IR2136 application circuit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted First question asked First reply posted
Hello everyone, I use the gate driver ic IR2136, when I measure between VB1 and VS1 I haven't 15V, I have to put the source pin of the mosfet transistor at the GND to have a potential difference of 15V between VB1 and VS1.

i look at the page 5 of the datasheet of the IR2136 to help me

the values of the components : 1) 3x diodes 1N4007

2) 5x 1kohm resistors

3) 6x 1µF capacitors

4) mosfet STP43N60DM2

if someone has already worked on a circuit like this ? please give me some tips to correct this error.

4045.attach

4046.attach
0 Likes
1 Solution
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
Hi, I have determined the values of my components but I'm not sure that the calculation is good.

Can someone check my calculations please ?

bootstrap capacitor : 47nF

bootstrap diode : BA218

bootstrap resistance : 100 ohms

4257.attach

and the documents of the calculations :

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua887/slua887.pdf?ts=1588775387752

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Using_Monolithic_Voltage_Gate_Drivers-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
here I tested with a diode 1N4148, I configured my PWM at 1Hz, I checked that my transistor switches every second, I put a load resistance of 82 ohm / 5W and I measured 14.61V between VB-S, the problem now is that my load resistance starts to heat up a lot when I increase the frequency of my PWM.
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Srivatsa
First comment on blog 10 sign-ins First like received
Hi,
Are you providing inputs for low side gate driver outputs? If so, what is their duty cycle? The bootstrap capacitor gets charged when the low side MOSFET turns on. Pls review the attached application notes to get a better understanding of how these IC's operate.
You dont have to connect a load resistor.

0 Likes
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
Srivatsa wrote:
Hi,
Are you providing inputs for low side gate driver outputs? If so, what is their duty cycle? The bootstrap capacitor gets charged when the low side MOSFET turns on. Pls review the attached application notes to get a better understanding of how these IC's operate.
You dont have to connect a load resistor.

yes I have put 3V3 PWM at LIN1 and the duty cycle is at 50%

here is the tests that I did at 1kHz : 1) High Side

4051.attach

2) Low Side

4052.attach

load resistance is 82ohm / 5W

infact I want to realize a Sine PWM signal at the output of the transistor bridges to be able to drive an asynchronous motor

the problem is that I don't know how to achieve a reverse PWM for the Low Side

at the end it will be necessary that I have a signal on each motor phase which looks like this: 4053.attach
0 Likes
Srivatsa
Please share your schematics.
0 Likes
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
Srivatsa wrote:
Please share your schematics.

the schematic : 4055.attach
0 Likes
Srivatsa
The 82 ohm is not needed in actual application. You are using it to charge the bootstrap capacitor which provides HO output. Ideally when LO turns on the low side MOSFET, the bootstrap capacitor should get charged.

Pls connect the VS 1,2,3 node to motor windings. To generate the required PWM pattern kindly check with the respective micro-controller application support teams who can help you with the algorithms.

You can look at Infineon's Digital Motor Controller (iMOTION™) solution and perform simulations at https://plex.infineon.com/plexim/ipmmotor.html
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
Srivatsa wrote:
The 82 ohm is not needed in actual application. You are using it to charge the bootstrap capacitor which provides HO output. Ideally when LO turns on the low side MOSFET, the bootstrap capacitor should get charged.

Pls connect the VS 1,2,3 node to motor windings. To generate the required PWM pattern kindly check with the respective micro-controller application support teams who can help you with the algorithms.

You can look at Infineon's Digital Motor Controller (iMOTION™) solution and perform simulations at https://plex.infineon.com/plexim/ipmmotor.html

Hello, I made new measurements by connecting all the transistor bridge, the low side works but the high side does not work.

I also noticed that I don't have the 15V at the VB1 - VS1 terminals, instead I have around 500mV.

wiring diagram :

high side probe : 4060.attach

low side probe : 4061.attach

PS: the capacitors are badly rated, they are all 1µF

and the PWM operates at 500 Hz
0 Likes
Srivatsa
Pls check if the MOSFET Q8 is turning ON. Also, check the status of Fault pin. You can write to me at srivatsa.raghunath@infineon.com and I will see if I can get a field applications engineer to support you onsite.
0 Likes
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
Srivatsa wrote:
Pls check if the MOSFET Q8 is turning ON. Also, check the status of Fault pin. You can write to me at srivatsa.raghunath@infineon.com and I will see if I can get a field applications engineer to support you onsite.

Hello, I determined the value of the capacitor, it is 33nF, I am doing tests and I now have a PWM from 0 to 20V in VS1, VS2 and VS3.

the problem now is that I have current spikes at each switching, I tried to put a big filtering condo on the 20V power supply and this has reduced the spikes but there are still some left.
0 Likes
Srivatsa
For reducing the current spikes, you can check your layout. See an optimal layout example as attached. Use dedicated traces right from the shunt resistor to the resistors of
amplifier. Traces must not be shared with ground planes. Keep traces among MOSFETs and DC bus capacitors as short as possible.

You can also try with a bigger Vcc capacitor.

4103.attach
0 Likes
User18971
Level 2
Level 2
Hi, I have determined the values of my components but I'm not sure that the calculation is good.

Can someone check my calculations please ?

bootstrap capacitor : 47nF

bootstrap diode : BA218

bootstrap resistance : 100 ohms

4257.attach

and the documents of the calculations :

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slua887/slua887.pdf?ts=1588775387752

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Using_Monolithic_Voltage_Gate_Drivers-AN-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId...
0 Likes