Distance2Go FMCW

Announcements

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User11520
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted
Hello everyone,
I am trying to configure the board Distance2Go, by using the InfineonToolbox, for working as an FMCW radar, without positive results. I mean obtaining a modulated signal that actually is continuous.
I understand that it is possible to increase the number of chirps per frame but the overall duration of all chirps is always less than the frame period. Moreover, there is a too long minimum time between consecutive frames.
My purpose is to obtain a series of chirps without pauses between each one.
Thanks in advance
0 Likes
1 Solution
User17566
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 5 replies posted First reply posted
I only have experience on the position2go but I'll try to provide an answer. The boards are pretty similar.

You should be able to receive a series of chirps without delay between them by packing them all into the same frame. There is a limit of how much data you can fit into one frame, likely determined by a hardware buffer that cannot be changed.
If you reduce the number of samples you are taking per chirp, you should be able to fit more chirps per frame. If the firmware doesn't allow you to do this, it can probably be changed.

How fast are you sampling data? For most applications the time between frames shouldn't be an issue, I measured it to be 1-2 ms on the position2go. I measured this using the ComLib C interface, collecting data over USB. The infineon toolbox may be slower to collect data.
By default the time between frames is probably around 5 ms, you can reduce this by disabling BGT duty cycling and changing the hard-coded 1000 us "wait for calculation" time to ~600 us. Any faster and you'll risk instability.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
User17566
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored 5 replies posted First reply posted
I only have experience on the position2go but I'll try to provide an answer. The boards are pretty similar.

You should be able to receive a series of chirps without delay between them by packing them all into the same frame. There is a limit of how much data you can fit into one frame, likely determined by a hardware buffer that cannot be changed.
If you reduce the number of samples you are taking per chirp, you should be able to fit more chirps per frame. If the firmware doesn't allow you to do this, it can probably be changed.

How fast are you sampling data? For most applications the time between frames shouldn't be an issue, I measured it to be 1-2 ms on the position2go. I measured this using the ComLib C interface, collecting data over USB. The infineon toolbox may be slower to collect data.
By default the time between frames is probably around 5 ms, you can reduce this by disabling BGT duty cycling and changing the hard-coded 1000 us "wait for calculation" time to ~600 us. Any faster and you'll risk instability.
0 Likes
User11520
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 5 replies posted
Dear agallenSMX,
thank you for your reply. I just knew that it is possible to have a series of chirp into the same frame but my purpose is to have something similar to a unique frame with infinite chirps. However, I understand that it is not possible.
Your suggestion about how to speed up the time frame is very useful for me, thanks a lot again.
0 Likes