Heatsink and IPMs

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User17767
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked First question asked
Hi guys, can you please give me some hints on which heatsink I should I select for my IPMs?
Thanks!
0 Likes
1 Solution
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
TondGy wrote:
Hi guys, can you please give me some hints on which heatsink I should I select for my IPMs?
Thanks!

Finding a sufficient heat sink most likely will include an iterative process of choosing and testing multiple heat sinks. The IPM app note found under documents on each IPM webpage provides more information on how to roughly size a heat sink, but in order for one to be optimized for a given application, one may need to contact a heat sink manufacturer or consultant. Using the IPM simulation tool may also help in determining a heatsink size. If you have your IPM selected and know your motor parameters, then you can test out various heatsink thermal resistance (Rth) values to roughly determine a size that should work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
TondGy wrote:
Thanks!

Finding a sufficient heat sink most likely will include an iterative process of choosing and testing multiple heat sinks. The IPM app note found under documents on each IPM webpage provides more information on how to roughly size a heat sink, but in order for one to be optimized for a given application, one may need to contact a heat sink manufacturer or consultant. Using the IPM simulation tool may also help in determining a heatsink size. If you have your IPM selected and know your motor parameters, then you can test out various heatsink thermal resistance (Rth) values to roughly determine a size that should work.
0 Likes