes, and inductor and two caps).
    But these solutions can drive up to 200mA.
    How can we be sure that 200/250 mA are enough for our motor applications?

I made some tests, with a PMSM motor that has a power of 500 / 600 W rated power. The maximum speed is 12.000 RPM

Please find attached a couple of screenshots taken from a DSO Rigol DS1074.

The pictures show the voltage across a 10 Ohm resistor in series of a 15VDC Power Supply that drives a ICK10H60 IPM, a module for up to 10A applications.

As you can see, there is a relevant peak of current related to the PWM switching frequency. The PWM freq. of the FOC driver is setted a 16Khz.

I would like, if possible, to have more informations and more tables from INFINEON. I assume they made a lot of tests regarding this topic.

I am happy to further discuss and get deeper in this topic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tensione 15VDC su 10R in serie - Motore On Massimo Sforzo 1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	4663

Name:	Tensione 15VDC su 10R in serie - Motore On Massimo Sforzo 2.jpg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	4664

Name:	DS1Z_QuickPrint99.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	4665

Best Regards

Fabio

Infineon Employee
    Infineon Employee
    Expert
    Casey is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiocer View Post
    Hi All,
    i am working for some months with the FOC library and some PMSM motors. The library is really good. Takes some time to set-up but I would like to try the new MCE tools: Designes and Wizard.
    Besides, the new range of IPM's are really powerful: there are a lot of deivces, that cover the most frequent motor applications; in fact, you can easily drive motors from few watts to Kw.
    In the field of domestic and semi-professional appliances, powers up to 1.000 watt cover the 90% of the possibilities.

Since the space is a critical aspect, especially in domestic and/or handy tools, I would like to underline there is some lack of information regarding the axuliary power supply current consuption.

I try to explain better: in order to reduce as much as possible the space and the cost of the circuit, most applications drive the motor directly from the MAINS: 110 or 220 VAC. This means that you only need an EMI filter, a bridge rectifier and a snubber capacitor.
    If you do not care about the torque ripple if often happens that there is no snubber cap.

That said, there is the need to obtain an auxiliary voltage, from 12 to 18 Volt (best is 15 Volt DC), needed by the IPM for the logic parts, and also another 5VDC / 3.3 VDC for the microcontroller. Considering that the microcontroller section should need something between 10 to 30mA, it is CRUCIAL to
    understand HOW MUCH CURRENT the Auxiliary Logic Part of the IPM needs to work correctly,

This is really important because you can build an auxiliary PS with very few components (consider for example the LNK30x series coming from Power Integrations, that need just teo diodes, and inductor and two caps).
    But these solutions can drive up to 200mA.
    How can we be sure that 200/250 mA are enough for our motor applications?

I made some tests, with a PMSM motor that has a power of 500 / 600 W rated power. The maximum speed is 12.000 RPM

Please find attached a couple of screenshots taken from a DSO Rigol DS1074.

The pictures show the voltage across a 10 Ohm resistor in series of a 15VDC Power Supply that drives a ICK10H60 IPM, a module for up to 10A applications.

As you can see, there is a relevant peak of current related to the PWM switching frequency. The PWM freq. of the FOC driver is setted a 16Khz.

I would like, if possible, to have more informations and more tables from INFINEON. I assume they made a lot of tests regarding this topic.

I am happy to further discuss and get deeper in this topic.

Attachment 4663

Attachment 4664

Attachment 4665

Best Regards

Fabio

Hi Fabio,
    You are correct, we do perform quite a bit of tests on Vdd current. The datasheet only provides the required quiescent current but you can find more information in the IPM application notes. Since you are using IKCM10H60GA, please refer to the CIPOS™ IPM Mini Application note. You can also find it on the IPM Webpage, under documents in the Application Note dropdown. Section 4.3 (page 19) discussed the recommended rated output current of power supply.
    Thanks,
    Casey
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions, have not been reviewed or authorized by Infineon and do not necessarily represent the views of Infineon.

+ Reply to Thread
Disclaimer

All content and materials on this site are provided “as is“. Infineon makes no warranties or representations with regard to this content and these materials of any kind, whether express or implied, including without limitation, warranties or representations of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement of any third party intellectual property right. No license, whether express or implied, is granted by Infineon. Use of the information on this site may require a license from a third party, or a license from Infineon.

Infineon accepts no liability for the content and materials on this site being accurate, complete or up- to-date or for the contents of external links. Infineon distances itself expressly from the contents of the linked pages, over the structure of which Infineon has no control.

Content on this site may contain or be subject to specific guidelines or limitations on use. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Usage Terms of the site; third parties using this content agree to abide by any limitations or guidelines and to comply with the Usage Terms of this site. Infineon reserves the right to make corrections, deletions, modifications, enhancements, improvements and other changes to the content and materials, its products, programs and services at any time or to move or discontinue any content, products, programs, or services without notice.