IRS2007/2008 -- drive with DC control input?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like given
Hello,

Can half-bridge gate drivers like the IRS2007 and IRS2008 be controlled by DC voltages at the IN pin, or is there a minimum input frequency? The datasheet doesn't specify this. We are not using PWM, but rather just want to turn on either the high-side or the low-side driver for long periods of time.

Thanks,
Scott
0 Likes
1 Solution
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
We decided to use a relay instead -- working fine so far.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Srivatsa
First comment on blog 10 sign-ins First like received
Hi,

The IRS2007 and IRS2008 do not have a minimum input frequency requirement. If the high-side power supply is sufficiently charged or an external isolated power supply is used to power the high side, these drivers can be controlled by DC voltages.

Regards,

Srivatsa
0 Likes
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
Hi Srivatsa,

Thank you for the quick response. I'm a little unclear on some of what you said, so I want to try to clarify.

What did you mean when you referred to the high-side power supply being "sufficiently charged"?

FYI, our high-side supply is not isolated. It is 48 V, referenced to the same ground as our logic signals.

Thanks again,
Scott
0 Likes
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
Hello,

I'm concerned that perhaps I'm missing something in my thinking. I'm new to using half-bridge gate drivers which rely on bootstrapping to drive the high-side device. We need switch on the appropriate device in the bridge and leave it on for a long duration, perhaps as much as an hour. It appears that the bootstrap approach doesn't allow this unless the capacitor is enormous, to prevent the gate drive voltage from gradually dropping as time goes on.

Am I thinking about this correctly? The part we're considering using is the IRS2008.

Thanks,
Scott
0 Likes
Srivatsa
First comment on blog 10 sign-ins First like received
Hi Scott,

I merged both the queries as they may be related to the same topic.

Yes, that is what I meant by high-side power supply being sufficiently charged. To remain "ON" for a long duration the high-side power supply must deliver the required power. If the bootstrap capacitor does not have a chance to recharge, then over time it drains out pulling the high-side output low.
One option is to use an isolated power supply to power VB instead of bootstrapping it.

Thanks and regards,

Srivatsa
0 Likes
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
Hi Srivatsa,
Yes, they're related topics. It appears that, based on this, we're going to have to look at a different approach.
Thanks,
Scott
0 Likes
sujoy
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins
Hi Brencon,

If the gate has to be on for an hour or so, why don't you use a huge capacitor like 100uF or so? I think it should do the trick. You may need to add a resistor between the bootstrap diode and Vcc to limit current surges though.

Also you can check out this application note, https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-HV_Floating_MOS_Gate_Drivers-ApplicationNotes-v01_00-EN.pdf?f... Chapter 8 addresses your issue a bit differently.
0 Likes
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
If I recall correctly, I calculated a much larger capacitor was needed. I will review the app note, however.
Thanks,
Scott
0 Likes
User19722
Level 1
Level 1
First solution authored
High side Iq is 75µA max, or 270mC per hour. so a cap of 270000µF will droop one Volt. Good luck recharging that...
Use a 1W DC-DC, they are just 5x10mm and solve your problem for good.
0 Likes
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
We decided to use a relay instead -- working fine so far.
0 Likes