XMC4400 SWD and ETM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Not applicable
Hi All,

I would like to use the SWD (for flashing, debug) and ETM (for testing, code-coverage etc) on my XMC4400, what are the signals that needs to be connected ?

When looking through the reference-manual for the XMC4400 I find only 4 signals and those are:

P1.15 - DB.ETM_TRACEDATA3
P2.1 - TRACESWO
TCK - SWCLK
TMS - SWDIO

However, looking at any debug-probe (like the Segger J-trace) capable of doing ETM, they got from 20 pin and upwards (to 38 pin) at their side of the connector. What am I missing here ?

Are the 4 signals above the only ones I need to hook up, or are there some missing (in order to get the SWD and ETM working) ?

Anyone out there with experience from using SWD and ETM on a XMC4k-part ? How do you manage it ? What debug-probes are you using ?
0 Likes
1 Reply
Not applicable
Hi,
Trace can be done using either the 4-bit parallel pins or the serial wire interface pin SWO. Parallel trace has a greater bandwidth, but uses 5 pins. The debug and trace pins is listed below (refer to table 24-12 of XMC4400 referenece manual):
P1.15 - DB.ETM_TRACEDATA3
P2.1 - TRACESWO
P2.14 - DB.ETM_TRACECLK
P3.6 - DB.ETM_TRACEDATA0
P4.0 - DB.ETM_TRACEDATA1
P4.1 - DB.ETM_TRACEDATA2
TCK - SWCLK
TMS - SWDIO
As for the pin configuration for debug and tracing, has to refer to the debug probe which you are using. An example of SEGGER J-Link and KEIL ULINK-pro are attached.
345.attach344.attach
0 Likes