Does the user have to activate the FPU?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User18303
Level 2
Level 2
Hi all,

Is it necessary to activate the Floating Point Unit (FPU) of the TriCore CPU?

Best regards,
Lina

#8042000 19761
0 Likes
3 Replies
User18237
Level 5
Level 5
First solution authored First like received
Hi Lina,

It is not necessary to enable the Floating Point Unit, but to utilize it, the compiler needs to generate code for the FPU HW, i.e. the distinction to use either the fix point arithmetic or the FPU is done via the instruction which is used. Most compiler are using their floating point libraries as default, which assumes that there is no FPU. Tricore™ is supporting single precision floating point.

Kind regards,
Mr. AURIX™
0 Likes
User13836
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 sign-ins
Hello Lina,

the commercial TASKING TriCore tools as well as the AURIX Development Studio do include libraries which use hardware FPU instructions for single precision float calculations. The user can decide if the C compiler shall generate FPU instructions and also if library functions which do so shall be used. This is defined by the settings in the:

TASKING C Compiler >> Floating-point

menu for the AURIX Development Studio and

C/C++ Compiler >> Floating-point

menu for the commercial TASKING TriCore toolset.

Best regards,
Ulrich Kloidt

TASKING tools support
0 Likes
User13836
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 sign-ins
I need to update my statement. The AURIX Development Studio does not support using different FP settings. Although the menu doea allow this the options are not passed to the C compiler / linker. So for the AURIX Development Studio only single precision FP with hardware FPU support and no software FP trapping seems to be supported. For the commercial TASKING TriCore tools this is fully configurable instead. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Best regards,
Ulrich Kloidt
0 Likes