Which IPM is best suited for my application?

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User17640
Level 1
Level 1
10 questions asked 5 questions asked First question asked
Dears,

while checking out the Infineon website i was trying to find the best matching IPM for my configuration.
Do you have a hint how or where to find the best suited device?

Thanks in advance.
Max Power
0 Likes
1 Solution
Casey
Employee
Employee
50 replies posted 25 replies posted 10 replies posted
Hello!

There are a couple different methods to figuring out which IPM will work with your application. The method you choose depends on how much information you know about your design...

If you are just starting out with your design and only know your approximate power and target application then I would recommend using the product table on the IPM webpage to filter out parts that would work with your desired power and voltage. You can also check out the IPM selection guide which details the product portfolio and main applications but please note this document only gets updated about once a year so sometimes the newest products may not be included. I also included an image that shows the IPM product families along with their power range and target applications which may help 🙂
3971.attach
This gives a general idea of which product family to choose but you may need more information about the design to narrow down which IPM works best.

If you are farther into the design process and know your motor parameters as well as the thermal environment, then the IPM Simulation Tool will be extremely useful in helping you select the best fitting IPM. This tool estimates the power losses and temperatures of the IGBTs/MOSFETs within the IPM using your motor drive parameters (DC voltage, power factor, system freq, output voltage and current, etc.). To know how to use the tool, please watch the video tutorial on the tool's webpage. There is also a user manual that goes into more detail.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
User18735
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted First reply posted
What do you mean by IPM
0 Likes
User17668
Level 2
Level 2
5 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 questions asked
Hi Guys,
I also need your support. I need help selecting an IPM, what can I do? Where do I get support...

Thanks
0 Likes
Fränce
5 sign-ins 5 replies posted 10 questions asked
Where can I find a full system solution for my application? Do you provide any tools that could help me?

Have a great weekend!
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
Hello!

There are a couple different methods to figuring out which IPM will work with your application. The method you choose depends on how much information you know about your design...

If you are just starting out with your design and only know your approximate power and target application then I would recommend using the product table on the IPM webpage to filter out parts that would work with your desired power and voltage. You can also check out the IPM selection guide which details the product portfolio and main applications but please note this document only gets updated about once a year so sometimes the newest products may not be included. I also included an image that shows the IPM product families along with their power range and target applications which may help 🙂
3971.attach
This gives a general idea of which product family to choose but you may need more information about the design to narrow down which IPM works best.

If you are farther into the design process and know your motor parameters as well as the thermal environment, then the IPM Simulation Tool will be extremely useful in helping you select the best fitting IPM. This tool estimates the power losses and temperatures of the IGBTs/MOSFETs within the IPM using your motor drive parameters (DC voltage, power factor, system freq, output voltage and current, etc.). To know how to use the tool, please watch the video tutorial on the tool's webpage. There is also a user manual that goes into more detail.
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
@NeerajSDI,

An IPM is short for Intelligent Power Module. I have detailed what an IPM is in another thread here: https://www.infineonforums.com/threads/10823-What-is-an-IPM
0 Likes
Casey
Employee
Employee
If you are looking for a tool that helps you find a full system solution for your application (not just IPMs) then I will point you in the direction of the solution finder
This is an online tool for finding, comparing and buying semiconductor products in an application context visualized by block diagrams and combined with electrical and thermal simulations.
0 Likes