Cte620n3 & xmc1302tobo board -- any compatibility?

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User14451
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted
Hallo,
I have a perfectly working project in DAVE 4.4.2 using the FOC library, installed in a kit composed by the uC board XMC1302TOBO1 and the CM610N3 power board.
I want to change the CM610 with the new and more powerful CTE620N3, equipped with the same I-MOTION MADK 20-pin CONNECTOR.
The HW seems to be pin-to-pin compatible, but the MOTOR DOES NOT START!
Of course I have changed the parameter of the POWER BOARD (basically the Shunt Resistors and the Peak Current).

Any help? Is there any other modification I have missed?

Thank you

Best Regards

Fabio
0 Likes
2 Replies
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
fabiocer wrote:
Hallo,
I have a perfectly working project in DAVE 4.4.2 using the FOC library, installed in a kit composed by the uC board XMC1302TOBO1 and the CM610N3 power board.
I want to change the CM610 with the new and more powerful CTE620N3, equipped with the same I-MOTION MADK 20-pin CONNECTOR.
The HW seems to be pin-to-pin compatible, but the MOTOR DOES NOT START!
Of course I have changed the parameter of the POWER BOARD (basically the Shunt Resistors and the Peak Current).

Any help? Is there any other modification I have missed?

Thank you

Best Regards

Fabio

Hello,
Typically these boards are used with iMOTION controllers so it will be little more difficult for me to understand the problem. What are you reading on PIN 13 (Gatekill) on the iMOTION connecter? If it is low then the IPM is shut off. The IPM (IM393-X6E) on the CTE620N3 board handles fault reporting different than your original board. The original board you were using has an IPM with a VFO pin connected to a comparator circuit for overtemp (if populated which I believe it is) and then connected to PIN13. This VFO pin only reports faults. The IPM on the CTE620N3 has an RFE pin connected to gatekill which reports faults like VFO but the IPM can also be disabled through this pin if the controller pulls it low. I would think this is your problem. Check figure 10 in the EVAL-M1-CM610N3 user manual and figure 11 in the EVAL-M1-CTE620N3 User manual for the gatekill circuits. Just to note, another option for you to get more power is to use your original power board but replace the IPM on it with one in the same family but rated for more power (IKCM30F60GA for highest power capability). You would then just need to change R21 on the motor board to increase your current trip level.
0 Likes
User14451
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted
Hi Casey,
thanks to your reply we have found the problem. The point is that in the XMC1302TOBO the GATEKILL signal coming from the POWER BOARD passes trough a LEVEL SHIFTER with some polarising resistor that confict with the PULL-UP resistor in the POWER BOARD.
I have just issue another topic in order to better explain what we have found, hoping that this can help other users.
Besides a quick note: we would not prefer to change the IPM because we think that ALL the board and components (NTC, Inductors, Capacitors, and so on) are designed for that current.
Thank you!
Best Regards
Fabio
0 Likes