IMC301A usart connection problem

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User19296
Level 1
Level 1
First like received 5 replies posted First question asked
i bought IMC301A MCE. I connect all Vcc and Vss pin. In the beginnig i could connect MCE and prgrammed it with MCEDesigner. I used IRMC301t firmware and sample parameters. After download program to MCE. I could not connect MCE with USART. How can i reach MCE again with USART?
0 Likes
11 Replies
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
nuhdede wrote:
i bought IMC301A MCE. I connect all Vcc and Vss pin. In the beginnig i could connect MCE and prgrammed it with MCEDesigner. I used IRMC301t firmware and sample parameters. After download program to MCE. I could not connect MCE with USART. How can i reach MCE again with USART?

Hi Nuhdede,
Was the firmware successfully programmed or did you encounter an error? Have you checked the connection to make sure it is trying to connect through the right com port? On top toolbar in MCEDesigner select Preferences>Connection.
0 Likes
User19296
Level 1
Level 1
hi Casey,
i tried 2 different MCE, first one programing without error. Second one with error. But both act same. No connection after download firmware and paramter. Connection and com port righti checked again and again. when i power up MCE, It send me 0xFE on USART. I tried both UART 0 AND 1. MCE Send something only 115200 baudrate.
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
nuhdede wrote:
hi Casey,
i tried 2 different MCE, first one programing without error. Second one with error. But both act same. No connection after download firmware and paramter. Connection and com port righti checked again and again. when i power up MCE, It send me 0xFE on USART. I tried both UART 0 AND 1. MCE Send something only 115200 baudrate.

Hi Nuhdede,
A couple things to check to help debug:

• You said you programmed with IRMC301t firmware. I think this was just a typo but please make sure you are programming with IMC301-A firmware which is downloaded through IMC301A-F064 MCE Software Package found on website. The firmware in package will be labeled as IMC301A-F064_A_V1.02.01.ldf. If a non compatible firmware is used, the IC would go into SBSL model and not be able to connect to MCEDesigner
  • Did you design your own pcb for this IC or are you using some socket to implement? If using a socket, the power rail filtering and decoupling capacitance may not be enough to ensure stable operation.
  • Check UART. Only UART0 on T core can be used to communicate with MCEDesigner. UART0_A and UART1_A are on A core and is not designed to communicate with MCEDesigner.
0 Likes
User19296
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Casey,

- I programmed with IMC301A-F064 MCE software packagewhich i download website. MCE go into SBSL mode i think. Because it send usart 0XFE on startup. If it is in SBSL mode how can i reach and clear it?
- I Use simple pcb u can see it in attachment. I used stable voltage regulator.
- I controlled uart many time.

I think problem is MCE go into SBSL mode .

thank you.4168.attach
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Casey
Employee
Employee
nuhdede wrote:
Hi Casey,

- I programmed with IMC301A-F064 MCE software packagewhich i download website. MCE go into SBSL mode i think. Because it send usart 0XFE on startup. If it is in SBSL mode how can i reach and clear it?
- I Use simple pcb u can see it in attachment. I used stable voltage regulator.
- I controlled uart many time.

I think problem is MCE go into SBSL mode .

thank you.4168.attach

Hi Nuhdede,
SBSL mode is the default setting and how the IC comes when purchased. It would need to be programmed with the firmware and the parameters again. Are you able to reprogram? Or is the device not recognized at all and you are getting a com port error because the device is not seen? Are you getting any errors in MCEDesigner? Please see attached the MCEDesigner guide just to make sure you are programming correctly.
Another possible reason could be that the VDD and VSS pins require proper local decoupling capacitance to ensure stable operation of IC.
0 Likes
User19296
Level 1
Level 1
Hello casey,

I added 333nf capacitor between Vdd and Vss.Nothing change. My problem occur after programing IC. At the beginnig i can connect IC easly. When i programmed it i couldnt reach again. It happens same at two IC. I read appşication and did what it said many times.

when i power on IC, It send 0xFF to serial port. After that nothing.
You can see some picture in attachment.
4177.attach4178.attach4179.attach4180.attach4181.attach4182.attach
0 Likes
User19296
Level 1
Level 1
problem not solved.
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
nuhdede wrote:
problem not solved.

Hi Nuhdede,
I was able to recreate the device failing to program firmware. The issue of why it failed is most likely different but when the device fails and goes in SBSL mode, MCEDesigner will not recognize it. You can still attempt to reprogram, but you may also now be locked out of the IC and will no longer be able to. To try to program in SBSL mode follow the steps below:

Power-up the device then start MCEDesigner. The tool first checks if the agent code responds which it will not of course, and you will get the error message in MCEDesigner. Ignore the error by selecting cancel and open programmer window by selecting Tools>programmer. NOW un-power then re-power the device in order to reset the bootstrap loader of the chip. This is a mandatory action. After that, chose the files (don’t mix up parameters and firmware file) and start download.
0 Likes
User19296
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Casey,

I tried ur solution, but still i cant connect. I add protocol analyzer output.4194.attach
0 Likes
User19296
Level 1
Level 1
problem not solved...
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
nuhdede wrote:
problem not solved...

Hello,
I have created more detailed instructions to program an IC while in SBSL mode. These instructions are for a motor drive set-up with evaluation board Eval-M1-101T but you should be able to repeat with your own set-up.

Programming Eval-M1-101T when IC is in SBSL mode (COMx Down):

• Open MCEDesigner v2.3
  • Select file> open latest version of MCEDesigner configuration file (.IRC) available within IMC101T-T038 Firmware package. Link to download: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/motor-control-ics/digital-motor-controller-imotion/#!t...
  • Communication error will appear: “MCEDesigner cannot connect to target device using Port COMx”
    a. If you know this is the correct communication port, select cancel to ignore error
    b. If you are unsure this is correct communication port, follow steps below:
    i. Open Device Manager on Windows system

ii. Open ports drop-down to see active ports.

iii. Unplug and re-plug in USB connection to Eval-M1-101T

iv. One COM port will disappear and reappear with your connection. This is the COM port you should select in MCEDesigner

v. In MCEDesigner, select cancel to ignore error, then open Preference> Connection

vi. Select COM port that you just determined is correct and click “OK”

vii. Once communication error appears, ignore by selecting “Cancel”.

• In toolbar, select Tools> Programmer
  • Select “Program Firmware and Parameters” in Operation options
  • Select parameter .txt file
  • Select firmware (.ldf) file that accompanies the MCEDesigner Configuration file (.IRC) in the latest version of the software package you downloaded.
  • DO NOT YET PROGRAM. While keeping USB connection from computer to control board, turn off power to control board by unplugging power evaluation board.
  • Wait for control board to fully power down
  • When ready, provide power back to control board by plugging in then immediately click “program” in MCEDesigner.
    a. Once IC receives power, you have about a 2 second window to program.
    b. If an errors appears “Programming firmware and parameters file failed! Fail to disconnect from port!” then most likely one of two issues occurred:
    i. IC did not fully turn off. Need to unplug for longer amount of time

ii. IC did not program fast enough. Need to select “Program” in MCEDesigner quicker

• Window will pop up “Programming firmware and parameters file successful!” Device can now be used as normal.

Please note: If this did not work, IC may be damaged and can no longer be programmed. An IC in SBSL mode can be programmed with non-matching FW approximately 10 times. Afterwards, IC will lock itself permanently.
0 Likes